Smog in Ca.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had thier blown gts smogged in Ca. The car has a carb sticker. In other words, can a paxton car pass the sniffer test on a rolling dyno? The car has a vec 2. Can a card be programmed to help pass emission, or am I screwed?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A paxton, with all the documentation and CARB numbers, should pass smog. Other variables like no cats and how it is programmed could cause a fail. You need to go to a smog shop that is familiar with SCs, this setup or vipers in general, which is a big plus in helping you pass smog more smoothly.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car has cats. Thank god because I was about to pull them.
The programming is what scares me. I have not had a car smogged in Ca on the rolling dyno. Do they bring the car up in rpms enough so your on a lot of boost?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know, but we do have a very knowledgeable smog person in the SoCal VCA that I will point towards this post.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have no problem passing SMOG as long as you have a Certified CARB #. The SC will not change your emmissions ...Usually what causes SC guys to fail SMOG is lack of CARB # and they often have an aggressive CAM installed.

Cheers

J

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although my Viper is not supercharged, I have a 1998 Mustang GT with an intercooled 10 psi ProCharger system. When I had that car emission tested on a rolling dynometer, the operator never loaded the engine enough to achieve notable positive manifold pressure. Thus, the engine behaved essentially identical to a natural aspirated version.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news, and thanks for the responses. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The emissions dyno test (called IM-240?) is a prescribed speed-load cycle that they must follow regardless of engine power output. In fact, how closely they follow the procedure is a significant factor in the test. The only change to their dyno they make is to simulate/accomodate the weight of the vehicle being tested.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two ways to pick up an rpm signal during the smog. First is on the plug wire, second is if the smog machine is connected to the OBD2 connector under the dash. If the car is smogged with the OBD2 connector, there might be a problem due to the fact that the smog machine will access the PCM to check for any abnormalities. If you pick up the rpm on the plug wire, the smog test technician will have to tell the smog machine computer it's not hooked to the OBD2, thus it will not access the PCM. Do it that way. I can't tell you if it'll pass out the exhaust, probably depends on the card. dj

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I know the guy since high school that will test the car. We will pre-test and hope for the best. I'll see if the tuner can come up with a card for the vec2 that wil make it run leaner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger