" Snake Killer "

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\" Snake Killer \"

Tiny article in car & driver today about new Z06. Hope DC is listening.

OP
OP
K

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: \" Snake Killer \"

while watching football on sunday i saw commercials for pacificas, magnums, caravans and dakotas but no vipers. What gives? Even toyotas developing a 500hp coupe.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The new Z06 may be just the nudge I need for the 650hp head and cam mod I've been considering. I've been thinking I will leave the engine alone, but I just don't like the idea of my Viper being slower than any stock Corvette.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

The new Z06 may be just the nudge I need for the 650hp head and cam mod I've been considering. I've been thinking I will leave the engine alone, but I just don't like the idea of my Viper being slower than any stock Corvette. -Kai SRT10

Why not consider a Paxton and leave little doubt that the only Vette you'll likely see will be the one in your rear view mirror. Options...

OP
OP
K

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

I have scheduled my paxton install in late february just in case I am not floored by the new srt coupe. I know I would be extremely heartbroken if i had to mod my viper just to keep up with a vette.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Big deal you own a gen 1. You should be proud that you do own a viper and not spout off your month about a car that that hasn't been released. My last car a e39 m5 had some mild dinan mods and every c5 zo6 that tryed only saw the back side of that car.

Robert

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

And thankfully superchargers are only made for Vipers so there is no way the new Zo6 could get one also.

As a matter of fact with their compression ratio I honestly dont think they can well safely wnayway

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Sorry guys,

But just the thought of having to 'modify' a current Viper to keep up with a current stock Vette is sickening. :( Just listen to yourselves.... Especially one that cost less. If Chevy does ACTUALLY produce a car of this magnitude (500 HP at under 3000 lbs), Dodge better step up, or I'm stepp'in out... Remember, it's you that must DEMAND the baddest-asp stock street car under 100K. Nothing wrong with modifying a Viper, but I've come to expect supremacy off the showroom floor. And so should you....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

Just a couple points:

-the car is NOT out yet, nor are official specs released
-we dont know the price as of yet
-the Z06 is a cookie-cutter car. Regaurdless of its performance, it is not a Viper, cut and dried. There are cars that cost MANY times the Viepr that the Viper still outperforms. Does that make them bad cars? Nope.
-If those specs are true, I think GM will have a rude awakening with warranty issues. You will have to go back to the drawing board on it before you can do any type of FI, and its resources are tapped even in stock form. Upgrading the HP further will prove interesting, seeing as the general public likes bolt-ons so much.

LOL, GM, an "Accountant-like" company that couldnt even take care of its "piston slap" problem coming out with a car that has Ti Parts, a Dry sump, and 11:1 Comp w/cast pistons? 25,000 cars per year- 50,000 warranty claims in the first week. I can see it now.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Just a couple points:

-the car is NOT out yet, nor are official specs released
-we dont know the price as of yet
-the Z06 is a cookie-cutter car. Regaurdless of its performance, it is not a Viper, cut and dried. There are cars that cost MANY times the Viepr that the Viper still outperforms. Does that make them bad cars? Nope.
-If those specs are true, I think GM will have a rude awakening with warranty issues. You will have to go back to the drawing board on it before you can do any type of FI, and its resources are tapped even in stock form. Upgrading the HP further will prove interesting, seeing as the general public likes bolt-ons so much.

LOL, GM, an "Accountant-like" company that couldnt even take care of its "piston slap" problem coming out with a car that has Ti Parts, a Dry sump, and 11:1 Comp w/cast pistons? 25,000 cars per year- 50,000 warranty claims in the first week. I can see it now.

Agreed, but what's that saying? "Never underestimate your opponent".... And remember, Lutz is over there now. Not to mention they may have learned a thing or two about making the 7.0L engine work (C5-R). Only about a month to find out the truth.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I purchased brand new 05 red Snake TODAY. Why? It's the only sports roadster with the true looks of a sports roadster and the adequate power. For what I care GM could produce 1000HP Vette but if it is going to be that ugly like the C6 with the truck size steering wheel and floating track I am not going to buy it. Don't take me wrong on styling issue - C5 was ok at the time of its inception, today it's - well - 10yrs old design. With C6 they completely wasted their chance for what - C5 owners? And call it evolution? LOL)

I am HAPPY for what the Snake is even though should be there little brother with the same styling and some modern suped up V8 for 40-50k I would be buying that one. Just for the sake of reliability, service etc. I am not racer, I only enjoy spirited roadster driving and looking at the beast:)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re:

Madman has a great point.....not that I'm denying the fact that Dodge should up the ante ;)

Our SRT-10s will still be:

1) Much more unique in styling, and much rarer on a "seen on the road" standpoint

2) The fastest stock CONVERTIBLE under 150,000! (correct me if I'm wrong?)

3) Part of the greatest, most passionate owners group in the world!

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yeah but the original ideology for the Viper was more Power and it had to be LIGHTER than a vette. I am paraphrasing Carrol Shelby on the original Viper.

The SRT 10 has been heavier than the older C5 since day one. And now we sound like a mustang board - if I just supercharge it it will blow the doors off of it.

Or worse a Porsche board - I don't care if the other cheaper car is as fast, i like the looks of my car.

The original Viper was a knockout of GM and took the mantle of King of the Hill away from the Corvette - looks like the General is hitting back.
The C6 platform is only in it's second year and already they have a high Performance lightweight Coupe coming out.

The Viper was made as a direct competitor to Corvette. And DC needs to step it up on the Viper or we are going to lose an icon.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not Snake Killer...Snake Suicide

Hirohawa makes very valid points regarding our rationalizations about the competition.

By design, the Viper concept was no holds barred assault on the performance arena. That lead may soon become no more than a memory.

The car, in its stock, form must have competitive publishable numbers regardless of what can be done to it in the aftermarket.

A growing number of manufacturers are now targeting this niche market.

It is expensive for a company to re-tool to meet the competition, but it either does so or it gives up its crown.

You can love your kid, but you have to be objective enough to accept that another kid has a better fast pitch.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Not Snake Killer...Snake Suicide

i have a 03 z06 and a srt 10, and a 500hp+ z 06 will be something that will give the viper fits, but it will still be a dime-a-dozen-vette no matter what it has

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Not Snake Killer...Snake Suicide

At the price of 60K + the new Z06 may not be a dime a dozen. Alice brought up good points. Will I trade my 97 GTS in for the 500 Z06? Hell no. I love the looks of my GTS.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Just a couple points:

Dry sump in a Z06!!??

Lots of owners will be bummed out when they find out their dry sumps will disqualify them from most "Street Class" racing events.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

FWIW the following are the known stats on the ZO6.

Engine size is 7.0 liters
500hp
475 ft.-lbs. of torque
275/35 18's at the front
325/30 19's at the rear

The wheels use a split spoke design virtually identical to that of the upcoming Ferrari F430. I do not believe they are runflats.

The interior is marginally different from the exterior with the difference largely in differently trimmed seats which now have the Z06 name in the seat backrest. Hard to tell more from the pictures I saw.

The exterior features the usual mesh grill but now adds wider fender flares and the obligatory fender badge. There is a hood scoop remarkably similar to that on the current SRT-10.

I have pictures to back vrtually all of this up but, regrettably, do not think it wise to post them. GM just had all the pictures pulled from every site that did so. I am disinclined to even e-mail them to anyone but, if you hurry, you may be able to find them on a few site that have not pulled them down yet. It will be a frontal shot of a yellow Z06 next to the C6-R. There is also an inside shot of the passenger seat and a terrific close up of the right front wheel showcasing huge drilled brakes.

I know many here like to pick on GM and the Corvette but I would like to think that we can all agree that with this car GM should do AMERICA proud.

:usa:

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Well it is real. 500HP and at least 200lbs lighter.

Since 1996 the Viper has been at least 50-100HP ahead of the Corvette, time to step up DC.

Robert-

You won't be able to smoke this Z.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Hirohawa, If you can buy one let me know. i will bring my srt to Cali. This will be a drivers race bring it on. Don't forget the zo6 weight is 3130 and not 2900lbs according to autoweek.

P.s. I grew up in the valley and i come out at least twice a year to visit. :2tu:

Robert

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Robert

I would rather buy the Viper Coupe, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that Dodge will have something really exciting at the NAIAS.

Either way it would be fun to string these cars out. Have you ever taken the SRT 10 to a track/roadcourse? That must be a blast to open up on a straightaway.

Steve

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I personaly dont think Dodge ever even considered the vette to be competition for the viper. Totaly different market, with cars costing nearly twice as much.

GM wants to make the new z06 a competitor, by making it cost almost as much as a viper and have similar if not better performance.

Problem is that GM is going to make many current corvette owners very mad when they realize that the price of their bargain of the century is just shy of a viper.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yep....let's BASH our fellow brethren :rolleyes:

"If you own anything OTHER than the Generation Viper that I own you ****" :rolleyes:

ROTFLOL!!!!

Aren't we're all car guys first, that's why we drive what we drive (or at least dream about) :)

Gianni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I love American Muscle cars.
Absolutely Love the Viper (Don't see them all over the place)
and I am truly impressed with the new ZO6.
No one knows the price yet. Is is said to be an Aluminum frame, Magnesium engine cradle. 3 piston calipers. 7.0 Liter 500 Horse beast.
0 to 60 reported between 3.5 & 3.8 seconds with 1/4 mile in the 11's
weight said between 2900 and 3150 lbs with carbon fiber hood, deck, fenders...

Ideally I would love to have a Viper Coupe and a ZO6 in the garage.
I am on the list at Kerbeck for an 06 ZO6...but if it's not what it is "claimed to be" the deposit is refundable and the Viper is a no brainer.

Does anyone know when the new GTS Viper is coming out? If it's in the 600 horse range that's my new dream car...anyone guess on the price it may be???
And while I do not think one will "Kill" the other it will make for some sweet racing IF the ZO6 is what is promised.
Thanks.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I can't see myself getting the ZO6 with same HP as the Viper.

Sure, it may be a little lighter and perhaps therefore a touch quicker but that wouldn't be enough for me. It won't brake as well as the SRT so I'm not sure it would be faster on a road course anyway.

Now, if they make the Blue Devil and use that 427 supercherged small block they have over at GM (which they had put in an experimental C5 vette at SVT), that might be another story...especially if it puts out the 700 HP that it does in that experimental car.

Gianni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Well, That remains to be seen.
The car isn't even out yet....Next month will put up or shut up.
Everyone had their ******* in a twist that the 427 would never be back...Guess what. It's here.
Either car, 2006 ZO6 or Viper is a nice toy to have in the garage.
The horse power wars is good for all of us

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh