Harmonic balancer loose

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone read the article linked to API tech info website? For a stock motor, it seems the OEM cast steel might be the better choice. Here is the magazine quote from testing: "The bottom line here is, so long as the engine spec does not allow excessive rpm and/or out-power the crank, a cast steel piece is actually better than a forged or billet piece and a heck of a lot cheaper." The ATI unit is $445, OEM is $90.

Here is the link: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/ford/smallblock/0306mm_windsor2/

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a question to add to this informative thread... How does one get a torque wrench in there? With my quick look at the situation, there appears to be no way to get a wrench close to the bolt. There are cross braces above and below. It looks like you'd have to put on an extension and get out closer to the radiator, but that would be a hell of a set-up to try to achieve 250 ft-lbs with.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Noticed last night that the bolt on the harmonic balancer was loose. The harmonic balancer had moved forward and cut a strand off of the belt. It has an oil leak on the front seal now. Has this happened to any one and was the crank damaged.This is on a 98 RT/10. Thanks

thats how my factory repurchase hppened on my 04 srt.

vd..

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of great information in this thread regarding the harmonic balancer. I'm not trying to hijack or change the topic, but would like to put this on the table. I have one of the largest precision balancing facilities in the U.S.. Our focus is primarily non automotive related parts(with the exception of high end automotive components...turbos, superchargers, flywheels, carbon fiber driveshafts etc.)

If anyone is interested in having their harmonic balancer precision balanced before re-torqueing...let me know. If I see some feedback regarding this post, I will start a new thread, answer any questions or concerns and provide more details about our service.

Thanks,
Lance

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I know this is an old thread, but I was working on removing my water pump due to a leak and noticed my Balancer bolt was loose.

Just a reminder, Guys check your balancer bolts!

I just ordered an ARP replacement bolt. Plan on 250 ft/lbs and red Loctite.

ARP-2402501 for $37