Thinking of buying a Viper SRT-10. Questions inside.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I test drove an 05 Dodge Viper last weekend and I loved it although all the on and off-ramps were passed going sideways.. I have several questions that I need good answers on before I make my decision to buy one.

1. What are the common problems / reliability issues with stock 05 Viper SRT-10’s?
2. Does the convertible top leak water or make sound at high speeds?
3. What is the problem with the door sills? What is the solution?
4. What is the RWHP / RWTQ a stock Viper SRT-10 puts down?
5. Viper SRT-10 has no knock sensors, right? How do the high HP guys tune the engine?
6. How many ribs is the stock belt?
7. No matter what I drive, I have to modify. What is a reliable and cost efficient way to achieve 750 RWHP? I was thinking Paxton supercharger, CNC heads, Corsa Track Exhaust, Headers, etc…
8. How much psi boost are the Paxton guys running? Do you ever experience belt slip / shred? How much RWHP or boost can the stock bottom end handle? What breaks first? How do you guys tune the engine?
9. The drivetrain. What do you need to modify to handle 750 RWHP? Perhaps beefed up differential, high HP half shafts, twin or triple disk clutch, etc?
10. What are the reliability problems with Paxton SRT-10’s?
11. Is the stock oiling system enough for autocrossing or High HP applications? What do you guys do to improve oiling?
12. Where do you guys discuss the technical details of the SRT-10 Engine (Internal & External Engine), and Forced Induction?

Viper is a total different animal to me and I don’t know much about it. I want to know everything I can before I jump into it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

ART

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will answer questions that I have experience with:

1: I haven't had any mechanical problems with my 04 car.

2: The convertible top doesn't leak. The windows sometimes close on the outside of the top when you shut the door with the windows up.

3: The problem with the sills is they get hot. The fix is high-flow cats and exhaust

4: Expect about 440hp and 470 lb feet

5: 05 SRT-10 has knock sensors

11: The stock oiling system is inadequate. You will need to buy a $1700 comp coupe oil pan

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, that's almost 12% loss through drivetrain. That's one of the best I've ever heard.

So, the 05 SRT-10's ECU is different than others?

11: The stock oiling system is inadequate. You will need to buy a $1700 comp coupe oil pan
What's so special about the comp coupe oil pan for $1,700? It's not dry sump, right?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's almost 12% loss through drivetrain. That's one of the best I've ever heard.

So, the 05 SRT-10's ECU is different than others?

What's so special about the comp coupe oil pan for $1,700? It's not dry sump, right?

The power and torque numbers are pretty conservative. Many folks have stock Vipers that do better.

I assume that the ECU must be different in order to accomodate the sensors. I don't know that, however.

The comp coupe oil pan is baffled and has a swing arm pick-up. Without it, oil pools during high speed cornering, and your engine starves for oil.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 05 ECU is different to accomodate the knock sensors.

Kai is correct about the pan. However, it is specifically one manuever (left hand sweeper) that can starve the engine, due to a non-center mounted oil pickup. The Comp Coupe oil pan is just about as good as an oiling system can get, I would say right on par with a dry sump system- and much more reliable for the street.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. The top makes no noise at speed - it has a rigid shell that lines the top and keeps it in place. It does not "pillow up" going down the freeway at all. Always looks and sounds good.

8. Us "Paxton guys" are running around 7psi. Can't do more with the stock cast pistons. I have no belt slip issues. Most belt slip is exeperienced with the Prochargers (they are more difficult to get spinning than the Novi in the Paxton kit). I don't know of any Paxton cars putting down more than 750hp at the rear (engine couldn't reliably handle much more than that). Tuning of the engine has to be done by a shop that can modify the programing of the SplitSecond pigy-back unit. OR you could have a VEC2 installed and have it tuned.

10. I have not experienced or heard of reliability issues from any Paxton owners. But keep in mind if your car is not BONE STOCK (with the exception of gears) you'll need to have the Paxton tuned, because the SplitSecond AFR mapping is programed for a STOCK car. Bottom line, running Paxton kit on a modded car, W/O tuning will give you a poorly running car.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
8. Us "Paxton guys" are running around 7psi. Can't do more with the stock cast pistons. I have no belt slip issues. Most belt slip is exeperienced with the Prochargers (they are more difficult to get spinning than the Novi in the Paxton kit). I don't know of any Paxton cars putting down more than 750hp at the rear (engine couldn't reliably handle much more than that). Tuning of the engine has to be done by a shop that can modify the programing of the SplitSecond pigy-back unit. OR you could have a VEC2 installed and have it tuned.

10. I have not experienced or heard of reliability issues from any Paxton owners. But keep in mind if your car is not BONE STOCK (with the exception of gears) you'll need to have the Paxton tuned, because the SplitSecond AFR mapping is programed for a STOCK car. Bottom line, running Paxton kit on a modded car, W/O tuning will give you a poorly running car.

How much RWHP and RWTQ are you guys putting down with Paxton? I will probably go tha same route and put Paxton, Belanger headers, high flow cats, Corsa track pipes, CNC Heads, etc.
What size belt are you guys using with the Paxton? 8-rib or 10-rib?
Are you guys using off the shelf Paxton superchargers or do some performance companies modify the Paxton (modified bracket, intercooler, etc) to make it a better supercharger?
Do you guys use air-to-water or air-to-air intercooler setup with the Paxton setup?
How loud is the supercharger? Does it have a nice whining at idle and nice whoosh from the blow off valve?
What is the stock gears on a 05 SRT-10? What are some popular ratios that people change to? Do you guys beef up the differential when you change the ratio?
How much does a setup like yours cost installed? Paxton, Belanger headers, High flow cats, Corsa Track exhaust, Stage III CNC Heads, Comp coupe oil pan, 3.55 rear?
Do any of you Paxton guys run it on a forged short block with forged and dished pistons, forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, high performance rings, rod and main bearings? How much does a forged short block cost?
Does the 05 SRT-10 engine have a head-lift problem under high boost, say like 16-18 psi?

Lots of questions here, I know. But I want to learn as much as I can before I jump into an area I know nothing about.

Thanks.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-678 RWHP & 659 RWTQ With b&b headers and hifo cats.
-8-RIB BELT
-Shelf paxton KIT
-Comes with air-to-water intercooler
-How loud is the supercharger? Does it have a nice whining at idle and nice whoosh from the blow off valve ? YES
-3.07 for stock srt10...kept it on mine
-How much it cost, depends on how much you want to spend
-some do, LIKE THE CHAD "World's Quickest and Fastest V-10 Viper and IRS Street Car.
8.28 at 176.26 mph with auto
World's Quickest and Fastest 6-speed Street Car.
8.75 at 168.00 mph with T-56
Built by Heffners Performance / Tuned by Turbo People"

-No idea
-Yes, lots of question
-Next answers will cost you
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave