First time Viper owner

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have finally achieved my dream of owning a viper. I recently purchased a 1994 RT-10 with 18K miles. I have visited this board as an observer for the past 5 years in hopes of someday owning one of these beauties. The time has finally come, however I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help.

1) How much oil consumption is normal?

2) I have the slight smell of rubber coming from the passenger side front wheel after my weekend drives. I know the tire isn't rubbing, but was wondering if the bearing needs to be greased? Anyone else run into this?

3) Any of you have trouble with flat spots on the Michelin's? I have one flat spot on the front driverside tire, but none on any of the others. The original owner claims all tires are original. When I say flat spot I mean its flat. I can't see how someone could have skidded out and caused this. Has anyone else encountered this??

4) Lastly, sometimes I hear a very slight pulsating whine when I make a sharp turn from a dead stop. It sounds to me like a ;) sound generated from a pulley. I'm not sure though. Any reoccurring pulley problems?

Thats all the questions I dare to ask at any one time. I feel like a proud parent who only wants the best for his baby.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your purchase !

Some quick replies on some of your questions :

1] I hardly have any on my 94.
3] If your tires are originals, dump them ASAP. Those things are dangerous (should be rock hard after all these years). Buy Michelin Pilot Sports or Kuhmos.
4] Check steering fluid. Even dropping slightly below the minimum line can cause grinding.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations,

1. Chuck says from a little to a quart per 1000 miles is OK
2. I would have it checked for sure.
3. Get rid of the original tires ASAP.
4. If you steer all the way to the lock, I would think that a little whine or pulsing would be normal

Now get out and put some miles on it :headbang:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome and get rid of the original tires.They will kill you. Enjoy your car.
Max

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!!
I have had my 94 since 99, got it with 17k miles...now it has over 40k miles.
Only problems:
1 set front pads/rotors
p/s hose

and done for preventative reasons before ext warr expired

fuel pump
p/s pump
head gaskets

It has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned...
Like Max said...lose those old hard tires and go out and drive the sheit out of it :)
BTW..94 Vipers are well known for being the fastest... :)
especially if its red....
Cheers,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper