A Color Poll...Not a Color Pole

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please select from the following colors as that which you feel is ideal for an SRT-10

a. Red
b. Black
c. Silver
d. Yellow
e. White
f. White Mamba
g. Black Mamba
h. VCA

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg:

Whoops. It did not come out in my Search.

However, I notice in that pole, people began discussing their pre-2003 cars and colors.

As for me:

It is a three way tie for Red, VCA and Black Mamba

Alice

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red is always the best color for a sports car (except for some reason the GTS which looked much better in blue) so I would have to say red. If you check out my avatar you may understand a slight bias.

Now for a pole I would say red and white in a helix. Other wise they stand for bad things like lateral water hazard, OB, hazard, etc.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron:

I currently have a red car. To me, it is striking. The all black interior is too stark. It needs a brushed aluminum dash, and it needs some interior trim highlights.

It is, however, a show stopper. I suspect my new Black Mamba will not be as readily noticed.

Alice

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that black photographs better. Chris (Y2K5SRT), previously Y2K3SRT, has posted many pictures of his previous SRT. And I would say that it takes the best digital pictures. For me I have had problems getting the vivid reds in digital pictures. Not impossible just difficult under some lighting conditions.

There are some gauge rings from MGW that brighten up the dash. Also some aftermarket inerts for the radio surround. So far that is all I have needed to add is accent type stuff. In comparison I replaced the dash and seats in mt RT/10 due to the dreary interior.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no SILVER color on the sticky-poll in the VCA section... I guess someone has it out for the silver fans... bummer. Silver on an SRT is quite stunning.

JD

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD

Silver is an interesting complication. It looks incredible with some graphics. Is arguably the best looking SRT-10 when the Autoform hardtop is installed. Silver is very easy to maintain. In its stock (as shipped) form, it is a bit too stark for me. Then again, I have seen them only in photos, never in person.

Alice

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the red,but then again every car i own is. :2tu: Also my 2yr old son likes my srt/10 RED (he thinks it's the big red car from the WIGGLES) :D

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA car seems such a departure for the SRT-10. Several have PM'd me and noted that they love (or hate) this or that part of the VCA. I gather that the VCA car was for some a thrill and for others a disappointment.

I would like to hear from those who had the option of the VCA car at the time of purchase but went with another color...and why.

Alice

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice, the MGW aluminum parts made a huge difference to the drab interior. The all-black-look made me feel like I was sitting in my cubicle at work. I also added the brushed silver air vents and speaker grills. Please ignore the snake head shift knob. I have grown sentimentally attached to it, even though some would describe it as tacky. Also, whilst cruising downtown Atlanta, consider the franklin baseball bat cleverly concealed on the passenger floor.

VCA yellow with the side vent fader decals gets my vote.

3104PICT0094-med.JPG

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David:

I was thinking more in terms of a brushed aluminum dash panel. This would appear to be an easily created aftermarket item and would have more of a racer look.

Regarding driving in downtown Atlanta with a Viper... you may be aware that the State of Georgia does permit one to carry a concealed weapon. That may imply that some carry a Glock 9 with Black Tallon ammo, but hey... who's to say?

I was not at all concerned about your snake shifter. I was, however, concerned about the spare change in your cup holder.

Best regards,

Alice

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought my 04 SRT10 (silver), I saw Silver, Black and Red next to eachother. I would never own another black car, for the SRT10 is my daily driver and I park outside all day Monday-Friday at my office. Everyone and their brother has red, and I tend to like metallic colors. The silver looks very rich and classy, and more exclusive. (only 516 were built in 04). And silver hides the dirt!

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron:

You bring up a very valid point. When I had my Mercedes SL, it was smoke silver. It did not show dirt, nor scratches and was a daily driver. It was metallic paint.

Unfortunately, depth of shine appears directly proportionate to the degree of reflection of colors. A red car absorbs all colors except red.

Black absorbs all colors.

My red car has an incredible depth of shine/reflectivity. Red is very common, but litterally, its glow lights up the interior of the garage from indirect light entering from a nearby window.

Black is a maintenance nightmare. A Viper is suboptimal for traffic. Beauty in a human being is hard to maintain. A good meal is hard to find. Helicopters eat their young.

Wait....oh well...

Anyway, the beauty in black is also its burden. It shows shine and virtually everything else.

Pink would be nice...but I am going with a Black Mamba... perhaps a Copperhead next...hard to say.

Best regards,

Alice

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red is very common, but litterally, its glow lights up the interior of the garage from indirect light entering from a nearby window.

I did not get red because my garage has no lights or windows, and the door will not open in the daytime. Therefor, my garage is always pitch black. So if I had bought a black SRT10, I would not be able to find my car in the garage. Furthermore, metallic silver paint will reflect the light off of my cold breath in my garage in the wintertime, so silver was the only color to get. Unfortunatelly, in LA there is no wintertime, so I cannot find my Viper in my garage. I am open for suggestions (as well as for business)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David:

That is precisely what I was talking about with regards to the dash. That looks so much better than the Tyco black plastic dash. Is that from Vipertrim.com?

Ivan:

There is no question that finding the car in a dark garage would be very problematic. Then again, a completely unlit garage has an even greater problem...the fact that mushrooms may readily grow there. Wait...you are in California....mushrooms may, therefore, be a good thing.

If you decide to ingest the mushrooms and then go for a ride, please have someone shoot video. Thank you in advance.

Alice

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice
My garage is well lighted. Mushrooms or no, you have confused me with someone else. I await breathlessly for your next topic starter....er..I am sure you won't disappoint.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White was the first colour that I liked on the SRT.
Red was okay, but after you've seen the concepts, the first street versions, and pretty much every picture in magazines of red Vipers it got boring.

Silver was never really my favourite (except for the '98, '99 blue striped GTS's)

Black didn't impress me at all. Was on a carshow some months ago, and they had a black SRT right next to us. There were people walking past it, looking at it, and coming to us to ask where to find the new Viper.

For some reason the white Mamba therefore was the first SRT colour that did it for me. Someone chopped the black VCA rims on it a few weeks ago. Looked even better.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan:

You are quite correct. My message was intended for Ron, but I had a momentary lapse of reason and addressed it to you. As long as your TV is not sending out international distress signals (my radio talks to me directly) then my lapse is likely not critical.

Dennis:

I believe that the black (and that is what I have ordered) is classy, beautiful, vulernable and often not seen. The red while quite common is quite in your face. You rarely see any Vipers in my section of Atlanta. For a decade they were prohibited as were the ruffians who drove them. I do strongly feel that C6 people are a kindler, gentler, group...much like vanilla non-fat, sugar free, yogurt.

Alice

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, yes, I didn't say black was ugly. It's just not the colour I, personally would like to have on a Viper.
I'd never paint an Aston Martin in lime-green either.

And well, I'm from germany, it's not like you see a Viper everyday here, usually. People tell you at the gas-station that it's the most beautiful Ferrari they've ever seen... Or ask you if it really has 12 Liters... :laugh:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis:

No, I did not feel you were saying that black was ugly, merely that you felt it was unimpressive, that red was too common and that no one makes a B cell battery.

Alice

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice..guess what! I bought a flashlight...now I DO have light in my garage!!! (wondering if I should paint my silver SRT10 red?) I need your input!
RonnieSRT10

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron:

Absolutely not. Since you now have a flashlight, you can readily look for this: http://woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=EBC8FC7B-ED5D-46A5-8DA4-3C6F6C31975E

You will find that this is a common occurrence with Silver cars in general and Silver Vipers in particular.

For those who do not care to check it out, let me tell you that it is simply a photo of what people believe to be the average silver SRT-10 driver.

Alice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave