5-6 pt harnesses, where to purchase? Which install the easiest?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in need of a 5 or 6pt harness for my GTS.

Just for a couple events coming up. I would like to be able to take the harness back out when I am finished. Only using them for a couple events each summer.
Which are the easiest to install and uninstall? Do any of them attach where the exsisting belt is set?

Thanks

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe NHRA is changing it's requirements to 6 point for next year.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put in, and would recommend, TeamTech 6 point. This requires you to make some permanent changes to the panels behind the seats. I would not consider the install easy.

I'm not aware of any harnesses that wouldn't require you to use the bolts in the bulkhead area and therefore require some "alteration" to the interior but I'm not certain.

I suppose you could remove the panels and leave them off while the harnesses are in and then replace the panels/bulkhead when you're done with them if you don't mind the unfinished look.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say those TeamTechs are a real b*tch for a street car. Straps going everywhere. A real pain in the *** for a car that is only going to be tracked a few times a year.

Of course now, somebody is going to say how much more safe they are than other standard restraints but there is no conclusive evidence supporting it.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say those TeamTechs are a real b*tch for a street car. Straps going everywhere. A real pain in the *** for a car that is only going to be tracked a few times a year.

Of course now, somebody is going to say how much more safe they are than other standard restraints but there is no conclusive evidence supporting it.

Chuck, what would you suggest? I have been thinking the same in regards to the TeamTechs. I wouldn't be looking forward to that install!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The install will be similar no matter what brand you use. You have to cut slits in the bulkhead (bulkbutt?) behind the seats.

Personally I like Simpson and Schroth. If they are good enough for NASCAR and F1 they are certainly good enough for me.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having just installed the TeamTech 6 points last weekend I have to say that it wasn't a picnic and it took a lot of time. Of course I'm one of those anal compulsive guys that wants everything to be perfect. If you follow the instructions in the "how to" section of this board you will end up taking the seats out and putting them back in a few times, which is a pain if you want to keep the sharp edges of the rails from scratching the interior. Putting the interior back together was not as easy as taking it out. Trying to get all of the screw holes lined up was a pain. I now have all of the straps adjusted so that the central locking mehanism hangs down in front of the seat and out of the way when not in use. It is also possible to pull the shoulder and waist straps back behind the seats and out of view when not in use.
They look great but are not very comfortable - especially the shoulder straps. The padding is quite firm and rubs on the sides of your neck, especially with your arms forward in the normal driving position. A soft padding there would be a real plus. Also, be sure to close you door at least part way before strapping in - otherwise you can't reach the handle to pull it shut.
One more thing: I used the template from the "how to" section to cut the holes in the rear panels. They need to be larger than that. I could not get the hooks through the narrow slits. Rather than trying to cut the holes bigger I removed the hooks, threaded the straps throught the slits and then re-attached the hooks. Not a hard job but time consuming and unexpected.

If anyone has any questions give me a shout.

Bob K

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with your comment about the shoulder straps rubbing your neck. I have the TeamTech harnesses and noticed a big improvement in comfort with a set of harness pads installed.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my harness pads from Jon B. They come in most colors and velcro around the straps. You may be able to find pics on here with a search.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala