The new GTO made in Australia?

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last night I was watching Speed Channel's story on the new Pontiac GTO and I learned for the first time this American muscle car is coming from Australia. What is wrong with this picture? I realize that this isn't new news to some of you but it really hit me wrong.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pontiac wanted to emanate the heritage of the classic GTO so they decided to build the car in Australia. This rationale is similiar to how Dodge wanted to emanate the heritage of the classic Charger; make it a four door sedan.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM's Pontiac division didn't have a 2 door performance platform to build the GTO on so they had to tap their Australian affiliate. Doesn't matter though, Pontiac totally missed the boat with this car. They refused to utilize any retro styling on the GTO. It doesn't resemble the old Goats in styling at all. They finally decided to add hood scoops this year. It's sad that they chose to divorce the car from it's late 60's early 70's predecessors after Ford did such a great job with the Mustang. BRING BACK THE TRANS AM!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car has been made for yrs in Aussi. the Holden Manaro, they also have a pick-up version like a El Camino. they are/were planing a small block 427 version limited run(very small) probably will not make it to the states IF it gets made

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you look at the car from the side it looks like the rear wheel well is to small. It just looks wrong.

Randy

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
70 through 73 had the same styling. But I prefer the 71-72 for the 455, blue/white and white/blue color and high-back seats. Although a 70 RA IV or a 73 455 SD would be sweet.

The hood chicken wasn't too bad in 73. Later years it went out of control.

I loved those old birds.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 74 SD455 4 speed (1 of 212)sitting in my garage. It was in the 1975 Cannonball and on the cover of Car & Driver. Any one interested? It was appraised at 75K back in 1992 after having undergone a frame off restoration. The drove it in the 1999 Cannonball Classic. Red with Black interior.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved those old birds.

Me too. My 75 T/A turns as many heads as my Viper does. Most everybody remembers Trans Am's fondly.

1588front_1-med.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper