700 HP supra owner to Viper GTS

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at a 96 GTS blue with white stripes. 30k miles 2 owner car. car is in great shape. What is fair market for this car? It is located in Texas. I have owned many Supra Turbos, recent one with 700hp.. Looking to pick up a viper.. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think $40,000.00 is about right. I have a B/W with 32,000 miles on it and there is no way I would sell it for less than that. I have won my class in every show that it has been in ( World of Wheels and Mopar Nationals)so Vipers can look good AND be driven. Any other 1996 car that is being sold with similar miles would be considered a low mileage car. Where in Texas is the car? I'm close to Dallas and I will be there next week if you would like a second opinion on the car I would be glad to look at it for you. Also, does the car have an extended warranty? I don't think you can get them anymore on the 96's if it does not have one already. That wouldn't keep me from buying the right car but it is a bonus if it has one. All 96's should have the later model fan upgrade done. Ask the seller if this has been performed. Sounds like you have found a nice car. Good luck.

Doc

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood is a little popped up exactly like that its no big deal it has adjustments. I gotta get to mine pretty soon but I have been lazy.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
40 days ago I bought a 98 GTS with 27,500 miles for $40k. I was a little rough, but pumped 150 psi in every cyclinder in a compression check yesterday and after a new exhaust system and under $2k of other miscellaneous parts is a nice car. If it is great shape I say shoot for $40k. P.S. you might already know that some engine builders like the earlier/heavier Gen II engine since it has a stiffer block to support huge hp applications, so that might be a benefit to you assuming you will be modding the car like your Supras.

EDIT: but then again, my car came with the HRE wheels which I could probably sell for $4k so adjust accordingly. Maybe shoot for $38k.

OP
OP
E

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, i think i will pick it up this weekend, everyones advice is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
E

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
going this weekend to buy the car.. any last minute advice?

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look it over REAL good and don't get such a ******* for it you can't walk away. I would have had it checked out by a Viper tech before you go look at it. Or at least a fellow Viper owner.

If you have done your homework you should know what to look at-(fluids, maintenance records ect)it really needs to be on a lift.

I hope it works out

Bill

OP
OP
E

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, i wont have time for anyone to check out the car, it will just be me.. what do i need to look for??

thanks

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Examine the panels carefully, you wouldn't want to have any nicks or scratches surprise you the first time you Zaino the car. Not to say that there shouldn't be any... just make sure you're comfortable as to where they are.

Dings on side sills (aluminum) are tougher to repair.

Yellowing of side sills - check the forward edge of the side sill for yellowing (might be modest as the blue tends to hide it)... it's from the heat, no biggee.

Interior - Examine carefully for wear (once again, YOU have to be comfortable as to the condition they are in)

Neutral Gear Rattle - Normal (sounds like a throw out bearing while the car is idling... goes away when clutch is depressed)

Check A/C - Make sure it's cool... not "blendable" so don't be alarmed if you roll that lever to "red" and it still is blasting cool

Owners Manual/window sticker/extra key/fob? Nice to have

Check all gauges for functionality

Recall info? You may want to run the VIN through any Dodge dealers service computer for history. A 96 will need the "999" recall (frame bracing).... if it wasn't done, just bring it to one of our Viper oriented dealers ... if it was done, make sure it was done so that the oil filter is accessable.

FYI: If original paint (or a knowledgable repaint).... the stripes WILL have an edge to them, similar to what you would expect on vinyl tape stripes.

Airbag - if cutoff switch is present, it means that the owner obtained the kit from DC for a retrofit

Wheels - NOT as shiny as the '98's, might have a "normal" haze to 'em

Tires - Might be ready for a new set

Rear - check for small black dots on white stripes on tail of car (normal from ultra heated oil particles that exit the pipes)... another one of those "just want you to know before you buy" items

Front facia - check for nicks, accept the fact that the very lower bottom edge WILL be scratched!

Outer (decorative) Gas Cap - tends to oxidize modestly around hinges. Check it out (just to know what you're getting)

Thermostat - Don't get nervous, our snakes tend to run hot (200-210+ from what I understand is acceptable)

Engine compartment - should be rather clean, as our Vipers do NOT leak or spit, nor do they have porous block or heads.
Check to make sure the power steering cap is on and tight (as they do have a tendancy to loosen...and occasional disappear)

Look - smell - listen - ENJOY!

Can anyone add to this? Maybe we can make a prospective owner checklist? Jay? JonB?

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have already had one offer for someone to look at the car-if it is not in the Dallas area post a note as to where it is. I would bet that a Viper owner in the area would go look with you. This is really the best thing to do-a owner will know what to look for (since you are not having it checked by a Viper tech).

Links:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=424890&Forum=UBB14&Words=buying&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=424890&Search=true#Post424890

http://www.viperclub.org/articles/buyviper/

There are probably more; remember young grasshopper "the search button is your friend, use it wisely"

Bill

OP
OP
E

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper is in Austin Texas.. any viper owners in austin here?

OP
OP
E

Eulogy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i picked up the car for 37k.. what do you guys think?

kazkaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a damn good geal to me :)

Do you mind tell me where you have looked for a viper? I too am coming from a singled supra to a viper gts... Currently I am looking at autotrader and the classified section here. And I can't find a deal like the one you have struck...

Good Job!
Kaz

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Great Price ... now call 800-998-1110 to join our VCA!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456