3.55 Differential Install Exchange

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to hear from those who have changed the ring/pinion to 3.55 in the SRT-10 as well as those who have done this on an exchange basis. Would appreciate recommendations of those who sell based upon an exchange. Also, would like to know anyone in the Atlanta area that does the install or the swap. Thanks in advance.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would like to hear from those who have changed the ring/pinion to 3.55 in the SRT-10. Also, would like to know anyone in the Atlanta area that does the install or the swap. Thanks in advance.

1. 3.55's plain rock so really no need in sweating this one. More than likely you too will be very satisfied - many others have been. It darn sure does wake the Snake up!

2. PM me if you'd like the info on a certified mechanic in the Atlanta area that'll get the job done right for you.
3. As for a 'swap', I doubt that will happen as 3.07's are plentiful (see point one).

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your response is much appreciated. I did PM you.

There are a range of charges for the ring/pinion in 3.55 (although since this will be 95% street use, 3.73 is also tempting).

I am concerned with this particular mod since a malfunctioning differential could be quite a problem, and it could show up at the most inopportune time.

Thus, I need someone who has done SRT-10 differentials regularly and numerous.

It would be ideal to find someone in north Atlanta/Dunwoody general viccinity who has quick and skillful turnaround. It would also be good if his expertise and experience leads to a lower price because the task is almost second nature to him.

Thanks again,

Alice

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Tators do my 04 with 3.55's from UNITRAX! Love em! I'm now in the process of having them do my 05 yellow VCA Special Edition with 3.73's!! I'm anxious to see if there is a difference. Give Chuck Tator a call i'm sure he could recommend a Viper tech to you in your area!!914-763-3136 UNITRAX is www.gounitrax.com Devin king 1-800622-4327 Hope it helps----

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have wondered if 3.73 would not be a better gear for me with chiefly city driving. My only concern would be if this limits or complicates highway driving. It should not.

Keep me posted and thank you.

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you mind provinding an e-mail address so I can find out the cost of a 3.55 or 3.73 conversion.

Thank you,

Alice

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice
The gears should run around $600 and approx same for the labor. This has been the "average price" posted on the board by many. It's only a one day job, 6 hours or less actual labor.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input.

Do you have a position on whether 3.73 or 3.55 is the better choice?

Thanks again,

Alice

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, but a pic of your SRT on a roll-back? I assume it's being delivered, not taken away?

I'd like to hear some info about 3.73's. I need new rear tires and want to go with 35 series instead of the stock 30's. This will increase the circ. so maybe 3.73s would be a better choice.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense, but a pic of your SRT on a roll-back? I assume it's being delivered, not taken away?

I wondered about that too. Gotta have some long boards for the angle of departure on one of those ramps if you want to save your fascia! ;)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have missed the point; the photo is a sharing of the anxiety provoking experience of these poor-but-simple men (father and son) delivering the SRT-10.

I negotiated the purchase long distance. This was a VERY rural dealer. They transported with reluctance. They "went out and rented ourselves the best trailer y'all can get."

Took them 7 hours to get here (5 hour drive), got lost twice after getting off the highway.

If I could change my own avatar...you need to see the other photo...can send by e-mail.

The father and son team arrived, and they could not have been nicer, but...

They had no idea what they were transporting ("What is this thang?") and did not know how to get it off the trailer. Not a clue.

I took two Xanax and rested on the curb humming "Welcome to the Jungle"

They had brought (you need to see the photo), two mismatched boards.

They were taking back my Harley in trade (which they had never ridden either).

Despite what looks like a scene from Hee Haw, the Viper had not one blem of any kind anywhere. It was meticulous. It had been in storage since "no one down here can afford the dang thing."

The purpose of using this as my initial avatar (although the other photo is much funnier) was to share the experience with you.

At one point they were within paper thickness of the pavement.

They spoke very little, but they "yes'm'ed a lot.

Enjoy it.

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understood VOI. I did not understand who was selling the ring/pinion in the 200s. I see prices all over the place. I have an installer ready to go, but need to know from where to order best quality. He does not like the bolts on some of the sets he has received.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, we have made arrangements for the rear end and exhaust to be installed within the next 10 days. This is solely due to the input of people on this forum who provided parts and mechanic recommendations.

Thanks so much,

Alice

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Get the gears at Unitrax. Break them in slowly, I'd say give them 500 miles before you dump the clutch or mash the throttle.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I do still struggle with whether to get 3.73 or 3.55. The dealer who is doing the differential for me is installing 3.73's on two SRT-10s this weekend.

Assuming that these two 3.73 guys are not just stoplight Grand Prix racers, I am wondering why they selected 3.73 since they live here is town.

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to go with 3.73 gears. Shall let you know how it performs. The work will be undertaken in 10 days when parts arrive.

Alice

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to go with 3.73 gears
Alice

--------------------
2004 SRT-10 (red)
Corsa, 3.55, K&N

What gears did you go with?And could someone post the "other picture" ;)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie:

Had long conversations with the mechanic who has done many of these. He is doing predominately 3.73 at this time. That's the direction I am going to go.

The photo of Cletis and Jethro unloading the SRT-10 should be posted to my "photos" later today.

Alice

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT DOESN'T your bio say 3.55

2004 SRT-10 (red)
Corsa, 3.55, K&N
Jamie:

Had long conversations with the mechanic who has done many of these. He is doing predominately 3.73 at this time. That's the direction I am going to go.

Not to be dumb you say 3.73 and bio says 3.55

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be dumb you say 3.73 and bio says 3.55

I believe if you look at the "3.73" thread you will find that enough folks recommended 3.55 (as do I) that Alice has chosen the 3.55 instead...

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is correct. It was a difficult call because I knew I would like the responsiveness of the 3.73, but everyone made a convincing case for transferring too much power to the pavement. So, 3.55 it is, and ideally within the week.

I sincerely appreciate the input and (re)direction.

Alice

P.S. I think I need a second one of these things. Bookends.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie:

The photo of Cletis and Jethro unloading the SRT-10 should be posted to my "photos" later today.

Alice

Cletis and Jethro? ROFL, those names and your description of them somehow make me think of the Beverly Hilbillies TV series :D :D :D

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willem:

Glad you enjoyed. By the way, I have a friend (guitarist) in The Netherlands (Nijmegen) who teaches at a private school (high school). He is an amazing rock guitarist who sat in for Akkerman with Focus a few years ago.

Cletis and Jethro were a great father and son team. (see the photos in my gallery if you like); very nice people...had not a clue as to what a Viper is.

Alice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave