RSI V-10 Challenge - OFFICIAL EVENT INFORMATION

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My name is Peter Blach and I’m the Event Organizer of TX2K, TX2K1, TX2K2, TX2K3, TX2K4, and TX2K5 – Supra Nationals. I am also an avid car enthusiast who truly enjoys the diversity that exists in the sports car world. I’m very intrigued by the opportunity to bring together two great cars like the Viper and the Supra to compete in some heads up competition (specifically in road racing and drag racing where the two have been so competitive over the past 4 years). I’ve taken on the responsibility to organize the RSI V-10 Challenge. I have put together what I believe will be an exciting and thrilling 3-days of motor sports that will be available to each of you. A committee has been formed to assist me with this event (Lord knows I’m busy putting together the Supra portion of the event as well as dealing with my day job!). This committee consists of:

Peter Blach
Bob Helms
Albert Chlouber
Rohn Kittel
Jason Calzada

And we welcome participation and input from anyone else that may be interested in assisting.

First, let me start off by saying that this is the inaugural RSI V-10 Challenge and as this annual event grows, so will the payouts, participation and overall satisfaction to those that compete. Let me get one major point out of the way… The name of the event includes RSI for one simple reason, they are the tuner shop that has pledged and put down thousands of dollars to help make The Challenge happen. The naming of the event is similar to the Supra event, which is officially named TX2K5 – Supra Nationals by MVP. MVP was my first major sponsor back in the year 2000 and MVP has stuck with me and will be the major sponsor of the TX2K5 event for the 6th consecutive year. We would like to encourage additional sponsorship support in an effort to expand payouts, prizes, etc… so I urge you to contact me if you are interested in being an official sponsor of The Challenge ([email protected]). This event is n+ot intended in any way to take away from or interfere with the tremendous efforts of David Boggs (Dr. Roof) and the V-10 Nationals circuit. David has done a great job and we will continue to support this exciting series of events. The RSI V-10 Challenge is strictly an annual event of fun and camaraderie, racing, and a chance to take on the Supras in a more organized manner.

Having said that, let’s discuss details. Financially, this event will be run just like TX2K5 – Supra Nationals with the intent being to make it a break-even event. If at any time there is any positive cash flow, it will all be payed out during the event.

March 10, 2005 (Thursday) – Road Racing

We are going to be racing at the famed Texas World Speedway. We will be racing on the 2.9 mile road course configuration

(http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/driving/tws/tws_map.html)

Directions to the track can be found at

(http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/driving/tws/getting_to_tws.html)

Gates will open at 7:30 am
Drivers meeting at 8:30 am
First group on the track at 9am
There will be 3 Groups: Beginner 1, Beginner 2 and Advanced

Beginner: Less than 3 events at TWS, will stay in classroom after drivers meeting for instruction on how to drive the track, then will be teamed up with an instructor and driven around the track to show the line. Will always have an instructor in the car. Will be evaluated through out the day for possible graduation to the Advanced group. Passing on front and back straight only!

Advanced: 10 or more track events, proven experience on the track. No instructor required. Passing Open.

9:00-9:30 am -Advanced
9:30-10:00 am –Beginner 1
10:00-10:30 am –Beginner 2
10:30-11:00 am -Advanced
11:30-12:00 pm –Beginner 1
12:00-12:30 pm –Beginner 2
12:30-1:30 pm -Lunch
1:30-2:00 pm -Advanced
2:00-2:30 pm –Beginner 1
2:30-3:00 pm –Beginner 2
3:00-3:30 pm -Advanced
3:30-4:00 pm –Beginner 1
4:00-4:30 pm –Beginner 2
4:30-5:00 pm -Advanced/Beginner

As you can see, each class will get 2 hours of track time. On a 2.9 mile road course, that is a lot of track time. The cost for this event is VERY competitively priced at $200 per car for the Supras’ and this includes the cost of having an instructor in the car for the Beginner classes.

RSI has agreed to pick up the cost for the first 20 Vipers who register for the event. In other words, all you have to do is register for the road racing and show up! Please contact RSI at 281-752-9600 to register. You will need to leave a credit card number to secure your spot and indicate which class you will be racing in. If you have to cancel, you must cancel 1 full week prior to the event (cancellation date of March 3, 2005 – by 5 pm central time) as a courtesy to allow others the opportunity to have a free spot. Your credit card will only be charged in the event that you do not cancel 1 week prior to the event OR if you don’t show up. If you register and show up, your credit card will NOT be charged.

