"Photoshopping" forum?

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Photoshopping\" forum?

Some other car sites have "Photoshopping forums" where users put in their various "photochopped" creations. I have done a bunch for the NY/CT newsletter over the years, but I have also seen quite a few others out there who create these as well, -right from this site even - and I have some new ones to share, but there doesn't really seem to be a "right" spot for them... I think there should be a specific place to post these type of images.
Additionally, sometimes new products/hardtops/fascias are "photoshopped" first or created in a 3D modeling program, and then reaction is gauged. Also, sometimes people have "virtually" lowered cars, added stripes, "repainted" cars in a new color, or changed out rims to better visualize what that mod might really be like. This would be a place for these inages to be posted as well.
I think it would be nice to have a place to sort of gang these creations together,and it could engender interest from car design communities, which I think could have something interesting to offer. Also, it could be a place where The Factory could see what we are thinking, and perhaps they could even throw us a concept sketch, that they feel would no longer be in danger of compromising their industrial design properties.

I know, that last one is weak...

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Photoshopping\" forum?

Intersting idea, how about a Photoshopping gallery added to the "Other" area of the Galleries?? I see you just posted a bunch of images there.

Did you see someone recently posted your mid engine GTS in the Coupe thread, the one you did many moons ago?

30GT1Prototype-med.jpg

Bet they did not know you originally did it.

I still like your neat modified car carrier:

30Car_carrier-med.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I was hoping for a unique forum (or a "sub-forum"?), as it sort of alerts the general membership to a new image who otherwise may not be browsing the ever expanding galleries. From seeing it on a forum, they may choose to browse the galleries, yet it still will allow for that all important discussion and larger "audience" that I believe the forums bring to the table...

As it is, I did see that some old images of mine that were posted recently, and I decided to start putting a few old images up on the gallery. However, I do have a brand new sketch(es) (drawn just yesterday) of some forward thinking Viper-like vehicle(s) and I will post them (to the gallery and then...) to a forum, so members can look at them and comment. It occurred to me that I wasn't really sure where to post... I see that others have posted things of similar conntent at "RT/10 and GTS", and others have posted at "SRT and VGX" and others use "General Viper", and of course I can do this, but I thought a Photoshoping (photochoping?) forum could be an opportunity to add some unique content to the site, as it would invite these kind of images...

On the other hand, I guess general Viper Discussion is "a good fit" so this is not a pivotal issue, but I had seen another car site that had this kind of forum, and naturally I thought it was a plus, so I thought I would throw it out to you...

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jay, you need to add this. There are a lot of talented people who visit, might as well let them have a section to show that talent!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jay, you need to add this. There are a lot of talented people who visit, might as well let them have a section to show that talent!

ok limit it to chrysler vehicles only.I'm in!

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking through this site, I think this proposed "Photoshopping" forum would take the form of something like the Competition Coupe Photo forum. Not a huge volume forum, but valuable, and it is nice not to have to search the galleries for these type of images.

As it is now, the various "photochops" get posted here and there and then lost... It would be nice to go to a forum where one could access these photos as a group and see what has been done in the past and by others. Just having a collection of wheel fitment "photochops" alone would be a geat value, and that could be had with just a few posts on the new forum. In addition, stripes, color variations, hood scoops, hardtops, fascias, and overall "styling-studies/concept-sketches" would all be useful to view as a long standing group.

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Photoshopping\" forum

By the way - I like "GTS-R"'s (who posted above) simple but effective Photoshop "lengthening" of the VOI8 SRT-Coupe. I thought it was interesting how that simple Photochop mod changes the entire character of the vehicle...

Also, I am still putting some of those old black and white NY/CT newsletter "concept sketches" from my archives up to the galleries ("my gallery"). Here is an odd one that I came across from back then:

30PTgasser-med.jpg

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yeah...

This is what the new coupé should look like.

You must be registered for see images

Does anyone notice the mistakes in this picture?

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this new forum suggestion idea dead in the water?

Midengine SRT...

30midsrtcoupe-med.jpg

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Certainly not dead, but wouldn't a Photoshopping Gallery would accomplish everthing mentioned here? The new version of the galleries even provides for the ability to comment on images.

It looks pretty good as a Mid-Engined car..... Gen IV??

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Am I the only one who thinks mid-engine Vipers would be terrible?

Nicely done btw... I just hate the looks. :?

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay,

I would simply reiterate my earlier posts here, but in addition to that and put simply, it is a matter of exposure really. Take a quick look at the "ME Four Twelve based Viper coupe concept" thread started by "Godsil Performance" in the SRTforum. Nearing a thousand views in a short time, and a quite a few posts (even some by people other than me)! The "Viper SRT-coupe production changes" by "AlbertFattal" also is registering lots of views in a short time and lots of posts. I would suggest that if "AlbertFattal" had put his annoted styling analysis in the gallery alone, there may be little to no response and far less views than the popular discussion forums deliver, I would further suggest that the same would be true of the "Godsil Performance" midengine Viper image that started that thread.

A separate Gallery photo category would not create much new commentary or increase views in any way approaching the interest a discussion forum and its posts can generate.

Creating a place for these type of images to be posted and commented on, and to sort of gang these creations together, would add value to this site.

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay,

Open up this week's AUTOWEEK October 4, 2004 to page 6, and check out the news article on Digimods.

Ron

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We're not saying not to post the images just as you do now, you actually make a great point on the exposure, when posted in the forum that relates to the image, it will get lots of exposure, if posted in a forum just for photoshopping, it would get less exposure, more like say the "Events" forum.

If there was a Gallery catagory, when someone wanted to see ALL the photoshopped images they would be in one place, to get the proper exposure, they would be linked to and posted in the forum relative to the particular image as you do now, right?

OP
OP
R

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Photochopping\" forum?

Of course I think the "photochop" forum would be a topic unto itself... (AUTOWEEK Oct. 4, p.6)

Personally I tend not to browse the galleries, and the discussion forums is what I find myself drawn to, so I don't have a strong feeling about the gallery organization per se, but I don't disagree, a "digimod/photochop" category seems sensible...

If I had wanted to share that photochop car carrier (pictured earlier in this thread), what forum would that image relate to?

Anyway, read the AUTOWEEK article... I think there may be something timely there, but I fully understand if it isn't a proper fit here.

Here is another old black and white from the NY/CT regional newsletter circa 1998 (with caption as well)...

30SL800-med.jpg

The Daimler-Chrysler Viper SL800 Gullwing Coupe represents one possible outcome of the merger. This modern day version of the 300SL Gullwing coupe from the 1950s is based on a "notchback styled" Viper GTS. Power comes from the 8.0 liter Viper V-10, hence the SL800 designation.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Photochopping\" forum?

I'll certainly read the AutoWeek article when I get my copy... the Sept 27th Copy just arrived Tuesday :(

I personally love your stuff. I remember when it was all on the New York VCA Gen I Web Site.... I saved all the images before the new web site went in.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re:

I think a photochop forum would be awesome!

We obviously have some very talented members here.... and I betcha their creations will end up being "spy shots" on many other sites.

It will be interesting to follow.

Maybe we should ask that each picture have a VCA logo watermark behind each image so we can make sure the original artist gets credit if it ends up in Autoweek!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Thanks Joe

For me, the main reason I photoshop is to do creations for people, just because it's fun and see what ideas you can come up with like Ron's vipers. What I would really use my drawing and photoshop capabilities for is for DC. My dream is just to work and draw diffrent concepts of vipers.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Thanks Joe

For me, the main reason I photoshop is to do creations for people, just because it's fun and see what ideas you can come up with like Ron's vipers. What I would really use my drawing and photoshop capabilities for is for DC. My dream is just to work and draw diffrent concepts of vipers.

It looks to me that Your creation of the new coupe is way better that the cut and paste of the gts on the srt actual prototype. I wish you well with your dream job.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yeah...

This is what the new coupé should look like.

If it would be anything close to this, the line forms behind me :headbang:

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The new coupe MMUUSSTT have the small design ques that the GTS-R Concept had - such as roof scoop, WIDE FRONT, long deck, aggressive crosshair grill, and center hood vents with rear brake inlets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235