Another tire question: Pirelli vs Mich Pilots on the street

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 2000 wheels and tires on my '96. With the injector and pulley upgrade soon coming to my car I'll be in the 650rwhp range from my current 590. I'm not totally pleased with the 'off the line' hook up of the Pilots. I know the Kuhmos are sticker, but I don't want the wheel wells white washed with rock chips. Are the Pirelli 18's a better option? TIA

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

1) after seing how Gary Javo's 20" Pirellis hooked on his post-heffner videos I'm thinking the Pirellis have way more straight-line bite than the Pilots.

2) What about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups with the race tread/rubber. I hear they are not as sticky as the Kumhos so the car won't get beat.

3) I noticed a posting on the Gen III board that Bridgestone makes it Enzo Scuderia rear tire in a Viper-friendly size, so maybe we will get some feedback about how those tires grip soon.

OP
OP
R

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, Gary's car with the Pirelli's is what got me curious in the first place. I'm definitely more interested in the straight line. I'll check out the Pilot Sport Cups. Thanks!

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both at different times on my Z-06. The P-Zeros were WAY stickier than the Pilots. In fact, I absolutely hated the Pilot Sports. I can't believe how much better I like them on the Viper though. (I believe, however, that the stinking immense width of the 335s out back has a little something to do with that.) I don't think the Pilots can hold a candle to the Pirellis as far as traction.

Christian