Starter Problem

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my brand new '04 had it's first issue today. After driving for 20 mins. and shutting the engine off for 2 mins. The starter jammed on restart. It turned over for a split second, then the starter stalled just like in an engine that has too much static timing. I kept the starter button depressed and the engine did start but the shift light turned red if that means anything. I also smelled burning/melted plastic just after the engine started. All the gauges read normal and there is no MIL light. The engine ran fine all the way home. Is this a serious problem? The engine does have an aluminum flywheel.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would check connections on starter NOW as a first step...also check main grounds...then see dealer regardless.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen this "Double Start" condition on MANY SRT-10's. It is an inherent glitch in the BCM, which controls the starter engaugement on the SRT's- unlike the previous generations that were linked directly to the key cylinder. The main thing all seem to have in common is how long the key is in the "run" position before the start button is pressed.

Was what you experienced like a "Click, Crank, Dead, Click, Crank, Start"? In rapid succession of course, quick enough that there was no grinding of the flywheel teeth.

I cant explain the burning smell though... only time I have ever smelled that is idleing in traffic for a LONG time on a hot day, or starting the car while it was still VERY hot- you can smell all the plastic in the engine compartment. Was the car still hot when you cranked it? you may have gotten a wiff from the engine compartment when the fan started spinning, or through the A/C system.

OP
OP
V

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say your "Double Start" description pretty much sums up the situation. The burning plastic smell might have been me just being nervous. It was a hot and humid day and I had just pulled off the freeway when I parked. At any rate, I took the car out twice after the incident with no problems. I'll check the ground and starter connections and if it happens again, I'm taking it to the dealer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456