ME 4-12 cancelled

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this is old news:

Thursday, January 6, 2005

DaimlerChrysler puts brakes on concept car

Chrysler sports vehicle costs too much to mass produce while the firm is rebuilding, official says.

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

After a year of study, DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group decided this week not to build the Chrysler ME Four-Twelve sports car, a concept vehicle billed as the fastest street car in the world.

The Auburn Hills automaker unveiled the sleek super car in Detroit at the North American International Auto Show last year as a "production prototype" and said it would build the 850-horsepower rocket in low numbers if it made financial sense.

Chrysler killed the project after an internal study completed Monday showed that building and marketing the car would cost "hundreds of millions of dollars" at a time when the company is still rebuilding, said spokesman Jason Vines.

Named for its mid-engine design, four turbo chargers and 12-cylinder engine, its top speed is 248 mph.

"We're proud of the excitement it generated around the world," Vines said. "But we could not make a legitimate business case for it."

Chrysler may also have less need for the hot sports car than it did a year ago. Last year at this time Chrysler was just completing a three-year restructuring, profits were down and new models such as the Chrysler 300 sedan had not yet hit the market. The ME Four-Twelve seemed the perfect distraction from the company's woes.

Today, however, Chrysler is entering this month's Detroit auto show from a position of strength, ending 2004 with a 3.7 percent increase in sales and a 13 percent U.S. market share, up from 12.8 percent the year before, according to Autodata Corp.

Yet many consumers still give Chrysler poor marks for the quality, reliability and durability of its cars and trucks. Investing money in those areas is smarter than building a super car, even if the model could add prestige to the Chrysler name, said David Hofer, chief executive of Above All, a marketing and brand communications firm in Birmingham.

"Branding is only as good as the promise you live up to," he said.

The ME Four-Twelve was a pet project of former Chrysler Chief Operating Officer Wolfgang Bernhard, who takes charge of Germany's Volkswagen brand next month. At the Detroit auto show last year, Bernhard said that in an auto market crowded with a dizzying variety of choices, vehicles like the ME Four-Twelve are needed to get customers' attention. Chrysler will unveil another high-end sports car concept at the Detroit auto show this month. The Chrysler Firepower is a rear-wheel-drive coupe based on the Dodge Viper with a 425-horsepower engine and an estimated top speed of 185 mph.
Credit - http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin...6/C06-51812.htm

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My god, DC is such a stupid company it is unbelieveable. "Branding is only as good as the promise you live up to" Hmm, admission that they are indeed a bunch of idiots? Thats how I take it. I mean, it only worked for Dodge with the Viper, and it was the whole Company that indeed had to reform... but to me that remark just said "we dont want to change." Screw them...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not good but it was only a matter of time. I think it was too much of a project for them. I would have LOVED to see this produced though, especially since it was going to have Paddle Shifters. Would be interesting to see in an American car.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is not good but it was only a matter of time. I think it was too much of a project for them. I would have LOVED to see this produced though, especially since it was going to have Paddle Shifters. Would be interesting to see in an American car.

Interesting no doubt...but at a projected price of nearly a half-million a copy it surely would have been priced out of a market that would support its profitable production. Say, maybe if DC could sell 30,000 units a year they could price the monster in Viper territory. Wouldn't that be a trick...heck I'd give up exclusivity to park one of those in the stable for under $100K but then again who couldn't resist that prop. ;)

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tucked at the bottom of the article is the more feasable reason they pulled the plug on this awesome car. "The ME Four-Twelve was a pet project of former Chrysler Chief Operating Officer Wolfgang Bernhard, who takes charge of Germany's Volkswagen brand next month." Is DCX going to build a FORMER Chrysler COO's pet project car? I don't think so. Too many egos involved.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad.
Awesome car!
850 hp
0-60 2.9
416ME4-12_front-med.JPG

416ME4-12rear-med.JPG

Where do I sign up for a photography class :rolleyes:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article in the Detroit News today says that there are no plans to produce the Firepower concept car on the market. It seems that DC's American performance efforts are going to be limited to racing Neons and NASCAR. This is all really discouraging!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually find this news encouraging. :laugh:

The ME412 was of course a cool supercar concept, but with it being built there was less room for the Viper to be DC's halo car.

The ME412 was really a Mercedes supercar anyway, just badged as a Chrysler just like the Crossfire.

And the moment that I read that DC had released the ME412 I knew that the Viper would be in trouble. I had wondered why DC didn't just bolt a pair of twin turbos to the Viper to have it run against Europe's better supercars.

Maybe now with the ME412 shelved, DC will focus back on the Viper and come out with an ACR version of the new Coupe with carbon fiber body panels, an adjustable suspension, better high G oiling, and 625HP+ like the SEMA show Viper.

If they do this for the 2007 Viper then it will potentially be available to buy only 6 months after the C6 Z06 Corvette is in showrooms, and I could forgive DC for this power upgrade delay for the Viper.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Snakester. Now that the ME412 is history, hopefully DC can focus on the Viper again.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If everyone feels that the 2007 Viper Coupe is going to get a power upgrade, then who is going to buy the 2006's? Does DC think the VCA are that much sheep? If they don't sell the 2006's, there won't be a 2007.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. The ME 4-12 was an amazing car.

Still I never understood why Chrysler used an super expensive GERMAN V12 that was totally redesigned when they could have saved millions in design and production costs by twin turbo'ing and redesigning the V10 they already have - PLUS it is made in the USA.

Getting a reliable 1000hp out of the V10 is cake for serious engine engineers.

The ultra expensive Ricardo 7 speed is no longer state of art either - money would have been better spent with Zero-shift - the emerging technology that would be cheaper (ground floor).

Using the chassis dynamics and body work they've developed and reverting to the American V10 base, and talking with Phil at Zeroshift in the UK could have made this car a lot more economic.... while exceeding the performance of the mega-buck drivetrain in the prototype.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If everyone feels that the 2007 Viper Coupe is going to get a power upgrade, then who is going to buy the 2006's? Does DC think the VCA are that much sheep? If they don't sell the 2006's, there won't be a 2007.

They will sell 2006s to many people who wanted the SRT-10 Viper, but in Coupe form. :cool:

The GTS sold fine with the ACRs available. Granted there was little power difference between the models, but even if the ACR had an additional 100HP and cost $20K more I think that the buyers would be split.Fpr many people 500HP is more than enough.

If I wanted a SRT-Coupe today I would not think twice to buy one right away and bolt on a $7500 supercharger. :eek:
With well over 650HP, the performance would not be an issue. :2tu:

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake up boys & girls. It's almost all over for the Viper. There will be no big money spent on the Viper. The latest Viper coupe is just a low cost conversion to an existing platform. This allows DC to keep producing something sporty until a new, probably lower priced sporty car is made ready for the market.
The ME will be parked in a dark warehouse somewhere next to the V-10 motorcycle, the original Gen III Viper Coupe Concept and the 2003 SEMA Viper.
RIP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456