engine differences viper srt/10 ram srt/10

grandrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know if there are any engine differences between the viper srt/10 and the ram srt/10? is it the exact motor just put in the ram or were changes made?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the differences start from the transmission onwards but the engine is identical. Is redline the same?

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only differance is in the drive line, and that is the drive shaft and solid axle rear end. But do not let that fool you, for a truck at 4k lbs and 22 inch wheels, this bad boy will fly. I traded in a HEMI RAM truck for my RAM SRT/10 and it comes only second to my GTS. And now that I have over 500 miles on her I will run against any vette I come across, and if they beat my truck, there is always my GTS........

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only differance is in the drive line, and that is the drive shaft and solid axle rear end. But do not let that fool you, for a truck at 4k lbs and 22 inch wheels, this bad boy will fly. I traded in a HEMI RAM truck for my RAM SRT/10 and it comes only second to my GTS. And now that I have over 500 miles on her I will run against any vette I come across, and if they beat my truck, there is always my GTS........

Hey, if you don't mind, post some pics of your SRT Ram. The red/silver sounds really good for a truck :laugh:

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The older V10's in the Ram trucks were not Viper engines. They were iron V-10's if I remember correctly.

It's my understanding the new engines are they same as the ones installed in the SRT-10's and they are made on the same line as the Vipers at CAAP... unless they have changed since I visited CAAP last.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The older V10's in the Ram trucks were not Viper engines. They were iron V-10's if I remember correctly.

It's my understanding the new engines are they same as the ones installed in the SRT-10's and they are made on the same line as the Vipers at CAAP... unless they have changed since I visited CAAP last.

Ram V-10, Iron block, Aluminum heads, 4,500 rpm. 310 hp. 465 tq (?)
Ram SRT 10, Viper engine.

Red355iroc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing an old thread back to life in case anyone gets this info in a search as I did. Had the common #3 rod make a nice window in the block in an srt10 truck. Purchased a salvage engine out of a Viper. The engine itself is the same. The exhaust manifolds are different, the oil pan and pickup are different, the water outlet is different, the throttle body (linkage) is different, motor mounts are different, and the wiring harness is different. All of the accessory drive is the same with the exception of a milled 'flat' with a threaded hole in it, on the upper idler pulley boss for a wire retaining tab. Not a big deal there. Hope this helps someone in the future! -- Dusty

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks, man it's been awhile since the last time I heard someone with #3 distruction. A lot of that went away when people ditched the STS. Can I ask, do you know why?

Red355iroc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jeff! I may know why but I'm not certain. I did put a single nozzle nitrous kit on the truck a while back, jetted to 150hp. The kit has no window switch on it so I made sure the owner understood the dangers of spraying into the rev limiter. Apparently someone other than him was driving the truck and doing a burnout when it let go. I asked him if the bottle was on and he didn't know. So maybe it was on the rev limiter with the nitrous on or maybe it just let go. I'm not sure, but I suspect the latter. Truck had just under 80k miles. The viper motor I put in has 18k. There are some pics on my Facebook. Blazing high performance