Shared parts between Vipers and other brands.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been addressed a few times and I have searched the archives but I cannot find enough details on the part numbers. I'd like to compile a list of Viper parts that are shared with other brands (Chrysler and non-Chrysler). The reason is obvious to me. Cost!

Jeep 5.2L 93-96 power steering pump + reservoir part# 52088139AC is the same as the Viper 97-02 power steering pump + reservoir part# 4642153. It lists for about $250 as a Jeep part and $540 for a Viper.

That said, here's my first entry.

1. Power steering pump
- 97-02 Viper part# 4642153
- 93-96 Jeep part# 52088139AC

I know there are fog lights and steering rack, switches, ford crap, etc. So everyone please contribute. I'll keep bumping this thread for a while so bear with me.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one for you. Don't know the part numbers, but the part is the glove compartment door latch for Gen 1 Vipers(RT/10's). The part is the same as '91 - '95 Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyger, and Chrysler T/C. Dealer cost is $43.xx. I went to the junk yard and got 2 of them (because I found 2 vans with them still in), for $7.50 total. Yes, seven dollars and fifty cents.
Later,

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper inner tie rod ends (not talking about outer tie rod ends) are the same as a Dakota. You can purchase inner tie rod ends for a Dakota; for a Viper, you have to buy a whole steering rack.
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=122429&Forum=All_Forums&Words=steering%20rack%20dakota&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=122429&Search=true#Post122429

Rear caliper piston dust boots are from an Eagle Premier, AutoSpecialites part KC-83017.

Lower pressed-in ball joints are part number 4848 174. Upper ball joints are the common Ram van/pickup piece (that I can't find the number for right now.) Thanks, Janni.

Front brake piston seals and dust boots are available individually for $11 and $4 at Truechoice.com (the 38mm seal BRE05.5955.57, boot BRE20.4872.45, 42mm seal BRE05.5955.59, boot BRE20.4872.47)

The $80 Viper skip shift eliminator plug is the same as the $29 Chevy "version."

An underdrive crank pulley for the 5.9L fits on a Viper, use belt number 25-060760. It's only 5-rib, so one rib shows, but has worked fine for 6 years.

Porsche deflectors are 993-341-084-00 and 993-341-083-00 for $15 at the dealer.

The trailer hitch is from a ... never mind.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AviP,

Would you happen to know the Jeep part number for the High Pressure hose with couplings that attaches the Power steering box to the resevoir?

Mine let go on where it attaches to the resevior.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
J.R.
:usa:

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you happen to know the Jeep part number for the High Pressure hose with couplings that attaches the Power steering box to the resevoir?
Sorry, I don't have that info. But if you find out, do post it on this thread.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.. what is the part number for that wiper motor that comes from the rear of a caravan? My passenger side wiper motor is going bad... I was quote $300+/- for replacement at the dealership?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though the wiper motor is based on the Caravan rear motor, it is my understanding that there are some synronization electronics enbedded that preclude a direct swap.

Perhaps you can open up and install the old motor's electronics...

vettekiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clutch through out bearing is the same as a older ford truck im pretty sure but I know its the same as something because we had one laying around the shop I used

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't there something a few weeks ago about some of the rear brake parts being of Ford manufacture?

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headlight switch inside the passenger compartment is from a... FORD. The switch is stamped G952A. I don't know what car this is but I will try to find out.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what an excellent idea for a thread.... tho I 'm sure DC no likey

Still - why pay Viper tax for everything if you do not have to, you made the biggest investment when you bought the car!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear brake calipers use a Brembo casting VERY similar to Eagle Premier, Dodge Monaco, Renault Alliance vintage 1990. The difference is the reach over the edge of the rotor (the Viper rotors are thicker) and therefore also the length of the brake retaining pin is too short. Everything else is the same as an OEM 36mm Viper caliper.

If your calipers are ***** for some reason, you can get things like the large caliper slide, caliper slide boots, small caliper bolt nylon sleeve, parking brake cable arm and spring, bleeder screw, piston dust boot, piston seal, piston and all parking brake internals, simple by ordering a rebuilt caliper and moving stuff over. Rebuilts are around $75; same price for the caliper attaching hardware kit alone from Dodge.

If you need internal parts, order the correct side. The parking brake ratcheting mechanism inside the caliper is left or right handed.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about a fuel pump relay? I can't believe i had to pay 22 bucks for a 5 dollar relay. I hope to god it fixes my problem.

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rebuilt my tranny. The shop saved me a bunch of money on the gears by getting parts for a T56 Camaro transmission. Same parts at a much lower cost. Been driving it hard with no problems.

MannyG

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rebuilt my tranny. The shop saved me a bunch of money on the gears by getting parts for a T56 Camaro transmission. Same parts at a much lower cost. Been driving it hard with no problems.
Could you post the part numbers from your billing invoice?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fuel pump relay for $22? I wouldn't complain. The ones for a Mercedes are $189. And that's the cheap Mercedes.

Anyway, there are numerous parts on the Viper that cross reference with other cars. The auto industry has been using outsourcing quite heavily for the past couple of decades. Those contractors who build a part for Chrysler often offer the exact same part to other manufacturers if the contract doesn't prohibit it. A friend of mine works as an engineer for one of the suppliers and he said they try to do this with every product they develop. Makes perfect business sense.

Let's be careful though. Both The DeLorean and Rolls Royce clubs have tried to make lists like this and I found that, even though the parts usually seem to work, they started causing other problems because they weren't designed specifically for that use. The tie rod ends or brake parts, for example, could be made to much lower standards and designed for different stress levels if they're made for a non-performance car. Not likely but it happens. The DeLorean had gas pistons to hold the bonnett up that seemed to work fine but turns out were too stiff. After using them for a year or so the bonnett would actually start to bend upwards. Not fun.

Since Chrysler is still screwing us on alot of the exact match parts, I say we primarily look for Chrysler cross-reference parts as that's probably where the part came from in the first place.

Another tip from the DeLorean world: When trying to cross-reference a part, don't use the Chrysler number. They can (and do) create a new number for the same part when it's meant for the Viper. Don't ask why. ;) Instead, look for a part number stamped into the assembley and then use that number along with the actual manufacturer's name, if available, to cross-reference it.

I'm also about to start designing and producing various parts that are no longer available or needed improvement to begin with. I'll post here when I get the prototypes.

--Rob

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this on eBay, so can't verify it's true.

BXH 12572
BENDIX
NEW MASTER CYLINDER

Year
1992-99

DODGE

VIPER ALL ENGINES (1992-99)
26MM

FORD TRUCK

AEROSTAR ALL ENGINES (1992-97)
26MM