NEW VIPER COUPE

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they have listened to people saying "We want a coupe" and "The curves were cool". Then they have decided the solution is that thing - a SRT10 front end with a GTS back end. *** is that thing? For starters, it would look a lot better without the huge ground clearance!

What was so hard to understand? Everyone loved the CC! That's the one piece of advice they didn't read - "Make a street legal CC". It was a no brainer. SRT feelings were mixed, but the vast majority likes the CC. YOU HAVE A PERFECT COUPE SITTING THERE. USE IT! DESTROY THIS THING!

You can't mix curves and angles. I would have said go back to the curvy shape (because I am a huge Gen 1/2 fan) instead of keeping on trying the straight edge stuff - but the CC is perfect! Now if the Gen 1/2 people like the CC, what is wrong? If you can convince a die-hard Gen 1/2 fan like myself, it must be good.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TomSlick --

I'm with you. Never owned a Chrysler before, but the Viper got me there. Now I'm starting to look around . . .

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper D--

What are you doing over here?(just kidding) I also think the SRT is the best looking open car ever, but they can't mix the old with the new like their doing. I'm a coupe guy and would like a new coupe like we've been seeing, not what they showed at Dallas. I know in person the car probably looks better than pics, but they can come up with something better than that. You know people are going to tell you your car is the best looking car ever, then they'll go tell the next guy that his car is the best ever.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby, do your photoshop magic and get rid of the double bubble and rear deck spoiler. Do not lengthen the rear deck or change the ground clearance. See if these two mods get the car more in line with the CC.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats funny I had the same remarks about the gts. I won 3 trophies that day and in 3 diffrent classes with my srt.

people said it was the best open top car they have ever seen!!!!

vd..

Those people must not have seen a ******* gen II. :smirk:

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with the "coupe is UGLY" crowd. The comp coupe lines were/are gorgeous. That thing they have labeled the SRT coupe would be out of place with a Hyundai label on it :(

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ewwwww........ Is that what all the hype was about?!?!?

You know I heard they took that Designer (The Corolla-turned-viper designer guy) out behind CAAP and shot him for the SRT. Sadly it appears they only shot him full of crack and gave him back the pen. Oh well, at least there's comfort in knowing EVERY auto-design student will have work after college...even the ones who don't show up for class.

Comp Coupe = second prettiest Viper I've ever seen.
SRT Coupe = the grand continuation of the whole SRT crap line (SRT4 Excluded.)

Well at least its assured now that the rumors are dead - no one from Benz...er...I mean DC, actually reads what people say here.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper D--

What are you doing over here?(just kidding) I also think the SRT is the best looking open car ever, but they can't mix the old with the new like their doing. I'm a coupe guy and would like a new coupe like we've been seeing, not what they showed at Dallas. I know in person the car probably looks better than pics, but they can come up with something better than that. You know people are going to tell you your car is the best looking car ever, then they'll go tell the next guy that his car is the best ever.

I am with you 100 % It seems like they took the cheapest way approach just slap a top on it and reuse the gts rear. Not to innovative!!!

vd..

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must have bad vision. I think the car looks like what people here have been asking for. Hatch glass, GTS tail etc. Looks almost exactly like a comp coupe with a higher/shorter (practical on the street) rear end and higher roof line. You CANNOT make the comp coupe for the street! Why? it's too low. THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT LOOK SO HOT! It would scrape an ant off the road, front or rear!

Yes, this car needs a 1" lower ride hieght and a longer rear end. With those mods (already photoshopped) the car looks almost like the comp coupe, but could still be driven on the street. Why so much crying about that?

That said: it's obvious the budget dollars went into the Me-412, but this is a very good effort for tiny funds. Let's hope they saved some for HP improvements.
IMO

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best dodge could come up with?????? This is the same namesake that originally wowed people in the early 90s???????? I saw the new vette this weekend, and even though I'm not a big fan of corvettes, at least GM came up with a cool design. I really hope this is not what the coupe is or will become. Please say it's not finalized or the photos don't do it justice, please.

What I find the most interesting is that every other concepts I've seen for all their OTHER CARS (Magnum SRT, 300SRT) are awesome and look agressive etc. Do they have some flunky doing the designing for the viper????? Did everyone see the pics of that magnum??? IT's awesome.
In order to make the COUPE look good I think I'll have to do even more work than I had to with the SRT. I thinking of getting a coupe in the future, but unless it looks much better in person, Enzo will be getting my money.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this new Coupe looks like the best Coupe ever made. And I've had 3 GTS'. I loved the GTS when it made its debut. And I love this new Coupe equally. I'm happy DC decided to listen to us and made it / when the rumor was they were not.

Thanks for stepping up Dodge!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a nice talk with a marketing/design guy from Dodge while at VOI8, after the debut. While I think the new "GTS" looks good, as the SRT looks good, neither look GREAT, because of the angles/edges rather than curves. I explained this very succinctly to him, and he was very interested in the input and took my business card, so maybe there will be followup.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a nice talk with a marketing/design guy from Dodge while at VOI8, after the debut. While I think the new "GTS" looks good, as the SRT looks good, neither look GREAT, because of the angles/edges rather than curves. I explained this very succinctly to him, and he was very interested in the input and took my business card, so maybe there will be followup.

Did you get his business card? If so, post his email and number here and we'll give him a couple ideas to make that Coupe the one from our dreams! :p :p

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
In my humble opinion.... please, whatever you do... DO NOT POST HIS BUSINESS CARD HERE!

They closely monitor this website, and LOVE to see your comments ... but bombarding their e-mailbox with suggestions... will not be anywhere as good as compiling them here.

Did you get his business card? If so, post his email and number here and we'll give him a couple ideas to make that Coupe the one from our dreams!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went through all the posts on the New Coupe and besides GTS-R Concept, which I would sell my Lung and liver for, I really like the changes made here:

You must be registered for see images

The wheels should be easy to get, so pretty much just extend the rear section a bit, add a Roof scoop, side vents(like GTS-R) and I'm IN!! :2tu: Oh, you could have the BBS wheels chromed for us!! :D

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you guys are right about it looking better in person because it's horrible in photos and I didn't say the same about the SRT when I first saw it. Looks like an autoform botch job. HOPE I EAT MY WORDS!!!!!

Also, enough with the photoshop nonesense, I'm embarrassed for you guys.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went through all the posts on the New Coupe and besides GTS-R Concept, which I would sell my Lung and liver for, I really like the changes made here:

The wheels should be easy to get, so pretty much just extend the rear section a bit, add a Roof scoop, side vents(like GTS-R) and I'm IN!! :2tu: Oh, you could have the BBS wheels chromed for us!! :D

This kinda grows on you, but IMO It shouldn't have to grow on you. It should spark more emotion than this. You can raise the GTS-R and it'll still work. You can raise the CC and it'll still work. If not I'll have to buy a CC with options, and try to get a license plate on it :p . Hey it's probably still cheaper than anything that will compare.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of the front views are really good, but that rear ducktail has got to go!

Really dates the design.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT THING LOOKS LAME! Like trying to meld two different generation Vipers together.

The new SRT coupe only needs to look exactly like the following to be a success: (don't forget the 600+ HP)

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frist impression was cool,but seeing the side view it looks like DC had some left over GTS rear ends and tops.It doesn't flow with the front and side of the car. The lines aren't right. I must agree with the majority, not what we want, but keep trying.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ways things are going, it looks like the C7 and GenIV Viper are going to be the same car. Maybe DC and GM will merge and make it official.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it looks "OK". I can't see why Dodge can't make the comp coupe design for the street. I agree that the back end will have to be shortned. The key to the comp coupes aggressive looks is the wider body work. That's what sets it apart. I have no intention of getting the SRT coupe unless they incorporate the wider stance of the comp coupe.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing "it is growing on me". I feel the same way. But dam it, IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO GROW ON US!!!!

Did the first Viper have to grow on us? Either you loved it, or you hated it! (stole that line from a friend)

This Viper should be the same way. Actually all Vipers should be that way!

The GTS-R SHOULD Be the GEN III Coupe! PERIOD!

I was there. I saw the new one in person. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not what it could or should be.

I spoke at length with an SRT employee about the coupe. He seemed genuinely interested in my thoughts and ideas of the Gen III SRT and the new Gen III Coupe.

I got the feeling that he felt they missed the mark on the SRT, and he openly said what we saw as the Coupe is not what he had hoped it would be. He said there were many things that required compromise to make it practical. Like a trunk. I don't need no stinking trunk. My Viper does not need to be practical what-so-ever. It's a toy! It's not for my mother-in-law to use as a daily driver. I don't need an outside temp gauge, I don't need the feel of the road taken away, I don't need the trunk space, I don't need a garage door opener on my viser, I don't need a cup holder! If I would have chips, dips, and drinks in my Viper I sure as heck couldn't be enjoying it to the fullest!

When I drive my Viper I take it out for a few hours, drive it hard, clean it up and put it away. I want it loud, I want it fast, I want it to look EXOTIC.

Gen I and Gen II's are EXOTIC cars. The GTS-R is an EXOTIC car. Those look like NOTHING else on the road.

The new Coupe will grow on you. It's not terrible. I've seen worse. It's just not what the Viper/SRT Team needed to stay ahead of the game. The GTS-R however is, and would keep the Dodge Viper in a leauge of it's own. Exotic and Wild as the Diablo's, the Mercilago's (SP?), the F-355's, the Tesstarossa's, etc... and all at a much more reasonable price point. Not to mention that it will outperform most all of them.

I did ask the SRT guy about the HP. I said you are sand bagging just like Ford did on the Ford GT. You will wait until the last second and then tell us it's 650HP right? He just said, "Don't set yourself up for disappointment."

BUILD THE GTS-R! DON'T CHANGE A THING ON THE OUTSIDE! PUT A 650HP HEART IN THAT BEAST AND DODGE WILL LIVE ON FOREVER AS THE KING OF ALL STREET CARS!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why on earth would they make a street coupe that doesn't look like the race car/CC? That makes no sense.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a way I'm glad I don't like it much. I no longer will feel compelled to sell my GTS for it. If it looked like the comp coupe, I'd be saving my $$$ for it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty bad, when you have 88 potential buyers (amount of posts today from Viper owners) and MAYBE 8 will consider buying it.... vs. 80 NOT buying it...

DC, ARE YOU LISTENING?????????????????????
(Or should we spend the money somewhere else?)

:( :( :( :shocked:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456