Replaced brake pads and rotors - brakes are grabbing/vibration

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. Any input on the following would be helpful. We just replaced the factory brake pads and rotors on the RT with Eradispeeds and EBC Greens. Proper procedure was followed, exactly as when we did my GTS which is problem free.
When the brakes on the RT start warming up, they start grabbing and the car starts to vibrate. Its like riding in a car with the wheels unbalanced. This happens at speeds of 45mph etc. We then bled the system and it was working fine yesterday, until I drove the car a few miles today. Started doing the same stuff. What needs to be done? The same setup is on the GTS and not a single problem. And the car also pulls slightly to the right when braking.

Thanks for the help, as always.

Bindy

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the brakes are sticking. Were you able to move the rear pistons in far enough to slide the pads in easily? If it's really stuck, it's a piston on the left side not working (then braking pulls to right.) Any wheel smell different than the others?

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your piston was stuck your car will pull to the right all the time, and it should not vibrate. It sounds to me like you have an un balanced rotor or rotors. the rotor will warm up and expand more, that will make the rotor touch the pad and cause a vibration. I would change the rotor and put the original back on and see if it does the same thing.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm... those phenolic pistons Chrysler tried in the late '70s would stick in the bore and rub the rotor enough to create heat and vibrate the rotor, but not in a position to steer the car. Go figure, but the fix was steel pistons. But since the rotors are new, switching back is easy and a good idea.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Vipercane,

I was thinking about doing this same upgrade to my RT/10. You said it worked fine on your GTS. What would be an honest guess (unless you have hard before/after numbers) as to how much improvement there was in your braking distance?

Thanks!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipercane,

I was thinking about doing this same upgrade to my RT/10. You said it worked fine on your GTS. What would be an honest guess (unless you have hard before/after numbers) as to how much improvement there was in your braking distance?

Thanks!

HUGE improvement in LOOKS!! :p

Last summer I had on stock rotors and EBC greens. I felt the the stock pads were a BIT better than the Greens in stopping.

With new GREENS on and the Eradispeed Rotors my GTS feels like it stops better than ever! Much better than with the stock rotors/Green combo. And even better than the stock setup as well.

No actually Magazine tests done from this GTS owner though! :p :p
JMO!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I have a set of NEW in Box EBC Green pads for the FRONT.

Anybody need these PM me, you'll get a deal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth