Ignition Control Module or PCM

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 1995 Viper...
Has anyone had their ICM Ignition Control Module go bad?
What about a PCM go bad?

I'm going through the steps to troubleshoot a speed sensor check light which is affecting my speedometer. The diagnostic manual takes you through the steps and if certain parameters are met, they say to replace the ICM or PCM. I'll get there when I get to that part in the test but I wondered if these ever go bad and this is highly unlikely.

I went through physical connections the other day and everything looks great, clean, no corrosion, even the bulkhead connector after I peeled back the rubber boot looks good.

It would be nice if someone offered parts for rent...deposit down, x amount to rent. I pay to rent these for a week to eliminate possibilities.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check the speed sensor with an oscilloscope? When the speed sensors go bad they give erratic signals that cant be picked up by simply turning the wheels and checking for pulses.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, actually replaced speed sensor because that is what I initially thought. Now I wonder about the others and wonder how often, if ever, they go bad.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even better would to swap with someone and see if they inherit the problem. I'd do that, maybe somebody with a garaged car that is sitting still could help you.