my car wont start

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the battery dead? it just clicks when i push the starter, i dont drive the thing that much,, maybe thats the problem

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be a good idea to use a trickle charger if you are not driving very often.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the battery dead? it just clicks when i push the starter, i dont drive the thing that much,, maybe thats the problem

Since you don't drive much,put into sleep mode.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a common issue with Vipers that are not driven regularly.
The security and other systems slowly draw down the battery. Easiest solution is a under $40.00 battery tender. You can hook up the wiring easily, and leave the connector accessable through the side gills. Then simply unplug it when you need to go for a slither.
As a safety item, you can put a stickey note on your dash to remind yourself to unplug the tender before driving off.
It is a smart little gadget that will not overcharge your battery, even if left on continously while parked.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a common issue with Vipers that are not driven regularly.
The security and other systems slowly draw down the battery. Easiest solution is a under $40.00 battery tender. You can hook up the wiring easily, and leave the connector accessable through the side gills. Then simply unplug it when you need to go for a slither.
As a safety item, you can put a stickey note on your dash to remind yourself to unplug the tender before driving off.
It is a smart little gadget that will not overcharge your battery, even if left on continously while parked.

It really is worth the $40.00! Not only does it keep you batteries charged up but it make them last a lot longer I use it on my boat,waverunner and viper it has saved me money on batteries that is a fact!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a small red/black (maybe other colors too) about the size of 3 packs of cigarettes. Weighs a few pounds. Would fit in a glove box. It usually comes with both a set of small +/- clips for temporary hook up, and a more permenant pigtail that can be put on terminals and can quickly and easily plug in the unit.
I have seen them at Wal-mart, K-Mart etc.
Believe it is made my Schumacher.
It's great to have around. Also hook it to the electric start lawn mower or snowblower or motorcycle when they are not going to be used for a while.

OP
OP
V

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks, im going to get one. will it charge the battery enough to start the car, or should i jump start it first? at this point its still really low

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Battery should charge in a few to several hours with a "battery tender"...remembering that these devices use a very low output (range of 1.25 amps for a 12v Deltran Battery Tender Plus). While we have all done it in the past, I try to avoid a car-to-car "jump" whenever possible given the sensitive electronics on board cars these days. I do keep a battery pack available for such occasions.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery tender is not designed to charge a fully dead battery. It takes "forever". Better idea is to charge it most of the way with a regular charger, or jump it and take it out for a few hours drive, then on the tender for a few days.
Keeping it on the tender when the car is stored will eliminate this issue.
Don't forget SRT's have a special sleep mode that is outlined in the manual. Reduces drain.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Point taken, Paul...I had figured that with NO charger or tender to date, he was NOT likely to buy TWO...and, since he said "it just clicks ", that the battery is not totally gone. Under similar circumstances, Battery Tender Plus has indeed charged Viper batteries to the point of successful "start" in "several hours" in my experience, though, admittedly...I'm usually in a little more of a rush and use a battery pack or a 10 amp charger.

P.S. If one does use a real charger, one might want to refrain from hitting the high amp "start" switch to be on safe side...hate to blow PCM !!!

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My previous post 2 weeks ago:

Did not think I would need a trickle charger, but something drained my battery quicker than expected, not sure what. Not even enough juice to power the door solenoid. I jumped it and went for an hour spin to charge it back up. Curious if anyone else has had similar experience:

Viper has been parked unlocked in a COLD garage in normal mode (not power saving mode).
Two weeks ago the Viper was started/idled for 15 minutes (seemed fine).
One month ago the Viper was driven.

Anyone else experienced an unusually fast drain? Normal? Should I be using the "power save" mode for anything more than a week?

Thanx.

This thread answered my previous question. I am now using the "power saving" mode. Only comment I would make about jumping is to follow the directions in the Viper owner manual. Give the Viper 10-15 minutes while on the cables to get the voltage up before hitting the starter.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to drive mine a few hours each month. So far, I haven't had any problems.

Starting it up and letting it idle for only 15 minutes, probably drew more current than you put back it.

Living in San Diego, I would have thought you would have more of an opportunity to drive. But then again, southern CA has been getting soaked from what I see on the news.

Good luck.

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two questions:

(1) What is the downside of using Power Saver Mode?

(2) When you connect the battery trickle charger, can you connect the positive to the terminal post in the engine compartment rather than to the battery in the trunk (assume so)...

Thx.

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The one I purchased was from www.griotsgarage.com and is called "Battery Manager Junior II. It has three indicator lights: ac power, charging, maintain. The instructions said:

Charging mode: on when connection to battery is proper and it charges battery to ~14.4Vdc then transitions into the 'Float Mode' where the White LED light turns and regulating voltage reduces to a lower level. It says teh float mode can be used over a entire season without overcharging and maintains a full charge. It also has overload protection and opens under severe load.

Sounds like similiar product... Although more costly.

Mark777