haggerty insurance stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i live in new jersey with 4 cars on my auto policy. no points no accidents 27 years old, along with my wife. carried insurance for 5 continuous years with allstate cause of the decent rates total, only 786/year for full coverage on the viper under a pleasure vehicle driven under 7500 miles a year.(this is the least amount of miles catagory anyway, car actually only sees 1k/year. aprox) i know what you guys are thinking though, less than 800 year for the viper is great. im not saying that i only want to mention that after watching speed vision the other day and saw haggerty's commercial for collectors cars i figured if i was to insure it as a car driven very seldom as it is with a company that specializes in such cars it would have to be better. not only was there guote double my allstate quote!!!!! as soon as they found out it had nitrous they told me they couldn't insure it anyway? giving me some BS about stress on the engine. is this an auto insurance company or an extended warrenty company? guess if you have a blower they dont want to talk to you either! do any of you guys deal with these characters, WHY? :confused:

nfelmlee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also in South Jersey. Only $786/yr -- where do I sign up?!

-nick

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, But if your car gets stolen with Allstate, you will be paid Actual cash value. Which on your car is about $35,000... Blue Book..

With Haggerty, the value is stated by you.. I'd be willing to bet that premium represents about $50k value, right??

These is much more to consider, other than price, when you buy insurance.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm.......kind of the oppisite for me here in VA, they were cheaper when I called to get a price on a Viper to replace my 98.

Nationwide 600 year (they insured my 98)
Haggerty 486 year (quote they gave me on a 2001!)

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, But if your car gets stolen with Allstate, you will be paid Actual cash value. Which on your car is about $35,000... Blue Book..

With Haggerty, the value is stated by you.. I'd be willing to bet that premium represents about $50k value, right??

Hey Ron, aren't you supposed to be working, wait a minute, so am I! i thought it was interesting that those deadbeats wouldnt insure a nitrous car. and yes i quoted the policy at a car value of 50,000. not too sure if what you say on the allstate only paying bluebook though, i remember filling in a value or net worth on the car at time of each policy renewal. besides if the snake was lost/stolen ... and allstate tried to settle with me for what the bluebook states. someone would be a deadman! UNDERSTAND!!!

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Ron, aren't you supposed to be working, wait a minute, so am I! i thought it was interesting that those deadbeats wouldnt insure a nitrous car. and yes i quoted the policy at a car value of 50,000. not too sure if what you say on the allstate only paying bluebook though, i remember filling in a value or net worth on the car at time of each policy renewal. besides if the snake was lost/stolen ... and allstate tried to settle with me for what the bluebook states. someone would be a deadman! UNDERSTAND!!!

There is a big difference between a stated value policy and an agreed value policy. Under a stated value policy you will be paid EITHER the stated value or the actual cash value - whichever is LESS! Under an agreed value policy - if $50,000 is agreed and you car is stolen to totalled you receive the $50,000.

I'm going thru this right now b/c after I let my insurance know about all my mods - they cancelled the policy for "Substantial change in risk: The 1998 Viper has been modified to increase speed performance."

Cars with moderate amounts of mods are fine with traditional insurance. Once you start getting into $30,000+ in mods - you need to make sure you are covered.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Grundy. I have the GTS insured for an agreeded value substantially over the book value. I had to get an appraisal and provide it to them before they would insure it for the amount I wanted. The appraisal and the application detailed all of my mods. They gave me no problem. I pay $1,500 per year which I think is reasonable for the insured amount.

Bandit400

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of it like this... You save $1,000 a year on your insurance premium... But during the 10th year of coverage, the car is stolen or destroyed... The agreed value would have paid out $50k (assuming thats what you had requested). Where the Allstate policy would pay Blue Book. Which is about $35,000-$37k (give or take a few bucks) with regard to the vehicle in question... Now, even though you saved $1,000/yr. for ten years. Your still out $5,000 if the car is stolen..... So, it boils down to... How much risk are YOU willing to assume, to save some $$$ on your car insurance...

There is a big difference between a stated value policy and an agreed value policy. Under a stated value policy you will be paid EITHER the stated value or the actual cash value - whichever is LESS! Under an agreed value policy - if $50,000 is agreed and you car is stolen to totalled you receive the $50,000.

I'm going thru this right now b/c after I let my insurance know about all my mods - they cancelled the policy for "Substantial change in risk: The 1998 Viper has been modified to increase speed performance."

Cars with moderate amounts of mods are fine with traditional insurance. Once you start getting into $30,000+ in mods - you need to make sure you are covered.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but more times than not. The agreed value policies are cheaper.. Becuase they are vey restrictive, as far as miles and use go... Plus, they require you have the car garaged at all times.. But I owuld assume most people with Vipers keep them in a garage anyway..

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but more times than not. The agreed value policies are cheaper.. Becuase they are vey restrictive, as far as miles and use go... Plus, they require you have the car garaged at all times.. But I owuld assume most people with Vipers keep them in a garage anyway..

This is true. Grundy however does NOT limit miles - but no driving to work or errands and you must have a second car.

It really won't limit how I already use the car - but it is the only way to insure all the money I have sunk in the car.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't drive it to work or errands. Can't park it at a restaurant or movie theater. Way too restrictive to be practicle on anything but a collector car (which I also have) IMO.
I'd rather enjoy driving my car where I want and when I want and "lose" some money in the event it is stolen or totaled. That's why I keep traditional insurance on my snakes.
I also track my GTS and accept the fact that it is totally uninsured during these events.
I wish I could have it both ways, but I can't...so I choose to enjoy my cars the way I want and hedge my bets as best I can.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about grundy and haggerty etc.Have your house,appt,business,other vehicles all done by the same insurer.State farm has a low rate for non-driven cars during the winter.No collision,etc.Had car appraised by a nationaly known appraiser.He wrote up description,interior exterior condition,picture,mods,pictures of,purchase price,color,# in that color/year etc produced.Mine is appraised at $75,000.00.I turned in the appraisal with pics in the spring to the ins man and its in my file.Car stolen or wrecked and I get $75,000 or rebuild up to that amount.He appraises cars all over the country,does authentication from 1908 and up.Will not bother with corvetts.Too mnay cheaters.Goes to court with you as an expert wittness.Travels all over North America to appraise and autheticate,Listed in Hemmings.Local to me so I didn't have to pay travel.Appraisal fee $120.00.Founder of the buffalo transportation museum.(Pierce Arrow) Bruce

GTS-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on there v10Kingsnake. Hagerty insurance is an outstanding company who stands behind their policies. McKeel Hagerty, the president, is a close friend of mine and they insure my viper for an agreed upon value not blue book. For us one sport car guys their rates are great. Just because they don't have cut throat rates does not mean they stink! Finally, if you are going to bash someone at least spell their name correctly.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no flame to you or your friend, im sure he is a nice person, but i dislike his company OK. and as far as me spelling his name incorrectly i am sure it wasn't done out of disrespect. I also find it hard to believe that they insure your car with the listed mods under your post being that my ONE and ONLY sportscar generates a fraction of the mods/horsepower yours does. OK! obviously people on the board have opinions to express and thats what makes this forum so useful until people like you start to take cheap shots at other members, by implying their intelligence is less than yours because of a mispelled company name. Message to everyone. IMO- I would not give the formentioned company my business had they excepted my car anyway. Double the Premiums, Limiting milage driven so strick. this post was intended to spark the curiousity in other the same way it did in me by them not willing to take a nitrous viper almost 8 years old with very low miles in the ticker? You make your own assumption on the company, i didnt intend to offend you GTS-ACR but you have offended me. My object on the board is to make friends which share a common passion, understand more about in make-up and capabilities of our cars and share the knowledge i have on them as well. Peace :headbang: :headbang:

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would never think of Haggerty for a any insurance other then classic and muscle cars. And for that market, they are the best. I insured a 1969 Firebird that was stolen and they paid on time with no hassle. They presently insure my 1970 442 ($30,000 Agrred upon value)for about $250 a year with no milage limit. The only caveat they have is that the car can not be driven to work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave