Viper values

Gianni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new here but have read for a while.
I am going to purchase a GTS Viper because they are simply bad ass outta control awesome.
I will have to do some mods as I can not leave anything alone.
Going to keep my old mint 81 Vette that I built. Nice 450 horse low 12 1/4 mile on old school street tires. not too shabby....but NOT a Viper.

I really need a Viper and the wife loves em too. That always helps.

I searched but didn't find any answers.
I am wondering...
It seems all mint GTS coupes (especially Blue with white stripes) with under 15K miles are around 50K.

Whats a little confusing is that even the newer GTS coupes are around the 50K mark or just a little higher but not too much.

Can't find any NADA book values.

Whats the deal....all mint low mileage Vipers fall into the same price range?
Thanks for any help. Great site. Will be a Viper owner in the very near future.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
www.kbb.com has some book values on them, but it's just an average of what they sell for. Values can be different because of mileage, condition,etc. The Blue/White stripe cars get more because they were the first coupes, and they still have great appeal. The newer one's are creampuff's because of cast pistons instead of forged, and have a different cam. I prefer the newer ones because they have ABS brakes and are a little more civil. If I was modding a car I would buy a '96 to '98 model. Either way you won't regret doing what you're talking about doing. Happy hunting.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KBB really undervalues a car's worth whether you consider a private party sale or trade-in value. For example, my car is an 01 RT/10 with 10K miles. According to them, in a private party sale, the value is 47K. I wonder how many folks have bought one for that price?

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gianni,

E-mail Maurice Liang. He is the guru when it comes to Vipers. He was the founder of the VCA and also is the president of our Northern California chapter. He wrote a buyers guide for $29.95 that explains each and every model and year, and collectability, etc. E-mail him at [email protected]

He will gladly mail you a book, and you will see exactly what you need to look for.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vette $25K
porsche $30K
ferrari $40K
lambo $55K
................................ viper PRICELESS.

There are some things money can't buy for everything else get a VIPER.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way I found out about real world prices was by looking at autotrader.com. I found my GTS for under $40K (it wasn't low mile like you want, but I wasn't compaining). Book values are good for a start, but eventually it's supply vs. demand (and this car's demand means higher than book).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you buy an older GTS, paying a premium for very low miles, and then you actually drive it and put 20k miles on it,
it will then become an ordinary used GTS.

So,
If you plan to drive the car, don't pay a big premium price for very low miles.
A 20k miles car is just as good as a 2k miles car. They are both new.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KBB prices are accurate. Whoever thinks they are not, thinks their car is worth more than it is. Dealers and consumers use their pricing to determine value. They go by average sales of cars. But ultimatly a car is only worth what you can get somebody to give you for it.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KBB really undervalues a car's worth whether you consider a private party sale or trade-in value. For example, my car is an 01 RT/10 with 10K miles. According to them, in a private party sale, the value is 47K. I wonder how many folks have bought one for that price?

I saw an '01 RT/10 that Elite Motorsports in AZ had with less miles on it than your's in perfect condition and he was selling it for $47K. GTS prices are about $5K more.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KBB is like a political action committee for used car dealers. Take a look at what dealers are asking for similar vehicles, not what they are giving people on trade. KBB represents the screwing used car dealers are giving folks in a pinch that have in all likelihood been trying to live beyond their means & got caught with their shorts down at the wrong time.

I wouldn't take a penny less than $52k for my 96 GTS, never will. Mileage smileage.

Unless I lose my job and develop terminal cancer & my immediate family needs the money to eat. I'd do it then.

Until such time, my 96 is worth over $50k, and is one of the few examples of the B/W GTS that will contribute to a limited supply side for its market. I had a dream the other night I hit the Powerball; coupling that thought with this discussion, I could theoretically buy up every B/W GTS on the market at asking price. Then there would be none for sale.

What would they be worth then? Probably whatever I was asking, depending on how bad somebody wants one.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate to tell ya, but that's about right!

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to drive the car, don't pay a big premium price for very low miles.
A 20k miles car is just as good as a 2k miles car. They are both new.
yes why pay 50k for a car that you can only look at it sitting in the garage, buy it to use it and enjoy it ....does you no good sitting inside the garaged.

KBB prices are accurate. Whoever thinks they are not, thinks their car is worth more than it is. Dealers and consumers use their pricing to determine value. They go by average sales of cars. But ultimatly a car is only worth what you can get somebody to give you for it.

i deal with car sales every day thats my business, and this is so true, you can ask 50k for a car, but if nobody wants to give you 50k for it, guess what ? its only worth 50k to you, so the other 10 million people are wrong ??????
i see people trade in cars all the time, they get offended by the offer, 2 month down the road they come back to trade it in again , but guess what now more time pass its worth even less ..
and how the things are right now, everybody is looking for bang for the buck everybody wants a good deaL.
and with most people looking for cars having access to the internet.
if you are asking 50k and somebody 1000 miles away is asking only 40k guess what???????