Bounce off the BUGS!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back to San Diego after a round trip to Phoenix for the Zone Rendezvous. (had a blast)
Due to the recent record rains, the desert was breathtakingly beautiful. Green hills with lots of wild flowers....and also a bumpercrop of bugs.

We hit some big suckers, that turned into yellow splotches upon impact. Hard to remove with regular soap and water, then I remembered a trick I had heard about...bounce fabric softener towels.

I raided my laundry room, and wet a sheet of bounce. Presto...the bugs liquified upon touch. It was remarkable. The bug guts and shells just emulsified and wiped off. It left a white haze that I removed with a towel.

I also used a microfiber wash mit for the first time..Also good news.

Third tip is a waterblade. Removes most of the beaded up water, and drys the convertable top without leaving lint.

Car all shiney now for Victory Viper tech day...maybe have time for a coat of Meguiars before gets too dark.

:usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was driving through the Mojave desert, and as you know, the butterflies are out. It was so intense, every 2 seconds, a bug hits the windshield, and makes a quarter-sized yellow splash. After a few miles, I was out of washer fluid. It was so bad, I was thinking of driving with the winshield wipers on. When I got back, the radiator was completely crammed with bugs!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And don't forget Paul, your car now smells lemony fresh...........or did you use the Fresh as Springtime scent, big guy?

Seriously, great tip,and Hints by Heloise has nothing on you. I plan on passing this on to our Detail guy, as this sounds like a slick way to take care of a common problem. :headbang:

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great tip! Couldnt you have posted it sooner? I just spent a TON of time getting the bugs off my bumper.

Ive actually heard a lot of people put dryer sheets under thier seats to make the car smell better. Anyone out there try that?

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great tip! Couldnt you have posted it sooner? I just spent a TON of time getting the bugs off my bumper.

Ive actually heard a lot of people put dryer sheets under thier seats to make the car smell better. Anyone out there try that?

Yes, dryer sheets work good. I have also put lemon pledge on a cloth and left it in the car this works great as well.