Super Cup vs Pilot Sports - anyone have the details?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Time is coming up very quickly to get my baby a new set of shoes. I've heard that Michelin may stop (or already has) making its Pilot Sport C1s (which I have and absolutely love) so I decided to surf the internet and see if there was anything new to the market. My first stop was Partsrack - and low and behold here was a similar priced Michelin with agressive tread and soft compound dubbed "Sport Cup."

Anyone know this tire yet? I like the look, but, unlike many, I drive regularly through heavy rain and I'm not sure how the tread pattern will work under real world conditions. Also the tread on the pilots lasted 15,000 miles - way too short IMO - so I am guessing that I would have to expect less time with the Cups?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on my car and they hook great. I have only put a couple thousand miles on them so far and never driven in the rain, so I can't answer your question there. I know that with the Sport Cups on, transitioning from left to right to left (turning) is much more snappy and less sloppy feeling. Hard to explain until you go from regular sport pilots to Sport Cups.

-M

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm picking up a set of the "Cups" next week in preperation for the Silver State Classic Challenge. They have been recommended to me by a few folks. I have no experience with them, however.

Bob K

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the tread on the pilots lasted 15,000 miles - way too short IMO

Put down the crack pipe! 15,000 miles is way too short what are you kidding? If you think that's short you'll hate the Cups. Pilots = 220 tread wear rating Cups = 80 tread wear rating, you figure it out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me unless you've got disposable income like crazy Manny driving cups on the street would be a waste. And if you're experiencing the full potential of them on the street you must be out-running cops all day long. It's just a guess since I've never run them but are they not closer to a Hoosier than a Pilot Sport? And you'd be nuts to run Hoosiers on the street.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I would say they are much closer to a pilot sport than a hoosier, at least on the street. I don't make a big habbit of lighting up my tires, but I do accelerate like a mad man everywhere I can with a blown car, and they are hold up well. I agreet though that if budget is an issue, stick with Pilots -- they are good for the money and last a long time and you cna always pick them up used on forums like this for a song.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Michelin Super Cups are pretty good but you might want to ask around for the Michelin D Cups. They are hard to find are rarely advertised but I find that they are superior to the normal cups. Ask around for them.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the Sport Cups at Viper Days. They are more like a slick than a street tire. I'm sure they can be run on the street but I'm not even sure the tread depth is legal.
I managed to get two track weekends out of the set I currently have on my GTS but they weren't holding too well by the second Sunday afternoon.
I personally wouldn't run them on the street on my car.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I was talking about Pilot Sport Cups, which certainly do not resemble a slick -- those are what I drive on daily. I misread the title.

-M

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manny I was thinking the same thing. I have pilot sport cups & new they did not look like they had a whole lot of tread. They hook up great on the street!

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala