Previous Z06 owner considering purchase of viper,need info

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, Id appreciate any info you guys can give me that would help in my search for a 96 to 02 GTS.

I had a 2002 eblue Z06 that I enjoyed very much but sold several months back. I was intending to purchase the new 06 Z06 but I have changed my mind and want something with a lil more prestige. I have my 04 Cobra that is under construction right now. It will be sporting a twin turbo setup and will be my dragstrip car. I would like to get a viper for pleasure driving. Any info you guys and girls could share would be great. Here are a few questions off the top of my head.

1. what are all the viper sites available.
2. Is there any certain yr models to stay away from, or are better for some reason or another.(between 96 to 02)
3. What are common problems to look for when checking out one.

Thanks!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 and 99 are the best years. 96 and 97 don't have the alarm override which can be very useful. 99 and down have the "lumpy cam" and forged pistons...and make slightly more rwhp.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice of cars! As far as the different years, there are three major things that will be a factor in choosing the year:

1. Color - Different years have different colors, unless you are looking for red. Want the "royal blue" with white stripes? '96 or '97 are it. Want yellow? '01 or '02. How about dark "sapphire" blue? 2001 only. Decide the color you want and that will narrow it down - unless you want red (available '97-'02).

2. ABS brakes - While not a factor for everybody, some people insist on it. If it is important to you, then you want an '01 or an '02. ABS was not available on the Viper prior to 2001.

3. Like forced induction? Then consider a '96-'99 car. While I haven't heard of any disaster stories per se, I will tell you that the Viper discontinued the use of forged pistons starting in 2000. They went with a hypereutectic cast piston from 2000 on up. This does not lend itself well to higher pressures from either blowers or nitrous applications. The forged cars also have a "lumpier" cam which makes for a better idle (IMHO) and occasionally "NGR" (neutral gear rattle).

Aside from those major factors, there are smaller "upgrades" that took place in the different years, including moving from a 17" to an 18" wheel (1999), inside rear hatch release (1999), passenger airbag switch (1998), etc. You can see the changes by clicking here.

As far as Viper sites, there are really two that I think are pretty active on a daily basis. This one is probably best for actual information on the Viper and Viper discussions in general. Viper alley dot com (all one word in your browser) offers a more active "social" site with less emphasis on "Viper" and more emphasis on just having a good time. It can get pretty wild over there for the uninitiated, so be warned.

As far as common problems, I can't think of anything specific that applies to all years. Early 2000 Vipers had potential cylinder sleeve problems, most of which have probably been fixed by now. 2001 saw a problem with the impeller shaft of the water pump - again, most are largely fixed by now.

I always recommend that you do one of two things, if not both: When you find the car you are interested in buying, have it looked over by an experienced Viper owner/VCA member that knows some of the things to look for (hood alignment, etc.). Second is to have it checked out by a reputable Viper tech at the servicing 5-star dealer. While Carfax is a good service, it doesn't always uncover past problems with your potentical car. Your local Dodge dealer can run the VIN to check for past issues fixed under warranty, if not other issues as well. They can also check to be sure any and all recall work has been performed. Even if you see one on eBay, the chances are good that somebody on these boards can check it out for you regardless of where it is.

Finally, if you want to read an article about buying a Viper, check this one out. It should give you a good start. Good luck in your quest, and keep us posted!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. This site is by far the best and you can get all the info you need here.
2. Any year of Vipers are great cars
3. Get the book: a Vipers Buyers Guide by Maurice Q. Liang. Will answer a lot of your questions.

I think the www.autotrader.com and this site are the best places to look for vipers. Autotrader is were I found mine.

Once you find a Viper that you think is right for you do a inspection at a Dodge dealership with a Viper tech.

OP
OP

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys have given me a wealth of info. I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to joining you guys soon.

I have a funny story to tell that really made me make up my mind on a viper. There was a guy that wanted to buy my Z when I had it for sale. He had a 2000 red gts and wanted to get back into the vette scene.
We took turns driving each others car. As I was pulling back into the parking lot where we had parked My Z I was opening the door of the viper and was stepping out when i heard a scream. Two seperate vehicles pulled in behind us and girls started pooring out of the cars going nuts over the viper. The owner said,"this happens all the time". He gets out and starts talking to them. I honestly thought there was an emergency at first when i heard them yelling,lol.

The bad thing was that I had a new 2002 Z06 parked right next to it. Well it might as well been a pinto because it was not even noticed.Kind of crazy the way these things attract attention.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys have given me a wealth of info. I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to joining you guys soon.

I have a funny story to tell that really made me make up my mind on a viper. There was a guy that wanted to buy my Z when I had it for sale. He had a 2000 red gts and wanted to get back into the vette scene. We took turns driving each others car. As I was pulling back into the parking lot where we had parked My Z I was opening the door of the viper and was stepping out when i heard a scream. Two seperate vehicles pulled in behind us and girls started pooring out of the cars going nuts over the viper. The owner said,"this happens all the time". He gets out and starts talking to them. I honestly thought there was an emergency at first when i heard them yelling,lol. The bad thing was that I had a new 2002 Z06 parked right next to it. Well it might as well been a pinto because it was not even noticed.Kind of crazy the way these things attract attention.

Wait until your cruising at 60mph and your suddenly engulfed in flashes from a camera from a car passing or cruising along side with everyone hanging out the windows. :eek: :usa:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wait until your cruising at 60mph and your suddenly engulfed in flashes from a camera from a car passing or cruising along side with everyone hanging out the windows.

No Gerald..it just people taking pictures of a freak show driving down the road. Hell if I saw a gorilla like you driving a viper...I would take pictures also! :p pluurrpp! :p

Jerry Colpitts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out baystatemotorsports.com great place and very nice people. I got my car there i told them what i was looking for and after a few months they called me and said they had just gotten a 98 with 998 miles on it. Then it was mine. :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a funny story to tell that really made me make up my mind on a viper. There was a guy that wanted to buy my Z when I had it for sale. He had a 2000 red gts and wanted to get back into the vette scene.
We took turns driving each others car. As I was pulling back into the parking lot where we had parked My Z I was opening the door of the viper and was stepping out when i heard a scream. Two seperate vehicles pulled in behind us and girls started pooring out of the cars going nuts over the viper. The owner said,"this happens all the time". He gets out and starts talking to them. I honestly thought there was an emergency at first when i heard them yelling,lol.

The bad thing was that I had a new 2002 Z06 parked right next to it. Well it might as well been a pinto because it was not even noticed.Kind of crazy the way these things attract attention.

ROFL, I wish that were me encountering those girls :p :D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was pulling back into the parking lot where we had parked My Z I was opening the door of the viper and was stepping out when i heard a scream. Two seperate vehicles pulled in behind us and girls started pooring out of the cars going nuts over the viper. The owner said,"this happens all the time". He gets out and starts talking to them. I honestly thought there was an emergency at first when i heard them yelling,lol.

Yesterday morning I took my 1998 Red GTS out for an early morning (pre-snow :( ) ride, and I stopped at a Best Buy to return something. As always I park way off by myself in the corner. As I come out of the store I see see a bunch of people standing around my car. I hurry over and hoping nothing is wrong and what is it? There are two guys with video cameras just walking around the car filming it. They were foreign speaking, I think Korean perhaps. It was a family of people, all chattering away in Korean. As I walked up they just gave me a thumbs up and said "six speed?". I said yes. Another thumbs up and off they went into the store.

Stuff like that happens all the time in a Viper, kinda fun.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled up to a cop at a red light & he & his partner looked at me with a grin & asked "Does it run"? I said Yeah. Then he told me to get it on from the light. I left the light like I was racing, barked second & shut it down. They came by me with thumbs up!
You never know whats going to happen on a morning joyride!

Andy

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eventually, all Vette owners will get rid of their mass produced, dime-a-dozen cars and buy a real car. Seems to happen everyday doesn't it guys? Welcome aboard mystic, your life will never be the same once you buy a Viper. :D

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY A VIPER!!!! I, too, am a Z06 owner. Let me tell you from first-hand experience that your hair will NOT grow back after you purchase a Viper. I was told by the used car salesman that within one week of purchasing the Viper I'd have a full head of hair again and I'd be getting laid every night. He either lied to me or that feature of the car is broken. I still sport a combover. :D

Two very different cars. Both are badass, despite what these clowns driving clown shoes tell ya. Enzo is a unique car. Vipers, although not very common are hardly in an "elite" class (please, back it down, this isn't a shot at Vipers; just reality). Look at the classifieds and you'll see used GTS in the 30s. I think quite a few people can afford a $35,000 car these days. I love racing my Z06 but it will never get the kind of attention that my RT/10 receives. Very different driving experience. The Z is a helluva lot more forgiving than the Viper. I spun the Viper out twice already. That low-end torque is NOT your friend and it'll bite you in the *** real quick. Nevertheless, I enjoy every second behind the wheel of the snake.

Good luck with your decision. I'd look at '97 - '99 GTS if you have any thought of modifying the car in the future and drag racing it. 2001 and up GTS or RT/10 if you don't. I bought the RT/10 because I loooooove the way it looks with the top off. I've followed my wife driving the car on the highway and it looks totally mean. Very low and very wide. Gives me wood just thinking about it :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 and 99 are the best years. 96 and 97 don't have the alarm override which can be very useful. 99 and down have the "lumpy cam" and forged pistons...and make slightly more rwhp.

Agree about the best years but I'm not sure about the "slightly more rwhp."

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pre abs cars are prone to flat spotting front tires under heavy braking.They also seem to have more front bias and less rear braking decreasing all around brake performance.Of course with either system you can upgrade to a big brake stop tech system. GTS Bruce

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gone through more front tires that rears! This over brake biasing can be fixed however, and will be done to my car next month.

$$$ still plays an important role in which year a person buys. Equal miles, the '96 is still cheaper than the '02. I think color influences people a lot. I'd like to have an '02 race yellow RT/10 to match my '95.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper