PIC - GTS with Comp Coupe Brakes!!!

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 2000 GTS sitting outside Valaya Racing, ignore the height of the car as ride height is still ebing set on the penske suspension.
3992GTS_comp_brakes3.jpg
:eek:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better get some good harnesses in there so you don't go through the windshield!

Nice mod...let us know how it works :2tu:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is good. My srt stops way better then my gts. Dodge did a good job on the srt brakes.
So does your car stop as well as the srt?

Max

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's not too impolite... approx. cost for the upgrade?

I don't see the SRT parking brake caliper. Did you retain?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Approx price is 4-4.5K for the brake setup including new knuckles and lots of extra stuff, the ABS is extra, Ted at Valaya can fill you in 408 448 8811.

There is no park brake caliper in order to facilitate installation of a small as 17 inch rear wheels so all racing tires and wheels can be used. 18 inch wheels fir with the existing as pictured rotors and Ted has made a sliding caliper bracket for use with smaller rotors for the 17 inch wheels. Ted has devised a line lock rear parking brake ( pretty trick) so no caliper is needed or used.

Steve

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I greatly appreciate the information! Does Ted read this forum? I'd like to know performance differences between your excellent setup vs. using Brembro front calipers all around. Additionally, how does this configuration on your car compare to the stopping power of the SRT? Do you have a car (SRT) to compare against? Sometimes the best mods aren't under the hood :2tu:

Congrats on your new found stopping power.

Jay K.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like a great mod for racing, but every time I've seen the Comp Coupe on a track the brakes make an awful scraping, squeeking noise under slow braking.
Is that just the heavy metallic pads that they use on the racecars, or do yours squeek badly too?

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those 19" or 18" Forgelines?

What ar eyou using for tires?

How does the setup work? This woould be killer if it could work on mu Gen I.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) And they said it couldn't be done :2tu:

2.) How are the Comp. Coupe brakes different from the SRT10?

The calipers are the same but the internals are different within the calipers, also the rotors are lighter weight and different pads.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I greatly appreciate the information! Does Ted read this forum? I'd like to know performance differences between your excellent setup vs. using Brembro front calipers all around. Additionally, how does this configuration on your car compare to the stopping power of the SRT? Do you have a car (SRT) to compare against? Sometimes the best mods aren't under the hood :2tu:

Congrats on your new found stopping power.

Jay K.

Jay,

Ted does not read the forum but is a huge supporter of the Norcal VCA and is well respected by all that know him. The stopping between this setup and the SRT should be same or better as the suspension has been modified in the upgrade as well and with the comp coupe bits and pieces the performance may be way better. The car had the engine reinstalled this week and should be complete by some time next week, I am going ot have Ted or Al test the brake performance and give an update on 60-0 distances. The distances should be better than a stoptech setup as both the SRT10 and comp coupe better the stoptech setup. I am going to compare the feel and performance against that of my SRT10 as well :2tu:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those 19" or 18" Forgelines?

What ar eyou using for tires?

How does the setup work? This woould be killer if it could work on mu Gen I.

19 inch forgelines are on the car now with pilots for tires, I have a set of 18 inchers that are going to get cups or hoosiers for more grip. You should call TEd to see if he can do on a gen 1, I don't know as teh suspension pieces on a GEn 1 are different than a Gen 2 but you never know, I will ask Ted on Saturday and post back teh answer if you don't call him by then.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like a great mod for racing, but every time I've seen the Comp Coupe on a track the brakes make an awful scraping, squeeking noise under slow braking.
Is that just the heavy metallic pads that they use on the racecars, or do yours squeek badly too?

Snakester,

The squeeling is purely a function of the pads, you could always go with EBC greens, they grip better when cold ( but fade sooner ) and less dust and far less squeeling or just go with the stock SRT10 pads. I have had no squeeling issues with my SRT10 for over 15K miles of everyday driving.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS-R 001, thanx 4 the post! tell bob iglesias i said hi (viper tech at valaya) he used to wrench on my old road race car and we used to rip it up in my drag boat. thank god i never succomed to the temptation of putting stoptech brakes on my viper. i think they look ugly. i will be putting this new viper srt-10 braking system on my viper. i think it looks way better and should perform just as well if not better than stoptechs system. i was told that in order for this system to work properly on a 96-2002 GTS that you must swap your master cylinder out for a srt-10 master cylinder as the srt-10 master cylinder is bigger. is this true? also i already have abs on my year 2001 does this abs have to be updated to srt-10 spec in order to be compatible with the conversion?

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

What changes were made to the suspension?? Also if you don't mind can you further explain the differences between the factor Brembro Calipers vs the Comp Coupe's Calipers. In my initial post I left out the mention of moving the Dodge factory Fronts to the back and buying a new set of Brembros in front.

Questions to compare.

Your new brakes configuration vs the SRT-10? Differences?

Your former configuration vs the SRT-10?

How different was it? Was there serious brake fade? Overheating?

Suspension improvements What'd you do?

Thanks for all of your time, information, and feedback.

Jay K.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that the internals of the calipers are different (that would be expensive.....) I believe the only difference in SRT vs. Comp Coupe brakes are the PADS. Rotors are STOCK and cheap. (Unless you are talking about the 2 piece Brembo racing rotors that are used in World Challenge).

The whole idea was to use the STOCK brake system in the Comp Coupe to contain costs.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT,

So the Calipers on the SRT and CC are identical? Since you would definitely be one in the know (IMHO) What suspension upgrades can be done to stiffen the GTS or make it similar in feel to the SRT?

Jay K.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,

From what I understand, the initial cc brakes had the same internals as stock but in the latest revisions some parts have changed. There have been alot of updates done to the comp coupes since they first came out.

Steve

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confirmed - Comp Coupe and SRT brake calipers are identical. Earlier / later cars and all in between. Again, one of the best things about the SRT is the brakes - and the fact that they are so good, they could be used - AS IS - in the Comp Coupe.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bugeater, No testing yet, but when it happens we will test against my new Comp Coupe

Jerry, I don't know what or who that is in the car Ted took the picture!

Janni, according to Viper Race Headquarters the Comp Coupe brakes use different seals more suited to racing temps that are different than the stock SRT10 brakes, but outside of that they are the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960