New Viper Owner Needs Advice

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a new viper owner and am really enjoying reading the posts in this club. There is a lot to learn!

I posted my first viper experience on another post concerning the Elite Automotive group if anyone is interested. Hasn't been a lot of fun so far. I have put a total of 70 miles on my new baby and not by choice!
Anyway, while I am eagerly waiting to get the car back I have nothing else to do but think of stuff to do when it gets back..

so...

I am having trouble finding ramps or a decent setup for the back of my trailer which I was planning on using to haul the car on long trips. The nose touches the back drop down ramp unless I use some boards.
Does anyone make a nice ramp set that I could bolt on to the drop down ramp?

Here is a picture of the back end of my trailer..

9117124_2427_JFR-med.JPG

Not the best pic I admit but I hope it gives you guys the basic idea. Big drop down door, 7K axles with standard trailer height.

Any info or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Next item...

I am urging all to give me their opinions on what rims you think would look best on my car. I cannot make up my mind on whether to keep the BBS rims that are on the car or go with something more aggressive looking like a set of HRE rims.

Here is the way it looks now...

9117124_2466-med.JPG

Open to all ideas...

Here is something to keep in mind. The car has a Roe S/C and is being built by David Weaver in Austin. He is adding the water/**** injection, balancing and blueprinting the motor with custom pistons, rods etc. CNC ported and polished heads, B&B headers with no cats, custom fuel system, new AEM tuning system, HD halfshafts and a NOS system.

I am worried about traction.

Any ideas on wheels and tires??

Looking forward to hearing / reading your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Oh, one other thing I noticed is that of all the car pics I uploaded the one that has been viewed the most is the Sanches Sisters. Do people care about stuff other than Vipers in this club? :D

Cause I have more............ :headbang:

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have HRE's that are the same style as the BBS you have-(HRE model 540, 10 spokes splitting into 20 spokes at the end). I think your wheels look great and wouldn't change. I built my own ramps-very easy to do and you get what you want. Use 2x12 inch pressure treated boards. Stagger them one on top the other, so that you have 32 inches of length before the next board sits on top the previous board. That's what rise was required on mine(distance between front of bumper and front of wheel on each side relative to clearing 2 inches at the lowest part of the bumper). I used a total of 3 boards on each side to give a 6 inch ramp(actually about 5 inches). So, the first board is 32 inches, the board under it is 64 inches, and the bottom board is 96 inches. Only drawback is they're a bit heavy. Having said all that, I think all you will need for your trailer is one long, strong board(2x12 inches) on each side for each wheel, maybe 6 foot long, and put one end on the ground and one end halfway up your trailer door. That's what I would try first.

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rims look great. If you go another way, call me first! I'll take them off your hands cheap. :2tu:

DW has suggested the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. There is another car in the shop with yours with a similar set up and DW claims that customer loves them. We're looking at a set now for the bosses 700 HP RT/10 that DW is tuning.

DW said your purchase experience hasn't been too fun thus far, but it looks like you're keeping your head up and will really enjoy the beast soon.

I saw someone that made some custom aluminum ramps for their trailer. I thought it was Dr. Roof, but not sure. If I can find any pictures I'll send them your way.

Good luck, hope to see you on the road soon!

RandyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What type of tow vehicle? If you can install air bags and raise the rear of the tow vehicle, rear of trailer goes down. Works kinda like a tilt bed trailer.

Randy

OP
OP
P

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for all the replies. It is great to read through the information and apply it.

On the first issue, thanks to Rocket65c and Jerry Walker for the ramp ideas. I think I found what I was wanting at pitpal, I had seen pics somewhere on the web showing the same hookup.

You must be registered for see images

to RandyS, I am using a 2004 3/4 4x4 Quad Cab Dodge with cummins turbo, chip, exhaust and intake and 33" tires. I have messed with jacking the back up almost 12" and it still cannot drive the car up without boards. The only thing I have been able to figure out is make the drop door longer...

does anyone make a slide out hydraulic lift like the big rigs have? would anyone be interested in one if I had one designed? would be really easy to load etc.. by yourself.
food for thought.

to RoadKing, I called John at CCW to get a quote on his wheels and he is recommending the 19" with Pirelli setup. His opinion is that the Sport Cups are like driving on plastic unless you get them really hot. I know DW and really respect his opinion so I think I will go with what he is recommending.

Currently I am on I-40 which is why I was not able to check and reply to your posts before now. I am quite excited as I am going to my first Nascar race(s) this weekend in Bristol. I am taking a buddy who has been a diehard fan for years and has never been able to go, and my 5 year old who had is birthday yesterday and is quite excited to be on a big boy trip. Going to the Bush cup tomorrow and the Nextel on Sunday...... It has only been a 20 hour drive from West Texas to where we are now, about 30 miles from Bristol. Cannot wait....

and for those of you who are nascar fans, bear in mind I am new to the sport, my 5 year old wants me to tell all of you that "97" is the man! Guess we'll see if he gets his b-day wish.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read your post on your Viper buying experience, and I must say, WOW, had to be love at first sight, to buy a Viper, and then turn around and dump 15 large to have driveable, OUCHHHHHHH....

But, must admit, beautiful ride, I probably would off done the same, are you gonna make the dealership answere for the BS????

looks like you got the body and mechanicals covered, any plans for the interior???

Welcome to the Viper World....

Rick

OP
OP
P

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
some of the pics of the custom leather work by snakehydes i think, look really good. I am having the 6 point belts installed and am thinking of doing the interior in black with custom leather seats. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the welcome

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think a set of HRE's 545R's or 547R's in chrome would look awesome on your car. If you went with 19's it might give you enough heigth to clear the ramp without touching. Great looking color on your viper as well. :2tu:

OP
OP
P

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in Midland, Texas and am also wondering which club jurisdiction I would fall under.
I am shooting for about 900+ with the NOS shot (50 shot) and about 750 at the rear wheels with the aem set on safe tune. David is telling me that I should run about 1100+ TQ when done.
Looking forward to the dyno.

How about yourself?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think a set of HRE's 545R's or 547R's in chrome would look awesome on your car. If you went with 19's it might give you enough heigth to clear the ramp without touching. Great looking color on your viper as well. :2tu:

Brain, Please keep references to chrome wheels on the Corvette forum.

Peak, Nice set up, your gonna like the Roe blower on the street. :2tu: :usa:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Oh, one other thing I noticed is that of all the car pics I uploaded the one that has been viewed the most is the Sanches Sisters. Do people care about stuff other than Vipers in this club? Cause I have more... >>

I care!! Got any pics to share? Can't wait!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Oh, one other thing I noticed is that of all the car pics I uploaded the one that has been viewed the most is the Sanches Sisters. Do people care about stuff other than Vipers in this club? Cause I have more... >>

Me too, Me too...

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brain, Please keep references to chrome wheels on the Corvette forum.

Peak, Nice set up, your gonna like the Roe blower on the street. :2tu: :usa:

Boy your in trouble now. Wait until I talk to Glenda!! tick, tick, tick, tick,
tick, tick, tick. :D

OP
OP
P

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bear in mind I am new to the online forum technology, how do I send them in a PM off my computer, or do you all want me to email them to you?

Anything to help out a fellow viper owner :)

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to "My Home" at the top of this page. From there you can send ***. Or, look up someones moniker under User List, and from there (their page) you can also send a PM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth