NEW VIPER COUPE

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just think that the Viper market has buyers who are attracted to different things in the car.

All want a high performance, stylish, great handling and stopping car. But some want a more drivable, practical car, and some want a wildly styled racecar.

In the $40K sportscar market, these buyers would separate into some buying a Porsche Boxster, some buying a Corvette, and some buying the Lotus Elise. They are similarly priced two seaters, but wildly different in their designs.

I think that the GTS-R and Comp Coupe are nice looking as racecars, but would suffer in making the car as something that would be anywhere near daily drivable. Sure they make more of a styling statement, and project a wilder image of what the Viper is. But you can bet that such a car would be met by the automotive press as a crude, cartoonish toy (as the European press saw the early Vipers).

For the guys who want a irreverent, racecar Viper, meant as a weekend plaything, they don't care one bit about what some pansy writer thinks, as they probably drive a Camry.

But DC looks to be finding a mid-point between wild styling like the Enzo (which most people love or hate), and drivable high performance cars like the 911 Turbo, which lack the devil-may-care, unbridaled passion in favor of something that looks good, but doesn't offend.

Personally, I'm pleased with the SRT-10 Coupe's styling.
I do still prefer the flowing lines of the GenII Viper better, but I do like the merging of the two styles, including the better elements of both designs.

But I prefer convertibles, and the biggest benefit of the Coupe is that hopefully they will raise the power of the SRT-10 convertible too, once the new SRT-10 Coupe comes out.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in their right mind that would hate an Enzo.But if the coupe comes out anything like it was shown, I won't be buying one.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think the Enzo it an attractive car, It is attractive in it capabilities and exclusiveness but he 360 and new 430 are sexier shapes IMHO. If i were spending a Mil on a car it would probably be a McLaren F1, still the king of all road cars! The F1 also has the distinction of being the only sports car in modern time whose values have not gone down even 10yrs later!

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some "old" ideas,

You must be registered for see images

for the "new" car... :2tu:

PS -> Throw one of these in as an option, and hold on to you're order forms ! !

:ooo: :cool: :) :laugh: :shocked: :D ;) :p :usa: :eek: :2tu: :headbang:

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC do you see these pics above? Please look and if that doesn't get you excided, then go find another job. I'll take one at whatever you want for it, and I know a couple(dozen)other people that will take one too. Good job Todd. Let's get our point across. :headbang: :2tu:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onerareviper --

You're right on about the new coupe . . . and I really don't think you and Ron are far apart either. I've talked to him and I know he's not a fan of the new design, but he's also correct in pointing out that we shouldn't get too carried away with extreme comparisons. While the GTS was a giant step forward for those who wanted an enclosed car, it had it's detractors on various points too. There's plenty of room to have both a good convertible and coupe -- heck, even Chevy figured out that one in their own way!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. What I think I was trying to point out is that the current ownership group is not always the best to determine what is the most appropriate car for the future. In 1995 the ownership group was all RT/10 owners, with a stated preference for roadsters. Plus, given that they purchased the RT/10, they were at very least willing to accept the pure rawness that it offered. Had they voted the GTS may not have existed. Thankfully that did not happen as the GTS is a beautiful car, and clearly increased the Viper's marque, both in appearance and in performance.

Getting back to the SRT coupe concept what I believe we agree is that the combination of angular design for the front and the rounded aspects of the top and back do not work together. And that the top needs to flow into the car (quarter panels and rear fascia) and not look like an add-on.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All want a high performance, stylish, great handling and stopping car. But some want a more drivable, practical car, and some want a wildly styled racecar.

I think that the GTS-R and Comp Coupe are nice looking as racecars, but would suffer in making the car as something that would be anywhere near daily drivable.

Not sure I agree with these statements. How does the styling effect driveability? Obviously a street version of the GTS-R would lose the front/side splitters (possible the wing), and probably be raised an inch. But it would still look every bit as bad asp, and be very tasteful IMO. I don't see why this car would be any less driveable than the VOI concept coupe, as were just talking a different body style. And let's be honest, 99.9% of Viper owners don't use them as daily drivers anyway. How many Viper's are for sale with over 50,000 miles? Diluting the Viper styling is THE WORST marketing mistake DC can make. The SRT-10 has already shown this, and the Coupe will even sell less if the design is not aggressive and jaw dropping.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure this looks great:

But it has maybe 3/4" ground clearance!, and no real suspension travel. You would need to raise it up around 4" more to make it up driveways, through *** holes, and over speed bumps. And you would likely lose the ground effects, roof scoop, and giant rear wing. And most likely the sleek, low roof would have to be raised a couple inches more to fit in normal seats and still allow for helmets to be worn by 6' tall drivers.

For cost reasons alone then SRT-10 Coupe needs to be built on the same chassis as the SRT-10 convertible, just as the R/T10 and GTS shared the same chassis, and only essentially differed in the roof, trunk and a few other bits.
The tube-framed racecar Comp-Coupe is simply a different animal, and I'd bet that it would be well over $100K to try and make the racecar street legal, AND drivable.

I've driven my Viper nearly every day for 3 years now, and I still love it. So there are some Viper owners that want drivability as well as speed, style, and beauty! :2tu:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure this looks great:

But it has maybe 3/4" ground clearance!, and no real suspension travel. You would need to raise it up around 4" more to make it up driveways, through *** holes, and over speed bumps. And you would likely lose the ground effects, roof scoop, and giant rear wing. And most likely the sleek, low roof would have to be raised a couple inches more to fit in normal seats and still allow for helmets to be worn by 6' tall drivers.

For cost reasons alone then SRT-10 Coupe needs to be built on the same chassis as the SRT-10 convertible, just as the R/T10 and GTS shared the same chassis, and only essentially differed in the roof, trunk and a few other bits.
The tube-framed racecar Comp-Coupe is simply a different animal, and I'd bet that it would be well over $100K to try and make the racecar street legal, AND drivable.

I've driven my Viper nearly every day for 3 years now, and I still love it. So there are some Viper owners that want drivability as well as speed, style, and beauty! :2tu:

Good points, but I still think they could design a body nearly identical to the CC or GTS-R and it meet your criteria. Don't ruin my dream :p

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Dodge needs to do to the SRT coupe is put the wider flares on it. That's it, it will make all the difference in the world.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is there concern over the design of the SRT-10 Coupe Concept?

6594VOI8_Coupe_Concept-thumb.jpg

First, to put things into perspective, here are some of the other coupes that the SRT-10 Coupe will be compared to:

Starting with the car that will be the first comparison for many -- the Corvette C6 Z06 with maybe 500 bhp (we wish them well!)

6594C6_Z06-med.jpg

Then there are the Ford entries, both announced with a 600 bhp V10. Starting with the GR-1 . . .

6594GR1_side-thumb.jpg

6594GR1_top-thumb.jpg

6594GR1_front-thumb.jpg

. . .and following with the Mercury coupe.

6594VipPics_024-med.jpg

6594VipPics_025-med.jpg

If you're interested in kit cars, there's the Noble with serious performance credentials . . .

6594Noble_side-med.jpg

6594Noble_front-med.jpg

The rumored turbo version of the new NSX is interesting . . .

6594NSX_front-med.jpg

65942004_Detroit_Auto_Show_009-med.jpg

The new Audi Quattro LeManns Coupe will have the same engine and mechanicals that are dealing the Viper Comp Coupes fits in the GT1 class.

6594audi_lemanns_quattro_frontangle_mn_430-thumb.jpg

6594audi_lemanns_quattro_rearangle_mn_430-thumb.jpg

And the Porsche Boxster is getting ready to come out as a coupe (albeit without Viper power).

6594Boxster_Coupe-thumb.jpg

6594Boxter_Coupe_rear-thumb.jpg

If you are more interested in walnut veneer than horsepower there is the Jaguar XKR coupe . . .

6594Jaguar_XKR_Coupe-thumb.jpg

6594Jaguar_XKR_Coupe_side-thumb.jpg

or the Maserati GT Coupe.

6594Maserati_coupe_front2-med.jpg

6594Maserati_coupe_front-thumb.jpg

Oh, and don't forget another DC product, the AMG SLR Mercedes . . .

65942004_Detroit_Auto_Show_010-med.jpg

All of the previous cars are in the general price range (some a little higher) of the Viper. If you want to start going up the price range, there are coupes like the Aston Martin DB9 . . .

6594Aston_Martin_DB9_front-thumb.jpg

6594Aston_Martin_DB9_side-thumb.jpg

or a Ford GT, or a Saleen S7, or any Lambo (even older ones).

6594lambo-med.jpg

I'm sure I've left out serveral other cars that should be here. I'm not advocating one over another one -- what I'd like to see is that Viper stays at the head of the pack. You make your own judgements as to where the SRT-10 Coupe Concept rates.

When the GTS Coupe came out it didn't have to take a back seat in design or performance to any competing coupe at any price. It's a tall order, but that's the same standard we want for the new SRT-10 Coupe (at least within their price range). We know that Dodge (DC) can do it. Look at the ME-412, it doesn't have to answer any questions because everyone's jaw just drops!

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the little red x's to at least be thumbnails. Go to my gallery to see a larger sized picture of the thumbnails until we can get them blown up (changing to .med doesn't seem to do it).

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points, but I still think they could design a body nearly identical to the CC or GTS-R and it meet your criteria. Don't ruin my dream
LOL!

OK. Why not just buy a Comp Coupe, add lights and signals, paint it the same color as your regular Viper, and then swap license plates from your Viper and drive the CC out on the road. :laugh:

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep this going, you only have a few more days to make a difference. Say it LOUD and say it PROUD! Good points all of you and very well done. I would think no one reading would be too offended, yet I think the point is being very well made.

The one point we do not know the answer to is what portion of the program has to come from existing parts in production? I am sure that will have something to do with what we see as the final version as well as the cost. All new will cost mucho more!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very disappointed at VOI when I saw it. I tried to imagine it with chrome wheels and couldn't even smile at it. I kept trying to remind myself that this is just a concept car. I took over 4 rolls of film at VOI- not one of the "new" coupe.

DC: Make it 600hp and look like the Comp Coupe. Go to work baby!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To DCX,

The new Coupe should be the CC. Do it up Black Mamba style. Launch it at AIAS with a little Jimi Hendrix Star Bangled Banner while Gary Scelzi peddles that bad boy onto the stage. You'll sell 2 years worth before the smoke clears.

P.S. I have a problem with the White concept above and the original CC show car. These chop tops look great, but they don't leave any helmet clearance for tall guys.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the new coupe definitely coming out? Initially my impression was that it was a concept but obviously if they went through that much effort they are going to release it. The question is when? 2005 model or 2006? Do we think there will be a horsepower bump?

I have had my GTS almost 4 years. I am to the point where it's either time to start modifying it or get a new car. The SRT did not do it for me. The SRT coupe is not as good as it could be but if it has 550 or more horsepower I will upgrade. If the SRT coupe is a 2006 model with only 500 horsepower I would probably be happier getting wheels, suspension, brakes and a blower. It would be nice to have as much info as possible now as I would hate to dump $15,000 in my car only to see a 2005 coupe available in January with 600 horsepower.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala