Thread: Not a Viper thought, but a Dodge Charger thought

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Default Not a Viper thought, but a Dodge Charger thought

After Gone in 60 Seconds was re-made there was a flood of kits and companies that would make Elenor clones and get good money for them, granted it was a rare car but they were clones! With the pending Dukes of Hazard movie due to be released this summer do you think it could be profitable to start a restore and clone a General Lee now?

Enthusiast

Default Re: Not a Viper thought, but a Dodge Charger thought

I would say no because people have been building General Lee clones for years. No doubt after the movie debutes you will see a rise in General Lee clones but not enough to have a solid market for it.

FWIW they are filming the movie here in Louisiana, a friend sent me a couple pics of the cars and Jessica Sim,pson in her "Daisy Dukes". All I can say is WOW!!

Enthusiast

where's the pics?????

Enthusiast

Here are a few pix of Jessica as Daisy.

Daisy Pix

Viper Owner

Hot for sure!

Call me old fashioned, but I do not picture Daisy as a blonde though. Give me Cathrine Bach in her day!!

Enthusiast

You have to remember that the "select" companies that are making Eleanor's are not making clones. The cars they are making are authorized by Carrol Shelby and therefore are not clones. They are tagged as being GT500E's And when you title the car they will be titled as a 1967 Shelby. They are not clones, trust me, I have one ordered.

Enthusiast

I'd pass on the cloned Charger, even though it's better looking than the new one!

Dukes:
    I think Roscoe is going to have to cuff'r and suff'r. Nick Leshay(sp?) is lucky to have that crazy cooter!!

Viper Owner

Hot for sure!

Call me old fashioned, but I do not picture Daisy as a blonde though. Give me Cathrine Bach in her day!!
    Agreed!!!!

VCA Member
    Northeast

You have to remember that the "select" companies that are making Eleanor's are not making clones. The cars they are making are authorized by Carrol Shelby and therefore are not clones. They are tagged as being GT500E's And when you title the car they will be titled as a 1967 Shelby. They are not clones, trust me, I have one ordered.
    Also Ford Motor Co will recognize the all-new GT500E VINs as legit cars as well, something no upstart tuner could accomplish regardless of talent.

There was an episode of "Rides" on TLC where Kenny Wayne Shepard spent $$$ for a complete frame-off, Pro-Touring (if that's still a used term) General Lee and frankly I wasn't too impressed with it.

Elenor's popularity was a fluke, the right customers with the right money created their own market. I hope it happens again but I'm not holding my breath...

Enthusiast

I'd pass on a General Lee clone too. I'd be surprised if the movie creates a market for them. "Starsky & Hutch" didn't do anything for the Torino market (that I can recall)......

Enthusiast

How can a car that is manufactured in 2005 be titled as a 1967 car? That just seems wrong to me.

I have owned three Mustangs (2 95's and a 66 coupe) and to be honest, I don't quite get the big deal with Eleanor clones (or whatever you want to call them). They're VERY nice, but to me, it is not a 67 Shelby it is just a new car.

Viper Owner

Maybe like the grey Eleanor a distorted and uglified General Lee just to keep the "Nopi" kids happy.

Enthusiast

How can a car that is manufactured in 2005 be titled as a 1967 car? That just seems wrong to me.

I have owned three Mustangs (2 95's and a 66 coupe) and to be honest, I don't quite get the big deal with Eleanor clones (or whatever you want to call them). They're VERY nice, but to me, it is not a 67 Shelby it is just a new car.
    For the one company that actually has the certified Shelby badges, they actually take real '67 Mustangs and restore them to become "Eleanor" - there was a show on TLC about the whole organization. Based on that show, if I am not mistaken, they were not building a brand new car from the ground up...

As for the General Lee... go to Mopar Nat'ls in Columbus, OH - you'll see at least 3 or 4 "General Lee" Chargers there.

Viper Owner

The name "Eleanor" was or by the original writer of Gone in 60 seconds. He died while remaking the movie in the 80s. His wife helped out with the last movie with Cage in it. She is suing the company who is making Eleanor clones for using the name without permission. This was in either Super Chevy or Hot Rod a few issues back. I may be wrong, but I thought is was the company featured on Rides she was suing. I'd pass on the General too as they are all over.

Enthusiast

H.B. "Toby" Halicki came up with the "Eleanor" name, which was a 73 (I think) Mach One.

Enthusiast

The orig movie is of course superior.General Lee didn't have much appeal the first time around. GTS Bruce

Enthusiast

Toby Halicki was filming Gone In 60 Seconds Part 2 when he was killed. He also made "The Junkman" which is essentially the same movie. You know, he drives around and stuff gets smashed/blown up.

VCA Member
    Northeast

She is suing the company who is making Eleanor clones for using the name without permission.
    The rebuilt cars are not called Eleanors, they're called GT500Es and Supersnakes (The 750hp version) so I'm not sure how much of a claim she would have. The only arguement I could see make is that it looks the same, but I don't see how you could copywrite the "look" of a 40 year old car.