A sad day indeed!! Your prayers would be uplifting...............

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found out today that my mother-in-law was diagnosed with liver cancer, and has been given 3 months to live (without chemo) and about 9 months with chemo. Shocking as she just underwent a battery of test over the last year or so and nothing was detected. Doctors are puzzzled as to how quickly the cancer engulfed the liver. Oncologist said that this was a very aggressive cancer and probably was not there a few months ago.

My wife just finished her battle with ****** cancer and the whole chemo ordeal last year, and was just getting back to normalcy. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated in this time of sadness.

Bindy

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bindy,

Terribly sorry....

Our thoughts, prayers, and hopeful wishes go out to you, your mother-in-law, and your family.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohhh so sorry to hear about this.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your Mother-in-law has been diagnosed with cancer. My prayers will be with her.

The funny thing about tests is that they are just that – tests. They do not guarantee anything. My close friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. It was caught initially by taking the usual PSA test and then followed up with a biopsy to confirm. Six months later - one week before surgery to remove my friend’s prostate - a last minute PSA test indicated there was no cancer! The surgery went ahead as planed and there was indeed cancer.

You see tests are neither perfect nor conclusive. It’s the luck of the draw. If my friend had taken his initial test as he did the week before his surgery he would have been sent home and told that he was fine. Another year of cancer growth and no guarantee that it would have been caught the next year either. Scary stuff!

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost my beautiful wife to ****** cancer nearly 3 years ago...surgery, chemo, radiation... we thought we'd beaten it...she was only 38 when she was diagnosed.. post chemo tests were normal...but it reapppeared and it too was very aggressive. The only thing I would have done differently would be to insist on CAT Scans even with normal test results. You will be in my prayers. God Bless.

Paul

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After my mom lost her fight with ****** cancer, I've stopped believing in chemo. I think it weakens the body too much and reeduces the quality of living dramatically. I'm not a doctor but I will not recommend chemo to anybody unless they are young and active and aggressive.

My mom's condition worstened rapidly after chemo and she had to be taken care of 24 hours. She lived for exactly 1 year after her diagnosis of stage IV ****** cancer.

Obviously you case is different. It's a hard decision but I urge you/her to consider 3 months of life v/s 9 months of vegetative life.

She is in my thoughts.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
My dad went almost 2 years after diagnosis. But he had been smoking since he was 12ish. He went through radiation therapy, and it killed it (cancer) the first time, but came back.
I will send my prayers to your family.
Also, there are alternatives, and other things that can be done in conjunction with any treatment(s). The first one is diet. Like for guys, cucumbers/yams/squash/peppers/eggplantshallots/garlic are good to prevent prostate cancer. (2002 study)
Western Yellow, New York Bold and Northern Red onions and shallots were found to be more effective against liver cancer.
Shallots had six times the cancer-fighting content of Vidalia, the onion variety with the lowest content. Western Yellow onions had more flavonoids by far -- 11 times more -- than Western Whites, the onion with the fewest flavonoids.
A study was originally designed to assess the long-terms effects of vitamin K2 on bone loss in women with viral cirrhosis of the liver, usually due to hepatitis C. Half of the women were given vitamin K2 and half served as controls. Many more cases of liver cancer occurred in the control group as compared to those taking vitamin K2. These women were nearly 90% less likely to develop liver cancer. This is a very important because persons with hepatitis C are at an increased risk for liver cancer

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this...my daughter's mother (my ex) has been battling a brain tumor for five years. She is loosing now. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Bruce

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happiness and laughter helps. My cousin just got through beating massive heart cancer...he and the doctors agree that it was mostly attitude. I hope that regardless of the outcome that from this point on her life is full of happiness.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality check. We all need to count our blessings for what we have. I often forget that.
Prayers said.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Add My voice of prayer for your mother(inlaw). I went through the same in my family and know how it feels. Be there for her no matter which direction she goes with it.

It will also mean much to her by not changing your actions around her. What I mean is if you always get into fights with her about some things don't change. The more the normal her life can be, the easyer her life with the cancer will be, and if God does call, her passing will be more peaceful for her and your family. Just try to remember all the good things and time with her in your lives.

God Bless to all of You

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My prayers are with you, its a tough time and enjoy what time you do have. Chemo can be rough but only lasts a couple months which means an extra 4-5 months to spend together, enjoy what time you have!

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God never gives you more than you can handle, though in dark periods such as this, it may not seem that's true. Keep your chin up. I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Lynn

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bindy I well keep your mother and family in my thoughts and prayers......especialy for you because you have gone so far out of your way to help others.

Cudaman :usa:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will also mean much to her by not changing your actions around her. What I mean is if you always get into fights with her about some things don't change. The more the normal her life can be, the easyer her life with the cancer will be, and if God does call, her passing will be more peaceful for her and your family.
I agree with this 100%.

OP
OP
V

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!! Thank you for the prayers and all the emails, and all the kind words. I have printed them all up for her so that she can read them since she is a big Viper fan.

It has been tough breaking the news to the kids. At 61, we expected her to be around for many of the kids activities in the years to come.

Since the news broke, I have been in a daze, and I can only imagine how my wife is. Driving the GTS on Saturday was a great help to relieve some stress for me. These Vipers are such a great help in stressful times. :)

We have left the choices up to my mother in law, whether to proceed with chemo or just let it run its course with morphine. We will know tomorrow after the results from the brain scan etc. comes back in.

Again, thank you for all the prayers and kind words.

Oh, on the lighter side, I am putting in a soccer field in my backyard, and we almost have it completed. I was getting a sign made to read "VIPERS' TRAINING GROUNDS". My 8 year old who is on the VIPERS' competitive team which I coach,
made a comment that we should name the field "Grandma Vipers". So, once grandma does pass on, we will put up a sign dedicating this field to her. Just made me smile after hearing this.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Bindy,
Try to keep her in good spirits.
My grandmother has been battling cancer and is holding up well with the support.
Your family will be in our prayers.
Regards,
Sean