To follow up: what is the LEAST favorite mod you have done to your car?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New windshield. I smashed the original by accident when I was torquing down a head stud during the last head job I did... damn wrench came off and my entire body weight was on it at the time. right into the windshield... *SMASH* . I hated that mod.

JD

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
filters lol

least HP gain and you cant even see them.

even the smoothies look good with not much in the gain department but no one sees the filters.

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Filters. I have gone back to using stock paper filters. The others flow better but they let more dirt pass. My oil anaylisis showed this. I don't think the extra hp on the street is worth it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I don't think the extra hp on the street is worth it."

Pleased to meet you cgmaster. Your logical reasoning in this case is refreshing.

Too bad, the others will stone you to death.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Braided brake lines. Wasn't worth the $$ going out of the way to do it; only if your old lines were really old or the sheath was drying out, or you thought the "protection" on the track was important. Same with the swap to the Gen 2 brake booster. Too small a step to notice the performance.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much I like my 3.55 rear gear in my gen 1. I thought it might make the 94 I have feel more like the 01. The 01 still feels much better when you smash the pedal down.

However,

The Roe side exhaust on the gen 1 is MUCH MORE fun than the very quiet, stock, 01 rt.

Jeff

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The custom Gucci seats and door panels........
I sure wish I had not done that :p

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't found one yet. The viper is an awesome car, anything I do to my viper is worth it. :2tu:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WITHOUT A DOUBT my side exhaust conversion on my Gen II GTS. I hated my car after that mod. With the exhaust being literally 2 1/2 feet from ear 100% of the time, it was horrible. Unlike my previous GenI, the GenII was just unbearable.

Reaction score
WITHOUT A DOUBT my side exhaust conversion on my Gen II GTS. I hated my car after that mod. With the exhaust being literally 2 1/2 feet from ear 100% of the time, it was horrible. Unlike my previous GenI, the GenII was just unbearable.
What do you think made it different from the GEN 1? There is a goofball here in Va Beach who wants to do the conversion on his 97 GTS....I'll make sure he sees your posts about this. :)

Reaction score
New windshield. I smashed the original by accident when I was torquing down a head stud during the last head job I did... damn wrench came off and my entire body weight was on it at the time. right into the windshield... *SMASH* . I hated that mod.

JD
Note to self: Keep all torque wrenches and windsheilds away from Joe. Individually, they are likely OK....but put the three together and we have trouble! :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but an early career project at the big oil company I started work at required an engine change in a package delivery truck. We had the hood off and needed to put it back on. To move the hood hinge down in place, a guy used a crescent wrench on the spring-loaded arm. He thought it went over center and he could let go. Well, it let go, and drove the wrench halfway through the flat glass windshield. It was soooo funny, (also because it wasn't me!) since it was literally half in and half out, and this was the prized show vehicle. Joe, I share your pain!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree on filters (use for dyno days only) and add aluminum flywheel. Removed and sold.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laugh it up, y'all. I will tell also tell you that although this was 6 months ago, I had almost zero trouble getting a windshield. I was counting on the "out of stock for 2 weeks" type of response, but it was a MOPAR piece of glass from Safelite Auto Glass for like $320 installed.

Sorry for the hijack. That windshield was truly my least favorite mod. ;)

JD

Reaction score
Braided brake lines. Wasn't worth the $$ going out of the way to do it; only if your old lines were really old or the sheath was drying out, or you thought the "protection" on the track was important. Same with the swap to the Gen 2 brake booster. Too small a step to notice the performance.

Tom,
As much as I like all of your inputs, and mods(I want the rear calipers), I have to respectfully disagree with you about the Gen 2 booster. My '94 brake pedal was super hard(no movement). Now it feels like my '99 ACR. More pleasure to drive. But, probably no improvement in braking performance(except better brake modulation). It was also easy to change.

Chuck G

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, your caliper comment reminded me that I did the booster change after I had 40mm rear calipers on the car. The slightly larger piston volume (slight relative to the sum of all pistons) already had provided a much easier pedal to manage, and maybe that was why I didn't see a big difference. Good point.

PS Expecting a batch of calipers done by the end of the month.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JD

I worry about that every time I torque a set of heads. Sorry it happened to you.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aluminum fly wheel.

Had it replaced with a stock fly wheel this week. Not enjoyable for street driving, Jumps a lot at 2000 rpms.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm suprised to see so many people disliking the alum. flywheel. About 3-4 years ago, everyone was raving about it. I guess 1st impressions after installed to everyday driving are TWO totally different things...... ;)

Gerald

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm suprised to see so many people disliking the alum. flywheel. About 3-4 years ago, everyone was raving about it. I guess 1st impressions after installed to everyday driving are TWO totally different things...... ;)

Gerald

Gerald, Does your hood come in second behind the side exhaust?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!!!!, yes, close second. Looks good, but the detail just ***** major ass. Giving a factory hood away for it PLUS 1,500.. damnit..

You had to remind me huh?