HELP Trouble Shifting into First Gear

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I belive it's normal for our cars to have some difficulty shifting into 1st and 2nd when the weather is cold but lately even during warm weather I am having slight difficulty getting it in the 1st gear. I have to somewhat force it into the gear and feels like something is either blocking or making it grind (notchy). Could I have a bad synchro? Or is this just normal?

Thank you

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upshifting or downshifting?
Is the car sitting still or is it decelerating/accelerating?
Had any work done lately involving the tranny?

Could be a bent shift fork.

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mine occassionally does it too. At light, completely stopped. Have to shift to 3rd or 4th and then back to first. A couple of times I have had to shift into 2nd and start out there, Did not want to force it!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bent fork or hydraulic problems. For some reason your clutch is dragging.
I don't think I ever heard that there was a problem shifting into gear when the car is cold.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This only occurs when the car is stopped. However, if I put the gear in reverse, it goes it very smoothly. It doesn't feel like the clutch. I can definitely feel something rubbing as I shift into 1st gear. Again, this does not happen all the time.

Thanks again for everyone's input

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem. As well sometimes I can't shift into second unless I get it past 1500rmp, or put in neutral and give it a wiggle then put it in second...can be quite embarassing when you are just taking off slowly at a light. But then again...it's a Viper, what am I doing taking off slowly at a light :)

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce - wouldn't bad synchro pretty much prevent you from shifting into that particular gear? I just came back from another drive and the car drives fine - ie. shifts easily into 1st but i know it will come back. Is it possible that certain parts of the synchro may be bad?

Thanks

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
qotone --

Your problem is built into the transmission. There is a by-pass that forces a shift from 1st to 4th if you start out slowly. They say it "saves gas mileage" -- whatever! As you have found out you can avoid the by-pass by revving over 1500 rpm. Aftermarket suppliers carry a "skip shift eliminator" you can install and make the problem go away.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes certain teeth on the synchro can be dammaged -- from power shifting, or whatever. I think you should have your tech look at it before it gets worse.

These transmissions are well tested and generally bullet proof. Parts are easy to get. Get it checked out.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were the dragging clutch, as I thought, your worst condition would be the shift into reverse. No synchros in reverse.
I'd say the problems you have are in the trans.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update - took it to the dealership and had one of the tranny guys drive the car. Verdict - it's normal. ha, what's new.

Anyway, I am thinking about changing out the fluid to see if that helps. I doubt it as the trouble I am having - comes and goes - is that while shifting to 1st from a deadstop, it feels like I am catching something and then you have to force it through to properly engage in 1st. If anyone has any other suggestion, I am all ears...

Thanks

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sbkim

I have exactly the same problem as you. I also had the exact same problem with my C5 Vette. It is normal, as the chevy dealer told me. It does not happen all the time, and ONLY happens at a dead stop..at a red lite. If you are moving slowly thru a stop sign(California Slide)...it goes into first everytime. But at a COMPLETE stop it does hang up..But only maybe 1 out of 4-5 times or so. Nothing to worry about. Solution is to shift from 3-4 and 2nd, and into 1st. I was told by the dealer that sometimes the gears and syncros do not align up 100% of the time at a stop and it is normal.

I have learned to live with it and it is not a big problem. If the tranny locks up, or gets stuck in a gear, or grinds...well then that is a problem, and I will get a new one under my warranty. Keep driving and enjoying your great Viper. :2tu:

Dave

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave - thanks for the reassuring words. I am with you that I am certainly not going to let this bother me. Heck, that's why god gave us extended warranty ;)

I guess my biggest concern was doing damage by forcing it into 1st gear but as you suggest, I will shift into other gears and then into 1st.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know about cars but this is a common problem on some sport bikes. They way it was explined to me is thing of the gears having holes in them and the drive train pokes into those holes. Typically the holes are big enough to allow you to easily go from one gear to the next but if the holes are tight, which allows for less slop it is possible not to get to a gear with out letting the gears rotate a little. On a bike you simply let the clutch out a little to get the gears to rotate slightly and you can then drop into the next gear. This may or may not be the best explination for it but it was the one give to me and does make some sense. Don't know if cars are the same way or not but next time it happens see if just letting the cluth out and then pushing it back in helps.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gears can be given another chance to line up properly.

If you find that it doesn't want to go into first at a dead stop,
shift to neutral, let up on the clutch, push clutch back in,
try the shift to first again.

This maneuver spins the gears and gives them a chance to re align.