Procharger Supercharged Viper?

OP
OP
E

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not nearly as nice looking as the roe unit

You're right, but if someone could utilize the Procharger and its intercoolers, I think it would make more power than a Paxton setup at the same psi. From what I have read, these blowers are more efficient than their competitors. Any tuners out there considered a Procharger for the Viper? BTW, these blowers are self contained, unlike the Paxtons where you have to tap into the engine's oil supply.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think Procharger is working on a Viper kit soon. As much as I hate to say it, I think Paxton has Procharger beat in the reliabilty arena. I don't know what Procharger's customer service is like but I am sure it beats Paxton. Now with the fast talking Kelly out of there, who knows how service with Paxton is now. I know I didn't get anywhere with Paxton with my experience, but I think that Micah guy at Paxton seems like to be a decent guy and not cocky like Kelly was.

OP
OP
E

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Procharger is working on a Viper kit soon. As much as I hate to say it, I think Paxton has Procharger beat in the reliabilty arena.

Is the reliability based objective data or just "word on the street"? They do offer a 3 year warranty on their blowers. Ab, what were the reasons for the failures?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is strictly coming from Mustang people using the f-1...they said something about gears and so on...not sure...I know a lot of them who had the F-1 sold theirs and ended up picking a Kenny Bell system over it.

I don't know anything about prochargers. I think Heffner is starting to use Novi 2000 now...but I am not going to speak for him...I reserve the right to be completely wrong on the above...I am just repeating what I heard from other users.

I be procharger doesn't make you jump through hoops to get warrarty work done though...unlike...umm..

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Procharger does get into the Viper Market I hope they invest in some R&D !! I was one of the first C5 owners to get a Procharger installed on my Vette and it was a PITA !

Myself and my tuner basically did all the R&D for them..There customer service SUCKED :mad:
The car made crazy power but I went through about 4 months of headaches..From shredded belts to a Seized Blower unit.

My advice would be to give them a minimum of a year on the market before you buy one.

Cheers

J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a procharger on a mustang once. It was the first release of the D1... loved it when it stopped leaking oil.

DLM has built a monster with a procharger before... but it made so much power that the tires spun on the dyno. that car had to be tuned down quite a bit to accomodate the power.

JD

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our own VCA members ran a Procharger on a 2001 RT10 at 32psi (making 1200+ rwhp) and admitted that there was such a thing as "too much HP".

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
oh..if you are talking about trainor...his car used to be silver and he painted it yellow...but he never stripped the silver off...he had it spray painted over...LOL!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but I don't think he could get it past about 500RWHP until he covered that silver with the yellow paint! :D

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a DLM car. I know it was treynor's. From what I understand the car was taking chunks out the tires on the dyno and pegged the 1,200 hp mark. Making 32lbs of boost is just clearly insane for the street :eek: ... plus you could only run race fuel and that would cost a lot of cha-chinga's :p

-Lou

OP
OP
E

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a procharger on a mustang once. It was the first release of the D1... loved it when it stopped leaking oil.

DLM has built a monster with a procharger before... but it made so much power that the tires spun on the dyno. that car had to be tuned down quite a bit to accomodate the power.

JD

Hmmm..... too much power? Is there such a thing? :2tu: I would love to see a Procharger car at the V10 nationals putting down 1200 rwhp. :eek:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1200RWHP Novi setup apparently made it's big power up top, and it lacked the drivability of the previous DLM setup, which was already traction impared with 800-1000RWHP. :eek:
The added power only made the car dangerous to drive, spinning the tires at any speed! :eek:
So he had the car quickly put back to the way that it was before (only having obscene, rather than insane power). :laugh:

OP
OP
E

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 1200RWHP Novi setup apparently made it's big power up top, and it lacked the drivability of the previous DLM setup, which was already traction impared with 800-1000RWHP. :eek:
The added power only made the car dangerous to drive, spinning the tires at any speed! :eek:
So he had the car quickly put back to the way that it was before (only having obscene, rather than insane power). :laugh:

Why not use one pulley and program for the street and a crazy setup for the track? That would be an ideal setup IMO. Do any of the tuners out there offer this option? Say... 800 or so RWHP for the street and 1200+ for the track. :2tu:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The irony is that the 1200 hp vipers (SC, TT, or otherwise) are currently unable to put the power to the ground. Look at some of the fastest blower-only DLM cars... 9.7x, 9.8x... all with less than 950hp at the tired. the 1200hp cars aren't quite there yet. But with a turbo, i'd speculate that they can use or make a variable boost controller to keep the boost lower in 1st and / or 2nd gear, but to allow it to go balls-to-the-wall in 3rd and 4th.

But a procharger SC is bad-***...

JD

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, I don't know about Viper stuff and Procharger...I just installed a p1-sc on a c-4 corvette with an intercooler and it sucked. The fit was horrible, most of the kit was unusable, and the performance was minimal at best. Maybe I am just used to Vipers, but 375 and 398 on a stock lt1, I was a bit disappointed. I had a customer with a '99 or a '00 Camaro with a procharger and I had several problems with the charger itself...bearing issues. We took it off and added a Vortech V-9 sq with an aftercooler and made just as much power without any problems. I have just had better luck with other products. I am not saying they are bad, because I have seen some very fast fox bodies out there like Mr. Dell has noted.
Later,
Joe

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it was Treynor's YELLOW beast and the car was NOT user friendly. Could break the tires loose at 150mph!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper