Near dead battery - need help

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery in the snake was near dead (left the radar detector on a few days ago). I hooked the charger up to the car and after a few minutes got the car to start using the jump start feature of my battery charger. Anyway, the car runs and restarts now without the charger hooked up but will not idle below 1500 RPMs or so. I've tried resetting the PCM but still no luck. The car ran normally before this (last Sunday). What gives? Is it idling high trying to charge up the battery or is something hosed up?

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got it hooked to the charger now, so I'll probably leave it over noght and see how it does tomorrow.

Reaction score
I've got it hooked to the charger now, so I'll probably leave it over noght and see how it does tomorrow.
It's pretty straight forward -

If you killed the battery and it doesn't seem to take a charge after a couple of days (at low amps) you may have damaged it. I suspect your car is a 2000 model year? It's time to buy a new one if you haven't already. The PCM may need more time to relearn after the battery has been discharged or replaced. But, a bad battery will not allow the car to idle if it is indeed bad.

A low amp charge at a longer rate of time is a quality charge.
A fast charge at a higher amp setting will not fully charge a battery - Better to fast charge and follow up with a slow charge.

Best Regards :2tu:
Doug

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Doug. I quick charged the battery to get the car to start. Now it starts on its own but still idles high. I'm going to go change the setting on the charger in a little bit to give the battery a slower charge. Hopefully, it'll be back to normal tomorrow or else I'll have to go buy a new battery.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. The charger reported a full charge in the battery but my idle is still hosed. What gives? Is the battery bad or is something else coincidentally messed up?

Reaction score
Ok. The charger reported a full charge in the battery but my idle is still hosed. What gives? Is the battery bad or is something else coincidentally messed up?
How would you like it if I erased your memory :cool:

Here's what to do:
Forget what the charger is telling you, continue to charge at low amps.
When your battery is presumed to be at full charge tomorrow disconnect the leads at the jump post for 1/2 hour. Reconnect them and start the car. Turn the AC on. Now, drive the car for a while in traffic and allow the PCM to relearn. Don't help the idle by giving it gas, it will do it on it's own - give it time!

Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the battery fired up the car ok this morning but still wouldn't let the idle drop. I decided to get it changed out and discovered that the factory battery was still in the car. I guess almost five years out of the original battery ain't too bad (the car was built 10/11/99). Anyway, the car idles normally now and actually coasts along al low speeds way better than it did before - it used to buck quite a bit in 1st and 2nd when the RPMs got low that seems to have been smoothed out by the new battery.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where the hell have you been? I've shot you a couple of emails but no answer...what's the deal, now that you have a GTO you're too good for us Viper owners?