New member - looking to buy soon...

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the group and am in the process of looking for a '94 to '96 RT-10. My main problem appears to be a distinct lack of such cars in the area around Sacramento, CA. I'm willing to travel some distance though. Any general advice on what I should consider/ look for when in the market for such a car? Do the revisions on the latter end of the age I'm looking at (i.e. '96?) really make significant improvements to the car as I've heard? Also, is it worth going for one that's factory pristine or one that's had basic mods already done e.g. filters, exhaust etc? I would plan on having these mods done anyway I think. Cheers,

Hamish

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
all i can say is most viper owners that mod their cars tend to keep original parts to turn back into stock if the desire comes. however prestine condition means what to you. do you plan on driving the car often, everyday, oronce in awhile. expect to replace tires etc. make sure owner has records for the service on the car as well. you can runcarfax but many will tell you on here carfax sux. i know plently of people with severe damage done on there vehicles but if you looked at there carfax report it reads clean. wonderful huh. anyway i see its your first post so again look hard and dont settle on the first you see.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First order of business:

Get the book "Viper Buyers Guide"
Start looking, learn what to look for, look at several before you buy. ASK for other Viper owners assistance when looking at a car, or the one you have narrowed it down to.
Check on insurance with your company and see if they insure Vipers.
GOOD LUCK!

Buying a used Viper

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets replaced (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges - keep hood up?
20. Doors open / close well (no drooping = bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please post a picture of the front cover of this book and the ISBN number?

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently bought my first snake and I am completely happy with my purchase, the car was beyond my expectations. My recommendations is research as much as possible.

If you're buying the car to keep as a collector and or if you won't be driving it much then I'd recommend looking into something that has mostly OEM equipment. If you'll be driving it often or racing then you will eventually do mods, so buying a modified Viper shouldn't be an issue (in fact it can save you some serious cash from having to do it yourself later on).

Viper mileage is another issue to look at. When I first started looking I was hoping to keep mileage to a minimum. But this isn't the regular car buying routine with a Viper. A Viper with 6,000 miles could be much worse condition than something with 80,000 miles, it all depends on how it was treated during the mileage (tracked, dragged, un-maintained, etc are some things to consider). Also, you can be sure that low mileage Vipers may not have certain expensive recalls performed. With a well maintained high mileage Viper you can get away with a good deal because it's shown reliable road use and any quirks or unexpected problems (unrelating to usual wear and tear) probably have already happened and been taken care of. The point is, with a Viper, higher mileage shouldn't be automatically considered an undesirable when shopping.

As far as year, it's mostly preference. You've can read all about the differences on these forums between year models. Do you want side pipes (Gen I), do you want ABS (late GEN II, '99?), do you want a warranty (mostly GEN II), do you want the GEN II engine (this is something you might want to consider only if you're looking for stock Vipers, as once mods are thrown into the mix performance can be drastically different whether it be GEN I or GEN II), etc.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a beautiful '96 RT/10 white with blue stripes looking for a new owner. It is listed in the classifieds. Car is located in Houston. Send an email to [email protected] or call 281-726-1295 if you're interested.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Hamish

My advice to you is to put aside the books and go to a good Viper Tech in your area. Nothing beats experience and knowledge of these guys.
Read the books on your own time when your not presured with the buying of an expensive car.

Carleton

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered the Viper Buyers Guide book. And I'll start some serious research. The difficulty is actually seeing a Viper as there are so few in northern CA for sale. I went to look at one last weekend but it was sold and gone by the time I got to the dealers!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hamish, I might have a local reference for you, and I have a 96 you are welcome to look at, and I can fill you in on the differences, as 96 RT/10 is a transition year for the roadsters. Send me an e-mail on [email protected], or call me on 650-799-7421...We could connect in the East bay, something 1/2 way (I am on the Peninsula) cheers Tomer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4