exhausts

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a happy new (to me) Viper owner of a red 2000 RT/10. I love everything about the car except the exhaust note. Based on the modifications I note most Viper owners have made, I guess I am not alone in this opinion. Can those of you who have been through this process advise me on what would be the most reasonable and inexpensive option that is emissions friendly and legal. I am considering a catback system such as Borla or Corsa. Any suggestions welcome.
PAvenom

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome pavenom,

I have been looking for the perfect sound for at least 3 months now. Some of the old posts are great to research the different systems out there.

However I cannot stress how important it is for you to hear these systems LIVE! Also what type of note are you looking for? In general if you just want to change the catback to achieve a louder / better tone you have the following choices:

1) Borla: Most economical, Bassy, low rumble at idle, aggressive sound at WOT. IMO not very loud.

2) Corsa: There are people who love the Corsa but I think it does have that UPS truck sounding, tinny sound. The plus side is that it has no drone like the Borla.

3) Belenager: LOUDEST of the bunch by far.

4) B&B: In my opinion THE BEST overall compromise between all the above catbacks! Great Sound and outstanding quality and finish. I say that even though I have a Borla on my RT/10.

To make any catback louder you can remove the cats or get high flow cats.

GB

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for . . . you might get it. I have a full exhaust which supposedly features a special quiet design ("I'm not sure I want to build it this way because I am worried you will think it be too quiet" they said). Well the thing is stupid loud. So loud that I often feel like some sort of dorky teeneager when I am driving it. I have no idea why people like loud cars.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like both loud and quite cars and have both. IMHO the Viper is a car that shouldn't sound like a UPS truck. :usa:

OP
OP
P

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greatbeyond enthusiast,
Thanks for your reply and advice based on experience. One more question, some of the posts suggest that both B&B and Borla have a significant drone. Is this true in your experience?
Thanks,
PAvenom

OP
OP
P

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,
Based on what you have (ie no cats and Borla catback) I would assume your Viper is quite a bit louder than stock. No?
PAvenom

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet is to attend a Viper Club meeting and listen to all the variations as exhaust note is a very personal decision. Everything is available from mild to wild. Drone isn't much of an issue in an RT and easy to shift out of in the GTS. :usa:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my exhaust about two months ago. I read, read, read and talked, talked, talked before doing it. I'm very pleased with the results.

Left stock headers/exhaust manifolds in place, changed to RT 3" ceramic cats, B&B 3" catback.

Car now has a much more aggressive idle, is a little loud up to about 1,500 rpms. From 1,500 to 2,500 there is really no drone and it is rather tame sounding. Above 2,500 and the volume starts to rise. WOT is awesome and sounds like a modern race car. My favorite part is on decel, burbles and pops and sounds wicked. At 65 mph on the highway in 5th gear I'm running just shy of 2k rpms. No drone and probably quieter than stock. Down shift and/or put your foot into it and you are reminded you are driving a Viper.

Parts and good info came from Jon B. @ PartsRack.

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pavenom,

In all honesty drone is a bigger probelem when you have a GTS. Since RTs have trunks they do not suffer as much. Borla makes 2 exhausts. The older one is part number 14663 and is louder because it has 2 resonators in the side sills (it's also more expensive). The new version of the Borla has 4 mufflers instead of 2. It is supposed to have less drone compared to the original system, but I dont think it's as loud. However keep in mind that you can get one for around 700 bucks brand new which is HALF the price of some of the other ones. If you want to go louder or "adjust" the volume, simply cut out 2 of the extra mufflers and it will sound like the older Borla. If even that's not loud enough take out your cats or replace them with high flow ones. Hope this helps!

PS: Look at the classified section of the site, someone was selling their used Mopar / Borla system for 200 bucks!!! In case you didnt know the Mopar system is the same as the old Borla (14663).

GB

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got B&B headers and exhaust. Sound is awesome, I get many compliments even from v-8 guys. Exhaust are not cheap though.

You could always start with a simple and cheaper muffler delete system like the one Snakoyl makes. Its not LOUD like many catbacks, but it also sounds meaner than stock.

Congrats on the car. What part of PA are you from?

OP
OP
P

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Simms,
Thanks for your reply and the advice. I am located on the extreme opposite end of the state from you in New Hope which is on the Delaware River about an hour north of Philly. I have recently joined the PA/WV and also the NJ regional VCA clubs so I hope to meet you and hear your Viper in the not too distant future.
Regards,
PAvenom

OP
OP
P

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Greatbeynond enthusiast,
thanks again for the info. I will check out the classifieds.
PAvenom

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!

Use that "search" feature! 99.9999% of the questions you are seeking answers to have been answered numerous times, probably within the last month.

"Standard" exhaust reply:

Get to a VCA event, Viper Days event, local club event at ******* to hear, see, and smell for yourself all the different sounds that the V10 can make with different systems and combinations.
Exhaust "sound" is VERY subjetive and folks are VERY passionate about their OWN system. So......make your own decision based on what YOU like!

And REMEMBER...... Read EVERY post EVERY day so you don't miss a beat!

And JOIN the VCA it's only .27 cents a day!

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave