Just bought my first Viper!

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a Vette guy for the past 4 years, having a coupe and a Z-06. I've always thought Vipers were killer, but have never owned one. I sold the Z about 3 or 4 weeks ago and bought the Viper.

It's a 2002 ACR, finished in Viper Red without stripes and has black interior. It also has a Borla catback exhaust and a set of HRE 546 rims in stock sizes.

It's being trucked out to me (bought it out of state) and I can't wait. Should be here around the middle of this coming week.

I've surfed (lurked) this board for a couple years now and am looking forward to getting to know everyone now that I have a Viper.

Christian - :usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats, Christian...you're going to have a BALL in that Viper !!!

Join the VCA....and contact your local VCA and get in on the activities ASAP !!!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! And welcome! :2tu:

I wonder how many other Vette guys are lurking the board, just waiting and praying for the day they join our Club!! :p

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrads

my advice learn who is looking out for your best interest.

I'll save ya some time

Chuck Tator (Wizard)
Roe racing (Sean Roe)
partsrack (Jon B)

those are top shelf people who will bust their b@lls for you and your car.

Im sure there are others but those are the 3 people that have went wayyyyyy above and beyond for me time and time again.

Good luck I know your gonna love the viper.

P.S. welcome to the family.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well-wishes guys!!! I seriously can't wait for the new baby to arrive!

I'm located in Alamo, CA (about 30 mins outside San Francisco). I've got to do some updating to my user info on the site. I'll try to add to it tonight.

Chuck aka Viper Wizard: Thanks for all the time you spent with me on the phone a couple weeks ago. As a result of our conversation, I felt much more informed about buying the car.

Stugots: Thanks for the tips. I've seen some of the results on Sean Roe's supercharged cars. Very impressive indeed.

I'll be sure to take some photos when it gets here!

Thanks again guys! :2tu: :2tu:
Christian

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a former Vette guy as well. I have a '01 ACR, you'll love it! It's a completely different experience. I will always love and respect the Corvette. It has stood the test of time and is a great bang for the buck sports car.

The Viper....words are not enough. :2tu:

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BJH1: I hear you. I LOVED my Z-06. I had it pretty tricked out with longtube headers, full exhaust work, intake, all bolt-ons, 3-piece rims, etc. Here's a link to some photos I took:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32ac8046510

BUT...I drove my buddies 1997 GTS and couldn't believe the difference in the two. The Viper has power EVERYWHERE. The torque is incredible. It felt to me like you could get the Viper in 3rd gear and leave it there all day, city/highway, it just pulls and pulls.

I'm interested to see the difference is the handling between the two. I know the straight line performance should be a little bit more with the Viper and I'm anticipating that the ACR will prove to be more capable in the turns/corners/on a road course as the Z-06. Any thoughts on that one?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you already talked to Chuck , good move.

When I first got my viper Chuck told me anything and everything I wanted to know and as im sure you noticed is always willing to take time out for us.

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BJH1: I hear you. I LOVED my Z-06. I had it pretty tricked out with longtube headers, full exhaust work, intake, all bolt-ons, 3-piece rims, etc. Here's a link to some photos I took:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32ac8046510

BUT...I drove my buddies 1997 GTS and couldn't believe the difference in the two. The Viper has power EVERYWHERE. The torque is incredible. It felt to me like you could get the Viper in 3rd gear and leave it there all day, city/highway, it just pulls and pulls.

I'm interested to see the difference is the handling between the two. I know the straight line performance should be a little bit more with the Viper and I'm anticipating that the ACR will prove to be more capable in the turns/corners/on a road course as the Z-06. Any thoughts on that one?

Our Vettes were very similar. I had the same setup, including the wheels. Only difference was that mine was black. The cornering ability of the ACR is phenomenal! You'll just have to see. Maybe I'm biased now, but it feels like it corners better. However, it takes more skill to handle it in the corners, its not as forgiving as your Z06. Do it right and it pays big dividends.

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By "not as forgiving" do you mean that once the Viper's back end breaks loose, it will spin?

With the Z-06, you can get the back end hanging out coming out of corners and powering through is fairly easy. Will the Viper not perform like that? Have you taken both road racing? How do they compare on the track?

BJH1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is so much more torque on the Viper. My ACR dyno'd 469rwtq. It is very easy to break the wheels loose in corners.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it Viper week at the car yards or something?
Everyone seems to be posting
"Just got my first Viper"
Welcome.

p.s. Does anyone a have a macro for a welcome note... :rolleyes:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper Nation, Christian!

You'll love the handling of your new car -- just watch that rear end, it can come around on you faster than your Vette. Take your time and learn it's limits and you'll have a permanent smile on your face!

:2tu:

OP
OP
C

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce: Thanks man! In every road test/magazine article/etc. I've seen the Viper beats the Vette on the road courses. I guess it's just a matter of driving it more smoothly than the Vette? Are the limits of the Viper difficult to find without going beyond, i.e., once you get to the point where the rear tires are breaking loose you're certainly going to spin? I'm hoping that those huge 335 rear tires will stick better than the 295s the I was running on the Z-06. What do you think?

Gary: Thanks -- nice to be here.