Helmets are required (we will have a LIMITED number of helmets to lend to people without one) and we are limiting the total number of cars to 50 (20 of which will be Vipers). We pre-paid and reserved 20 spots, if we sell more, then great, but in the end we hope to have AT LEAST 20 Vipers on the road course. Last year at the Supra meet, there were 4 Vipers participating. In the end, we really hope to see upwards of 20 Vipers road racing.

Please refer to http://tx2k5.aapmotorsports.com (the official TX2K5 – Supra Nationals website) for directions to TWS.

March 11, 2005 (Friday) – Dyno Day

This has been a Supra event in prior years with a few spots open for Vipers and an occasional Corvette. For those interested in attending the Supra dyno day, please refer to http://tx2k5.aapmotorsports.com (the official TX2K5 – Supra Nationals website) for directions.

For those Vipers in town for the event that may need a dyno for tuning purposes, RSI will make their dyno available on a first come first serve basis. Please contact RSI at 281-752-9600 for reservation.

March 12, 2005 (Saturday) – Drag Racing

The drag race event will be held at San Antonio Raceway (formerly River City Raceway). Please refer to www.sanantonioraceway.com for information about the track. This year, the event will have 12 hours at SAR, which is PLENTY for all the Vipers and Supras to run.

9:00 am – gates open
10:00 am – track goes hot – fun/practice runs
11:00 am – qualifying pass 1 for ALL classes
12:30 pm – qualifying pass 2 for ALL classes

2:00 pm – Eliminations round 1 for ALL classes
3:30 pm – Eliminations round 2 for ALL classes
5:00 pm – Eliminations round 3 for ALL classes
6:30 pm – Eliminations FINAL ROUND for ALL classes

We understand that there will be dead time in between qualifying passes as well as between rounds. We also understand that if you are eliminated in round 1, you are no longer in contention to run during the rest of the day in the elimination rounds. Therefore, during the dead time between qualifying and in between elimination rounds, the lanes will be open to EVERYONE to make side by side runs for fun and testing. This will maximize track time for ALL participants. Now let’s go over the classes for the V-10 Challenge.

Viper Class 1 (VC1) – only mods can be air intake, header and exhaust. Tire must be a street tire, no drag radials allowed.

Viper Class 2 (VC2) – any bolt on mods allowed with the exception of NOS, S/C (supercharger) and TT (twin turbo). Any tire allowed including ET streets, ET drags, and drag radials.

Viper Class 3 (VC3) – one power adder class. One power adder is defined as stock cubic inch plus S/C, stock cubic inch plus TT, stock cubic inch plus NOS, OR stroker motor only. Any tire is allowed including ET streets, ET drags, and drag radials. In addition, car must retain a conventional 6-speed transmission.

UNLIMITED
This will be a sixteen car field consisting of the 8 fastest qualifying Vipers and 8 fastest qualifying Supras.

The only rules for this class are as follows:

1. No air shifted transmissions (i.e. lenko).
2. No tubing of the rear end allowed, tire must fit under basically stock Viper or Supra body work with factory style independent rear suspension.
3. No alcohol allowed, must run gasoline.

Acceptable set-ups include big cubic inch, S/C, TT, all with NOS if that works for you. Automatic transmissions such as the 727’s, powerglides, TH-400’s, or other basic derivatives are fine.

We understand that while we can’t make everyone happy with the class designations, these 4 classes are a good starting point and will allow for a smooth transition from a Supra only event to a joint Supra/Viper event. The TX2K5 event will also have 3 classes (named SC1, SC2, SC3) and UNLIMITED.

The fee to participate in the drag racing portion of the event is the same as for the Supras. $55 to enter the gate (payable upon arriving at SAR). $15 goes straight to SAR and $40 goes into the *** for payouts. If you are a spectator, crew member, etc… the fee is $15 and it goes directly to SAR.

RSI has once again stepped up and agreed to pick up the $40 cost per Viper for the first 20 Vipers to show up at the drag strip. In other words, the first 20 Vipers at the gates at SAR will only have to pay the $15 fee to SAR to enter the premises. Car entry to the event will be pre-paid by RSI.

ALL classes will have some sort of payout, the payout will be presented to the winners at the end of the event by myself (to the Viper classes) and by Peter Blach (to the Supra classes) immediately at the end of the event at the head of the drag strip. The road racing event is strictly a break-even event and will generate no revenue. The same goes for the Supra dyno day. The revenue generating event will be the drag racing, therefore we hope all of you attend this event. Remember, the more people that attend this event the bigger the payout will be.

Approximate Payout Schedule:

VC1:
1st Place - $400
2nd Place - $200
3rd Place - $100

VC2:
1st Place - $400
2nd Place - $200
3rd Place - $100

VC3:
1st Place - $400
2nd Place - $200
3rd Place - $100

UNLIMITED: Viper vs. Supra
1st Place - $1,000
2nd Place - $500
3rd Place - $300
4th Place - $200

The Supra classes (SC1, SC2, and SC3) will have identical payouts which means that the event will payout approximately $6,200, minimum.

Please refer to http://tx2k5.aapmotorsports.com (the official TX2K5 – Supra Nationals website) for directions to SAR.

Hotel Accommodations

We will be using the same hotel accommodations that Peter Blach has used for the past 6 years with the TX2K5 event. These two hotels are next to one another separated by only a parking lot. In addition, we plan to have security on the premises from 9 pm to 9 am to monitor all the cars that will fill these parking lots.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
HOUSTON-WESTCHASE BLTWY 8
2930 W SAM HOUSTON PKWY SOUTH
HOUSTON, TX 77042
Tel: 1-713-785-3899
Fax: 1-713-7854722
Email: [email protected]
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Rate: $69 per night

Best Western Westchase Mini-Suites
2950 W SAM HOUSTON PKWY SOUTH
Houston, TX 77042
Tel: 1-713-782-1515
Fax: 1-713-782-9996
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Rate: $69 per night

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through all of this. I hope to meet all of you at the inaugural event and look forward to the record setting times that will come at SAR. If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Peter Blach

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure wish we could have another day on the road course, but I see it's an SCCA weekend.

Still tempting, especially with RSI picking up the tab. Will there be any timing equipment at the road course?

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
opnwide - thanks for the support, this event has the makings of being THE ANNUAL VIPER gathering! I look forward to meeting you!

Chuck - we aren't sure yet, to be honest, it really depends on interest. If we fill all 20 Viper spots as well as the 30 Supra/Other spots, i'd consider getting timing equipment for the advanced class (prolly not a good idea to have it for the beginner class).

Let me know your thoughts...
Peter

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This sounds like a good event, Texas is just too damn far right now.
Bump this back to the top, support this you Texas guys.

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPR - you'd be surprised how many Supra folk we have coming from OH. I think last year we had representation from 29 states! :eek: Come on down, it's not that far!!! :)

Joseph - I look forward to meeting you, see you soon!

Peter

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, the Road Race spots are going like crazy, sign up NOW to road race at TWS for FREE! Also, with a V-10 Nationals schedule still not public, it seems like this is the only sure thing on the calendar right now.
Thanks
Peter

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm down for the road race (thanks RSI). If I can find some Texas hotties to hang with Friday I'll stick around for the drags on Saturday.

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, you shouldn't have a hard time finding that here! We hand out a "special" packet to all that come to the meet that has listed the most popular attractions around Houston! :laugh:
Peter

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ward, the poll on SF is still going and will be until Tuesday of this week. As soon as it's over i'll let you know. You should just bring your car either way!!! :laugh:
Peter

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nero and I were discussing it at the US Street Nationals today..... we both agreed to have Supras run each other and Vipers do the same and then each run each for all the marbles.....

Then the Supras can still have their own event and we join in for the fun.....HOPEFULLY it will happen......

it will be more fun to run than watch!

Cudaman :usa:

P.S. It also seems to me if Viper are racing in the other events, where is the "Challange" if they don't except the "Challenge from the Vipers......They only want a 50% challenge? Maybe they should put an * next to the challenge portion?

OP
OP
H

houstonT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ward, here is my post on the Supraforums about the classes:

OK, poll closed...

OFFICIAL VOTE

YES - 64

NO - 69

The Supras and Vipers will be separate as originally planned. They will come together to run the UNLIMITED class.

We can run the winner of the Supra 6-speed challenge against the winner of class 3 (from the Vipers) at the end of the day...

Thanks for voting.
Peter