Oil capacity for a 96 RT10?

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the oil capacity for a 96 RT10. This website show it at 11 qts. The owners manual shows it a 9.5 And my factory service manual shows 10 with a correction sticker over it with 7.5 on it. Any ideas?

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 98 took 8 quarts I think the 96 rt has the same size pan as mine, dodnt think they went with the 10quart pan until the later GenII's

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Dean noted...and, from the red/black 1996 RT/10 Service Manual fluid capacity section...10 quarts with filter change.

OP
OP
R

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Steve, I have that same book. It has a correction page glue over it, that says 7.5 underlined.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I have deained over nine quarts from that engine, and can replace about 8.5 on first pass, then, top up with another 3/4 to 1.0 quart after a drive cycle...about same as our 95.

The "7.5 quarts" (with filter change) that you mentioned is from the blue/white 1996 GTS Service Manual...repeated in the 1997 Service Manual as well. I USUALLY can get about 8.5 quarts in the 97 when I change oil and filter.

Since volume out/in varies with car and drain time m( I do this with about an hour of drain time)...I deliberately undershoot on refill, check it after a couple of run cycles, top up as necessary right after the change...then, I seem to have a stable level that holds til next change. Others' experiences may be different.