gas Pedal FELL OFF!!! HELP.....

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So i am driving the car the other on a VERY nice day, and i press the gas, and it felt like something was under the pedal, so at the next stoplight i reach down and pick the WHOLE GAS Pedal!!

Anyone know how this thing mounts back on? the pedal looks to be fine, just looks like a pin and the spring cam off, but anyone know how it mounts back on........Take a picture of the back side for me?

Thanks!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric.
This is not all that unusual. I had it happen on my 96. It was not that hard to figure out what came loose. The horizontal pin simply pushed itself out of it's hole, and I was left with a pedal floping around on the floor. This was in turn two at Willow Springs.
You will need to crawl down there, feet up in the air to replace pin. I believe I bent something near the spring to keep it from comming back off, and it was later replaced under warranty with a new pedal.

Sorry to not be more help, but it went right back on.

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL...that is a common problem for sure.

well youre a big darn help! :rolleyes:

thanks Paul i'll take a look, just wasnt sure how the spring mounted on there and if there is anything that holds the pin in place....

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a sign from the "Great One"..... tellin' ya yer drivin' viper days are over.... :smirk:

:D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, Mine didn't fall completely off but the plastic pin came out. Worked it back in place and put a dab of RTV on the end to hold it in. Three months later it is still holding. :usa:

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THAT'S NOTHING!! My Steering Wheel came off in turn #5 at Willowsprings. I had a new quick disconnect on my #101 Track Car and did not get the wheel snapped all the way into place. Had to clean my shorts that day!!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a sign from the "Great One"..... tellin' ya yer drivin' viper days are over.... :smirk:

:D

Wayne Gretsky??

Since when does Wayne know squat about Vipers? :headbang:

:p

Jay K.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine rattles all the time. The pedals are what I like least about the Viper. Some day I'm going to fix the problem by tig welding pedals from ultimate pedals.com. I plan on having the brake pedal welded closer to the gas (off centered to the left from the metal post). This of course requires removing the entire assembly (fun). I think the gas pedal comes for a Caravan or Omni. It is an embarrassment to the Viper. People ask me what's that rattle noise is. The best I've done so far is quieted it a little with some foam.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely would have been disappointed if I purchased my GTS new. The gas pedal is a joke. I own a Dodge Omni and the gas pedal doesn't rattle and works perfectly fine. Is there a good list of issues on the 2nd gen cars so I can repair them before they leave me stranded? I know about the door wiring, and maybe windshield wiper motors. Anything else I should add to the list?

I should get the "mad scientist" award for bringing this thread back from the dead!

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
birdcage (or is that just gen 1 :dunno: )

You must be registered for see images attach

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonderful, thats something i am not looking forward to happening to my 97 GTS, I'm starting to hear a click in my clutch pedal i wonder if the pin is going on that pedal

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy thread revival Batman!!! :D Seriously, the clutch pedal in my '01 is starting to squeak when I push down on it. Should probably take a look at it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonderful, thats something i am not looking forward to happening to my 97 GTS, I'm starting to hear a click in my clutch pedal i wonder if the pin is going on that pedal

Holy thread revival Batman!!! :D Seriously, the clutch pedal in my '01 is starting to squeak when I push down on it. Should probably take a look at it.

Mine would click all the time and squeak when cold. Ended up being a torn rubber or plastic (can't remember) grommet. Cheap part, but a PITA to install

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same happened to my Viper. The pin ended up getting lost, but I have the pedal and spring. I've been debating just getting a long thin machine screw to reattach the pedal and spring. Meanwhile I've been driving the car without it and it works fine.

That pedal is a cheesy part, but I guess that's what the corporate parts bin contained...

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine came off a few times and I realized you really didnt need it if you were in a bind....just press on the stub thats left and off ya go.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone make a stiffer spring for the throttle? Mine is so light I don't really like the feel. I prefer more resistance to it... I can barely feel it. I'm still learning to drive this thing, but the pedals are a major weakspot IMHO.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty funny thread until this morning! OK, my gas pedal fell off... I have all the parts, but not sure about the spring orientation. I've already searched and didn't find any pictures here or in the service manual. Anybody have a picture of a Gen II gas pedal from the back showing the spring?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't patient enough to wait for a picture.:dunno: I went out and decided to just 'figure it out'. Sorry, no pictures, but if it happens to you and you read the below, I think you'll get the idea. First off, a couple of clarifications so the description of the process will make sense. The pedal goes with the LONG end up, using the pivot point as a reference as to long/short end. The spring goes to the left of the shaft with the hooked part going over the top of the shaft and the bottom leg pushing on the short end of the pedal, making the top of the pedal go towards the firewall. The splined pin goes in from the right, through the hole in the shaft and then through the spring coil and finally, exiting out of the pedal mount.

I tried aligning the pedal, shaft, spring and pin with the only two hands I have ... NOT something I was able to do! :mad: Mind you, this whole operation has to be done BLIND unless you pull the assembly or seat out, neither of which appealed to me.

The key to accomplishing this feat of dexterity was to find a small bolt, pin, dowel ... almost anything that could go in the pedal hole from the left, through the spring coil and hold the spring in the approximate position while aligning the pedal, shaft and pin. Whatever you use should only go about 1/4" into the spring (allowing the pin to come in from the other side without interference). I used the plastic sleeve part of a drywall anchor, inserted from the left side of the pedal. The goal is to find something that will hold the spring in place and still be able to be pushed back out by the pin as it is pushed in from the right. It takes a little feeling around with the pin and putting a little pressure on the spring coil, but they all lined up in a few seconds. The pin went right on through pushing the anchor out of the center of the spring coil and then into the exit hole. :D

Something has to be done to keep the pin from backing out again ... some have used RTV on the end of the pin, some have drilled the pin and used a cotter pin, some have put a cap on it. Me ... I put some Gaffers tape on the head of the pin keeping it from backing out. That should last a good long while.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gas pedal in my 2001 GTS kept coming off so I just left it off, I cant even tell the difference with it not being there. It has not had a pedal on there for like 4 yrs. I just step on the stick. lol And really I cant even tell the difference.