My Corsa Track / Stock back to back experience. CORSA owners feedback pls!

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to share my experience from having Corsa Track and request (honest) feedback from other Corsa owners.

My car is MY 05. First few hundreds mile I experienced heat buildup but since ~600miles the heat is gone. I assume that exhaust burnt out.

Now last week I decided to put a Corsa track on it to improve the 'music' and they said it brings some more ponnies.

Edit: I also installed K&N Air filters

I couldn't bear the noise and I already wrote about it. Interesting enough the same folks advising that the noise is not that bad before my purchase came up with 'we told you so' BS after I cried out loud here on the forum. No offense folks really none meant:).

So now please be honest and tell me your experience with following:

AFTER INSTALLING CORSA TRACK I EXPERIENCED IMMEDIATELY LOSS OF POWER AND GROUND TORQUE.

The car had no torque 0-1500RPM and was 'lazy' all the way up to 3k After that I was unable to judge:). The car almost stalled several time going from stop before I learned to floor it like with my old 4banger little S2000. I did not dynoed it unfortunately.

After I switched back to stock on Sunday I experienced that the car was much more lively, it got ground torque back and it was much more joy to drive it then with Corsa on it.

When I spoke to guy at Corsa he mummed that they did not test Corsa track with 05 models and that maybe DC reprogrammed the engine or so.

Since I have no heat and you folks were complaining about it so much isn't it possible that DC would change cats with 05 model so that they create less back pressure and flow higher? That would fall in line with my assumption (which may be wrong, I am no engine expert) that the ground torque requires a backpressure and since I put high flow exhaust on it with already decreased backpressure through (allegedly) new cats it would loose the backpressure to the point where engine would not have what it needs at low RPM. While with 03/04 it would use the backpressure of the (original) cats.

Please only COrsa owners and folks with the engine knowledge answer. Thanks.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Track system. However, I also have headers and high-flow cats.

For my (2004) car, the heat build up in the footwells and driver compartment was very very hot. It did not go away after 600 miles, or even 6000 miles.

After my changes, the heat is gone. Even the side sills (which used to get hot enough to burn you) stay pretty cool. Even after a 40 minute track session, I can still touch them with my bare hand and not get burned.

I picked up additional horsepower and torque with my mods, but it may have been from the headers, not the exhaust. My system is about as free flowing as you can get and still remain street legal. I gained more torque than horsepower, with my torque over 500 lb-feet to the rear wheels.

I found the Corsas in combination with the headers to be way too loud. The addition of the Vortex cones quieted things down significantly.

For any exhaust mod, you need to give the engine computer time to "learn" before you can expect to see performance gains.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My Corsa Track / Stock back to back experience. CORSA owners feedback p

And how about the ground torque? What's your experience? Mine was so strong (to the negative side) that I had to start this thread.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

My car is an 04. Yours may be slightly different, but I suspect, not much.

After the installation of the Corsa Tracks, I had increased hp and torque, as advertised. The car ran very well. I found the sound a bit loud, but tolerable and would recommend them. If you had a loss of torque, something else is wrong. Back pressure does not have the type of effect on torque that you describe.

I later added headers and h/f cats. I then found the Corsa Tracks way too loud, but they were not designed for this application, I later found out from Corsa. But again, without the headers, the Corsa Tracks worked very well, reduced back pressure and heat in the sills. I should have done more homework before buying them, as I planned on future mods.

Good luck,

Dan

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I had the track systme on my 03'. I can not say that I felt and increase in HP, I do not think that it is possible to feel a 15 HP differnce, however but the heat was gone. I personally love the sound. I just completed installing the Track in my '04 and got the exact same results. An adtional note, I completely insulated both the passenger and driver compartments with Dynamat. There was a nice reduction in noise after the insulation.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I consulted this issue with local viper tuner - apparently backpressure has something to do with the low end torque. And because I lost that by adding hi flow cats I guess that the assumption was right.

As far as the foot well heat - apparently 05 SRTs have better insulation of the first cat and perhaps headers and that's why I don't have heat issue with my car.

I would say however that torque loss issue should be experienced with 03/04 cars as well.

sal3coach

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the Corsa crossover system and love it -- sounds a lot better than the stock system but I can still talk on the phone and don't have to wear earplugs. After break-in I have had no real heat problems. (Have had it out in rush hour at 100F+). Performance is either slightly better than stock or about the same. Hard to tell with just back pockets for instrumentation.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Corsa thoughts........ I was sold the hot kit so to speak RT high Flow Cats and Corsa track for my 04. After I installed it all and fired it off I couldn't hear myself talk or listen to the radio. I tried to get use to it but the tremendous power loss (torque) was more than I could bear. It is all about back pressure for low end torque and that system had none. The advertised hp gains is a marketing hype. I had to dump the RT cats which were lacking quakity welds anyway. If you look at the welds verses the stock welds you will see why they break. More of a tack weld than a bead weld. I put back on the Corsa tracks without the RT cats much better sound, cooler, I an not sure but I still think I feel a torque loss as with my 3:73 gears the tires don't break as they used to. I kinda like that as I throttle up at liftoff I seem to get a better run off the line. So to end my yacking I like my Corsa Track

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06' SRT-10 and would like to add Corsa Track cat back 2.5" system with the heat insulate blankets. I am not going to change the OEM cats and I am going to put Green Air Filters on also. That's it.
Do you think I will experience a loss of HP and/or Torque? If so, then I'll just install the air filters and leave well enough alone.

Reaction score
The condition you are describing is "soley" caused by the high flow cats and not the Corsa exhaust. We have sold arguably more Corsa exhaust over the years than anyone and have tested back to back. There is a silght movement upwards of the power band as there is with any header/exhaust upgrade worth doing but the lack of low end torque is more often caused by the cats. I have since stopped removing perfectly good cats for the 3-4 hp improvement on "top" for the improved torque and reliability the stock cats and 02 placement give you. But this is just my 2 cents ;-)

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the sound and performance improvement by just adding Corsa side exhaust and eliminating the crossover pipe? I was also going to add the better insulation. Wanted to sound a little better without being obnoxious. Any feedback?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The condition you are describing is "soley" caused by the high flow cats and not the Corsa exhaust. We have sold arguably more Corsa exhaust over the years than anyone and have tested back to back. There is a silght movement upwards of the power band as there is with any header/exhaust upgrade worth doing but the lack of low end torque is more often caused by the cats. I have since stopped removing perfectly good cats for the 3-4 hp improvement on "top" for the improved torque and reliability the stock cats and 02 placement give you. But this is just my 2 cents ;-)

Listen to Mark, he probably has installed and tested more of these than anybody else, he installed the Corsa track on my 04, and I have to say there were no ill affects:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the sound and performance improvement by just adding Corsa side exhaust and eliminating the crossover pipe? I was also going to add the better insulation. Wanted to sound a little better without being obnoxious. Any feedback?

We LOVE the sound of the Corsa Track Exhaust w/flow-thru cats as well. NOT obnoxious, nor overbearing, but sounds like the BEAST it should be!!! ~juli~
(we also have B&B stepped headers w/ceramic coating; VECII; alternate between 'green' filters and K&N--see no noticeable differences between either)

Reaction score
We in my opinion I LOVE the sound of a catless Corsa system about the same as high flows. BUT it does sound like a beast ALL the time which for most people IS obnoxious for day to day cruising. But whatever trips your trigger I guess ;-)

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06' SRT-10 and would like to add Corsa Track cat back 2.5" system with the heat insulate blankets. I am not going to change the OEM cats and I am going to put Green Air Filters on also. That's it.
Do you think I will experience a loss of HP and/or Torque? If so, then I'll just install the air filters and leave well enough alone.
you are about to do what i did to my 2006.
you will love the gain, and it will give you the feel again like it did when you first got it!

i did the k&n although.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Guys I will chime in on this. I have the Corsa Track (2.5) on an 05 SRT-10. I Left all the stock cats in. I went with this system over the 3" because I was worried about the sound being to loud (I want louder now though). Anyway when "AB" got done putting it in I fell in love with the sound. I noticed no loss of power but a bit more perkyness in the 3800-5000 range. I have since then been considering High Flow cats Etc. until I read this thread. Reduarding "Heat", the side sills are cooler but the foot caompartment on a 85'+ day can get hot but I just put the A/C on if it bothers me. I have driven over 2 1/2 hours non stop in the car while heading to the track (a little brutal heheeh) and the foot well gets toasty but not bad. The two mods that I feel gave me real power is the Vec III system and the corsa. I have the K and N FIPKIT also but couldn't tell a change (this was more a feel good item). My dyno numbers are 473RWHP and 505RWTQ & the midrange power over stock from the Vec III is impressive. Hope this helps or if anything you can put a 2.5 in and have the sound without power loss. I'll keep you posted on number when & if I change out the headers.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon, you have about the same dyno results as we do, and we HAVE the B&B stepped headers, we were told by Chuck Tator and Sean Roe that the headers would NOT make a noticeable gain in hp for the GenIII Vipers, and they were right. Of course, the benefit of having headers to pull the exhaust does make for a cooler left foot~! Same w/flow-thru cats. We love the sound, it is not overbearing at all, and we've taken long drives just fine. ~juli~

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck is right about headers. Too much money and not enough gain.

We at AtRo Racing Products started out in the Viper business by making CUSTOM EXHAUSTS SYSTEMS that are DESIGNED FOR YOUR APPLICATION. By "designed for your application"

I am specking in terms of how you intend to use your viper, what modification you have done to it or intend to do to it in the future, and how loud you want it to be. One part number by a manufacture can not fit all intended uses for a given year viper!

We will sit down with you and design an exhaust system that suits your needs and budget, one that will sound great and also cut down on the heat in the cabin.

To see what we have to offer please take the time to read the information on our web site and give us a call.

You do not have to settle for a generic system that was designed for a just one application and you do not have to play into the "Monkey see, Monkey do" mentality that a lot of people seem to fall into. It is human nature to not want to admit that a product they bought is not up to their likes and or standards as they feel it makes them look bad.

Robbie

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Corsa. Built well, sounds great and reduced the heat considerably. As many have said, most went with corsa for a reason.

If you do go corsa, just keep a close eye on the tips and where they are located. Mine burned the flat black paint even after serveral adjustments.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Corsa. Built well, sounds great and reduced the heat considerably. As many have said, most went with corsa for a reason.
If you do go corsa, just keep a close eye on the tips and where they are located. Mine burned the flat black paint even after serveral adjustments.

EXACTLY Nader---the tips have GOT TO BE TACKED as you found, they move/expand/contract, so have to be tacked securely so they do NOT come into contact with the paint surrounding the tip/exhaust holes. VERY important!!!!! Yep, went with the Corsa exhaust due to sound AND increase in HP. :cool: ~juli~
**thanx Nader for making sure that got pointed out about the tips!!! :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli. Here is my solution to the problem.

Sidesill21.jpg

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't understand this myth of headers not making any power....I'd be interested in seeing a before and after dyno graph of a car that had headers put on that didn't make any power.

I can show you mine.
headersvsnoheaders1.jpg

The only HP mods at the time were Kooks headers, cats removed and 3" Corsa Track.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ: Your dyno results are impressive! Adding headers added roughly 7hp to our dyno results, which was stated we'd get by respected Chuck Tator (Viper Wizard/Tech) and also Sean Roe...that we'd roughly get between 5-10hp gains. So, I don't know if it's different dynos, but yeah, others have stated they also got gains in hp adding headers (no matter which type), and others also stated they did NOT gain much hp....so I honestly don't know the reason here...I called and researched this before we bought the headers, so we'd get the optimum gains/plus cooler temps...honestly, I cannot tell you WHY we didn't gain, I just know I was told we would not, and it was true. I'm glad you did however!!! puzzling....juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader--That looks interesting, but how is that solving the tip problem? Do you not have them tacked inside? I see that the tips are just barely touching some parts of the exhaust output holes...I don't know how to post pics, but our tips are not touching anywhere near the holes, nor do they move, they are tacked up inside. Also, what do you think about headers? I see you don't have them...is there a reason you did NOT get them yourself?
See the dyno results from ILLSMOQ....and the replies from him and myself....what's your take on this? thanx! ~juli~

Reaction score
The gains for the cost just are not there compaired to the Gen2 Vipers 40 plus Hp. This is why we have not been selling very many on the Gen3 cars. Sure there are some small gains to be had but with the price of a S/C and the "real" gains why would you throw this $$$ at the headers? I love the sound of a good header as much as the next guy but the $$$/ Hp just don't add up. Now if you bought the headers *** installed them yourself that changes the over all cost benifit ratio!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mjorgensen: We had a friend install them, so the cost was minimal. So, you agree also that the GenIII's don't gain HP with headers too...well, we knew that buying them, but we wanted the sound, plus the cooler temps, pulling the exhaust out thru the Corsa 3" Track exhaust and flow-thru cats. We've had it tuned with the VECII as best it can get....and as I said, only gained about 7hp from the headers...and as you're aware, Roe's s/c is not available yet (for our own reasons, we don't wish to go with Paxton)...so we have to wait on that, which we're fine with...the car sounds awesome as it is right now, and we don't track the car, so no immediate need for more hp. Interesting, and thank you for chiming in here!! ~juli

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Header are no impact to warranty, so that might be a good reason if you want some gains and to keep your warranty intact.

I have the 2.5 Corsa track with only green filters, on my 2005. I have no power loss issues, and as a matter of fact I only saw increased performance (SOTP).

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the secondary cats (flow thru), and also have people we 'know' to inspect the car. We haven't thrown any codes. (as long as you have 2 out of the 4 cats)
CarDude: Yes, increased performance, but what about dyno-proven HP results with headers? Agreed--the headers were worth the cost, but certainly didn't gain much HP, as we were warned we would not. ~juli~