The SRT Market

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I placed my car for sale through this site, Autotrader and ebay expecting to get $65-66k for an 03 with 3,700 miles. I am planning a work related move that will have me overseas for what may be a year. I was sure that the car would go.

I took about 30 calls and a dozen or so e-mails from folks who sounded serious. Everyone seems to think that the car can be had for $60k. The pricing out there boggles my mind. Are low mileage SRT's really going that low?

Besides the point, I went down to the garage and asked myself if I would buy it for $60k and the answer was an obvious and resounding YES! So, I just bought it from myself and it will sit in the garage and wait for my return. I smile as I type...

Finally, what should I do to prepare the car for an extended period of inoperability? Fluids, fuel, battery? Thanks, Jody

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Ravenfan 94, I agree with your decision. If I did not buy the SRT in St. Louis, you were second in line, and I would have paid about 65- 66k for it. Don't let anyone low-ball you. How long will you be gone? I am predicting that when you come back, the price for an 03 srt would still be in the 60k range, but with higher mileage.

I was in the same situation with my nsx. A couple years back I offered a mint condition 94 nsx with 30k miles for $40k and eveyone who looked at it, wanted to get it for $35k. One guy loved it so much, and had looked at more than 100 nsx and said the only thing he did not like about it was the fact that he would be the third owner on record. (what a freak!!!) I finally sold it this summer to my brother, who loves the car for $35k (4 years later). Good luck, Ravenfan 94.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's W I N T E R.... Prices are always soft then.... Always good to buy sports cars in February and ski's in July.....

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New SRT-10's up here in Ontario, Canada are going for $99K CDN (about $80K US) when their MSRP is $124K CDN. Time of year and supply exceeds demand. A buyer's market, and not a seller's.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article on winter storage in the latest edition of VCA notes.

Again, let me know if you need it to be driven during your abscense. I will take real good care of it. :D

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
There was an article on winter storage in the latest edition of VCA notes.

Again, let me know if you need it to be driven during your abscense. I will take real good care of it. :D

Surely you wouldn't allow this to happen since John is only used to driving a yellow Viper! Send it over to me, at least i have driven on the wheels/tires and know how to handle the red beast ;) Maybe it will even gain a set of carbon fiber stripes by the time you get back :cool:

Houston Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RavenFan, I have a similar silver 03 with 2,500 miles that I have just started trying to sell. After a couple of days in AutoTrader, I have received no interest in my $64.5 asking price. So I agree with you, the market is soft, but I think that plenty of buyers exist at $60. Good Luck on your overseas travel.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron's post didn't mention fogging the engine. With boats, we fog the engines with fogging oil every year prior to winter layup. Fogging oil is thick and sticky and is intended to coat the inside of the cylinders to prevent them from rusting. Starting an engine with rusty cylinder walls is not that great for the oil rings.

You can get fogging oil at Boater's World, etc. It comes in a spray can like carb cleaner. Just pull your spark plugs and spray it in each cylinder. Upon re-starting it when you get back it will smoke for a couple minutes while the fogging oil burns off but that's normal.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron's post didn't mention fogging the engine. With boats, we fog the engines with fogging oil every year prior to winter layup. Fogging oil is thick and sticky and is intended to coat the inside of the cylinders to prevent them from rusting. Starting an engine with rusty cylinder walls is not that great for the oil rings.

You can get fogging oil at Boater's World, etc. It comes in a spray can like carb cleaner. Just pull your spark plugs and spray it in each cylinder. Upon re-starting it when you get back it will smoke for a couple minutes while the fogging oil burns off but that's normal.

Forgot to mention - after you run your engine and burn off the fogging oil, you'll need to examine your plugs and replace them if fouled.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info and links.

John and Mike: I trust you two guys about as far as I can throw you! See you when I get back... Drive safe.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info and links.

John and Mike: I trust you two guys about as far as I can throw you! See you when I get back... Drive safe.

That hurts Jody. That really hurts..... :(