SRT-10 in the rain

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New owner here --

Just wondering how many of you drive your cars in the rain?

And for those that have / do, how does it handle and what are your thoughts on its functionality in that environmen?

for those that don't drive in the rain, do you choose not to for care/cleanliness reasons or for driving/handling/risk issues?

thanks in advance.

I don't "plan" on driving my car in the rain on purpose -"ooh it's raining, I gotta go drive" - no that's not me. But I live in Texas and it tends to rain fairly often and without much notice and I do plan on driving the car, since that's why I bought it. Just looking for some info for when the time comes.

Chris

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine (got caught) in the rain in New Mexico and it handled fine. I kept to the speed limit and slowed considerably before turning and took it really easy on clutch releases. The roads here don't see much rain (7" per year) so they don't always allow for normal operation when wet but I didn't have any issues, at least to 70mph.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not yet and really don't want to.If anything like other sports cars in this area it *****!!!Also if you do get caught in rain let me know how long it takes to clean your car.THE CORRECT WAY NOT FORD CLEAN

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Never will drive it in the rain, have other cars / trucks to drive. Don't want to have to clean it afterwards, but I'm sure it would "drive" just fine. Just take it easy. Mine will currently spin the wheels on dry pavement by just adding throttle pressure in first gear in a straight line on dry pavement. In any kind of a turn, it will spin in second gear too. Again, just take it easy.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody that goes to VOI's will drive their cars in the rain. Trust me on this...even in Vegas....RAIN! Texas should be NO different. VOI = RAIN.
Just my $.02
PBR

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT is my daily driver. It goes in the rain regularly...no problem but have to be smart.
I don't mind that it gets dirty. It's after I first clean it that I worry about it getting dirty. After it's finally dirty I am relieved and can drive it however, whenever and wherever I want till I can't stand it any more.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's mostly a tire issue.
Gen 1's and early Gen2's with Mich Pilots had a tendancy to hydroplane, even below 60 mph in puddles.
With the improvements with Pilot Sports the improvement was dramatic. The SRT's with the run flats seem much better in the wet.
Still wise to be very alert when driving wide tire'd, 500 hp sports cars in the rain. Slow down until rain lets up.
Lots of us drive in the rain. Car washes up nicely.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I regularly get rained on in my SRT. Even at speed the car handles very well. The tires channel water much better than the Gen 1 or 2 tires. Watch the throttle on acceleration.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well living in Louisiana I drive in the rain almost everyday. The SRT is much better than the old RT10. I am able to go a lot faster and be stable. But we get 72 inches a year and there is no oil biuld up on the road. Just watch the throttle and don't punch it.

Dean

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to know what the big deal is about driving in the rain. Really, when I see posts like this I honestly do not know what the possible concerns can be. Drive your friggin cars in the rain! It's no big deal. Maybe it's because I live in the NW and it rains all the time so I'm used to it, but wet roads are no problem in a Viper. I drive my 99 GTS frequently in the Winter during slopping wet rain and wind. It handles great, and the Pilot Sports are fine, I've drivin at wet track days ant the grip is excellent - just watch the application of throttle on corner exit and everything will be fine.

Really. Just get out there and drive in the wet. The only possible problem is that the car gets dirty.

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets