96 v 97 Viper

427Aggie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been lurking for a long time...always a car nut and I am ready to drop the the hammer and purchase a car. Always loved the blue with white stripes...I have read all the posts on the differences in the model years and assuming that I have all the tsb's done would anyone have a hesitation in puchasing a 96 over a 97.

Matt

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96's have weaker wheels (welded vs. forged). If you are not going to track it, its not an issue.

Both are good years otherwise.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Matt, we have a 97 B/W GTS...but I personally would NOT HESITATE to buy the RIGHT 96 B/W GTS... in MY opinion,only worry to a "collector" would be one of the rare 96's with the "porous block" that requires a motor swap to fix. While this VIN problem with the motor would would not likely worry a "driver" type guy, it usually does worry a collector...and, lowers said Viper's value.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Go for it!

Stripes through the license plate area are UNIQUE to this year, and of course, it's the first year of A CLASSIC!

OP
OP

427Aggie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

What do I need to look for on the block to find out if its porous? I always look at the value and how it will retain it.

Matt

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The one that I have SEEN ( heard of a couple of others) had gone through the usual multiple 1996 GTS oil-leak sorting steps (noting that some but NOT ALL have an oil-leak problem)...4-5 trips to the Viper Tech for one or more of the following leak fixes (there are a few more): new oil pan gasket, new pan ("porous"), rear main seal, timing chain cover gasket and/or cover, cam plug leak, etc....BUT, still leaking later (oddly, now MORE so)...and the Viper Tech talks with Zone Rep. and Arrow (at least that's how they did it a year ago), and engine goes to Arrow...possibly returns with a new block. I was told that there was a very narrow range of VIN's that were more prone to this, but cannot really add any more, noting the VIN sequences are a little hard for me to follow.

OP
OP

427Aggie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It gives me something to look for when I have the service record of the car I am looking at pulled. Thanks Steve.

Matt

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anytime, Matt...and, by now, MOST 96's (that have been driven more than a few miles) have likely been dealt with...so checking service history (through a Dodge dealer) coupled with an inspection (of Viper and it's parking place) should lead you to the RIGHT 1996...they are AWESOME !!!!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody have or had a 96 that had the porous block? Or does anyone know what the VIN # range was of the 96's that hade the porous block? I'm assuming it was the early 96's but just guessing.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chose a '97 over the '96 just to avoid all those little bugs. Regardless which year you choose, Blue-white is THE way to go!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gerald, knowing A VIN is one thing, making "build sense" (for car and/or engine) out of the VIN's is another as the build dates and the VIN's do not all march in order as I understand it.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a novelty to first year of production, Pace car year and the uniqueness of the "one year only" striping. If that matters to you (and it does to me) then a 1996 GTS is your only choice. If it doesn't, then either year is fine. You can find year specific problems with ANY year Viper. For example, 1997's only had bad intake gaskets, 1999's and below GENII's had frame issues that a recall fixed, some 1997's also had porous oil pan problems, all earlier Vipers had side sill corrosion issues, etc. As long as the various TSBs, recalls and any other year specific issues were fixed, you're fine. On Steve's post, as long as you verify the engine VIN, (as you would with any specialty car purchase) review the service history (as you always should)and verify that the engine is dry underneath (as you always should) your set.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with Ron !! By the way, Ron...lunch at Putnam Park tomorrow while watching/helping the run groups ???

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

If it doesn't rain, I might make it. Put the insurance on her today getting ready to end the hibernation. Would be a great "welcome back" run!

Hope to see you there...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cool...our old IMSA crew will be there with a new copy of our Porsche RSR from the early 70's...should be FUN !!!!

Of course, a couple of Viper drivers that you know will be lapping as well...the field is FULL !!!