Chrome Wheel Peeling

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One of my 5 star chrome wheels is beginning to peel. Don't know where they were originally chromed. Need to get it fixed. Looking for suggestions. Live in New Mexico...so I need all the help I can get.

Thankx,

george

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
we will NEVER have any crack or peeling problem with our chrome, like we do the GTS caps and intake manifold and other engine parts, they are all safe with our special Chemical on all our chromed parts, but due to the chemical price, that's why we don't wanna get into chrome wheels, and that's about the only thing we don't wanna get into...just cost way way too much...thanks

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my wheels is starting to flake a little. They were done by California chrome. Such a pita to send back!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a sign from above regarding the 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not put chrome wheels on a performance car." :D

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
California Chrome did the frame/swingarm on my first R1 and it peeled like a bad sunburn after only one week... stripped it down and sent back and... u guessed it... cracked and peeled after a month or so. Stripped it down again and had it powdercoated.

Not badmouthing their service - they're real nice people and were very polite on the phone and real quick turn around. Just won't be having them do any more chroming for me.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i do not have chrome wheels on my viper but the vette i previously had was chromed out. i cleaned the wheels alot to keep the shine perfect. but if you do it often enough there is nothing easier to clean then chrome. never use any chemical, if you cant get it clean with soapy water and a sponge, then you already screwed them up! only resaon the chrome should chip like the way several have described is a fault of the prep work prior to the actual zinc plating. calchrom comes HIGHLY recommended on this site. i have personally talked to john there and was close to giving him my 3 piece ccw wheels to chrome until i just desided to repolish the raw aluminum look. as good as the chrome if you know what your doing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper