Dropped this into my doors...

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D

8579focal-med.jpg

Btw, this is a stock 'component system'. See that little bug on tweeter cable? THAT's the stock 'crossover' :eek:

8579oemspkr-med.jpg

... and this is the same function how it should be ;)

8579focalcross-med.jpg

Note: this was NOT 'drop'n replace' operation

Note 2: It's TOTALLY worth it :D

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you see the yellow from far? what model speakers are those? how much labour required? looks good...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are Focal 165K2P - from speedandsound.com for ~$540 shipping.

The clarity is just amazing. No distortion whatsoever, rich, amazingly rich sound. I felt complete nirvana when I finished the install at 4AM drunk but happy and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Unless you hear you never find out.

The install is no drop'n replace. The tools required are:
- jigsaw
- dremmel with cutting tool
- wood or DTD

you must take down the dor inserts. This is an easy job - remove the stock speakers and remove all screws you can see. One is behind the cover behind the door opener. When removing the door insert fasteners push the inner thing inside and remove the rest easily. Then disconnect electrical and pull up the door insert. It wont go easy - help it by the side window area.

you must do your own spacers (stuff between doors and the door inserts) from wood. Attach these spacers to doors using factory provided screws (3x).

Screw Focals midrange to the spacers. I could use cables left from Kenwood install with appropriate sized terminals. So I cut off stock and spliced these cables. You may need to choose a different approach baced on what you have.

using dremmel tool you must cut appropriate space for tweeters under the dash mesh. Focal tweeters are way bigger then stock. I just laid the focal tweeters horizontally, when I will have time I will position them.

Search this forum for 'Sound system diagram' and learn the cables coming from the apmplifier. Note - my 05 car has different wire color combination. The order is the same.

Since the stock tweeters are receiving full range being filtered by that little bug the stock is of no use - you must hook the crosovers to main speakers output.

I just cut the cables and extended them when I needed. The crossovers are under the pass seat, you can see their connection from the picture provided.

I started at 8PM and finished at 4AM with all learning and decision process. Based on this you should do better even though not by much - there is some work involved.

As far as mesh I do not have the final solution yet - I just pressed focals mesh on the SRT doors inserts and they hang - I will have to find out how to fix them 100%. Now they stick and do not fall off even when I occasionally touch them by my shoes.

Good luck!

And that's all folks. If there will be (strong) interest I might take another set of pictures to further document the whole process.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thanks for the info....what type of amp are you using to power those? (just the factory deck amp?) did you add anything for some deep bass? maybe soon? looks good

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually I am using bone stock amp and I am happy with it. this maxxed out won't distort the sound a bit and yet the sound volume becomes almost unbearable -> I think I will live with that stock amp for a while. The bass is very good using stock sub. In fact with the focals the sound stage is much more balanced - before it had too much bass from sub. Now everything work perfect.

One setback (my specific install) - after adding Focals i hear power interference from my DVD changer/Ipod inputs. Oh well, I tried.. I will have to run the cables powering DVD changer separately. Now they run along the sound cables unshielded.... my bad, tried to save some work... CD input from CD run in RB1 is crystal clear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets