Clunking rear end when shifting after 3.55 installl - Could be normal.

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the 3.55 gears put in about 2 weeks ago and now think I hear a pretty noticable clunk when shifting. Nothing like the car is falling apart, but you know after you do somethiong to your car, you can't remember what it used to do. If I am coasting about 5 mph and push the clutch in and shift from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st, it sounds like the rear end is clunking. Is this natural? Is everyone hearing this. I am thinking it is natural, but again rather hear someone else say there's does the same thing. Those 3.55 really take allot of getting used too.

Chris

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should not have this sound, if you used the Unitrax kit, the car would have less slack. Seems like there setup uses pretty close tolerences. Mine has near none in it.

These cars do tend to magnify some of the natural sounds, due to the fact you are sitting very close to the drive train, mainly the trans, and diff. But are you saying the car is worse than before?

Skip White

OP
OP
D

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a unitrax system installed by unitrax themselves. I would say it seems worse because I don't ever rember hearing it. Now me and the passengers both look at each other with a sorta weird look like "is that supossed to sound like that look".

I need to take it to them to get the gear oil changed after the first 300-500 miles. I will have them listen.

Thanks

Chris

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you lower gears in a car, it will backlash harder when you let of the gas, kind of takes getting used to. It's quicker, and a good bit harsher on deacceration, going in on the clutch quicker seems to help. Not saying you can't drive, but we tend to get used to the nature of a car, and when we change something, we have to change our driving habits, not to mention part of this is one of the drawbacks of low gearing.

These things can allow the clunking noise to happen easily.

I recomend you let someone with an SRT drive your car, or visa-versa

Skip

ps,I really don't think Unitrax would do this setup wrong, but anything can happen.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I think I saw that you're in so Cal. I am too. I had Unitrax Anaheim install my 3.55s and don't have any abnormal clunk or issues. Perhaps we could hook up next weekend and you can ride in mine / I'll ride in yours to see if there is some difference in the two cars. Mine's an 04 SRT-10. Email me if you're interested in some feedback.

Also, as Skip mentions, sometimes when you change things, you have to change your driving habits a bit. And sometimes, you notice something that was there all along, now you're just looking / listening for it.

Dan