First time owner checking in

egokilr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats up,

Just purchased my first Viper so I am very new to the cars still athough I have liked them for some time. 98 GTS Silver 32,000 miles. Looking foward to doing some simple mods to start. Just wondering as far as the best route to take for exhausts. And any other new owner maintnence tips or what to look out for.
Thanks,

Andrew

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, welcome to the Forum. You will probably get more traffic on your questions if you post in the RT / GTS forum, and if you do a search for posts about exhausts, you will find that everybody on here has an opinion and probably a picture of most every combination out there. I had the B&B catback on my 02 GTS and it wasn't quite as agressive sounding as I would have liked, although if I would have put the high flow cats on, it probably would have made the difference I was looking for. It also had slightly eliptical tips. I like the looks of the Corsa, but it has a higher pitched sound than I liked. Anyway, I am sure you will get lots of advice and once again welcome.

Reaction score
Congratulations and Welcome to the Viperholics of America!

Modifications? What do you want to the mods to do? Drag racing? Road Racing?

The first an best modification is to the Pilot's Computer Software. This up grade is available from Skip Barber with special discounts for VCA members. 1 800-221-1131 Next, Safety items, roll bar as a minimum and fire suppression suggested.

After these upgrades road course activity will benefit most from higher temp. brake fluid (Motul), high brake pads and better track tires. Once the Pilot's Computer Software upgrades have been mastered then the differential and engine are candidates. Bolt-on are pretty straight forward with K&N filter system, Headers, high flow cats, Cat Back, heads ported and polished with larger valves. Want more get a stroker motor built.

Or go to the Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix on April 8-10, 2005 and stop by booth #1011 in the Lifestyle Expo Hall to lock in the lowest price available on select 2005 Skip Barber driving/racing schools!* Check out these available savings:

Skip Barber Racing School
Three-Day Racing School - save up to $795
Advanced Two-Day Racing School - save up to $225

Dodge/Skip Barber Driving School
One-Day Driving School - save up to $100
Two-Day Driving School - save up to $200
Two-Day Ultra High Performance - save up to $200

Take advantage of this opportunity to receive special pricing and attend one of these upcoming programs at CALIFORNIA SPEEDWAY or at any of our 2005 school locations.

Located just 50 miles east of Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA SPEEDWAY is regarded as one of the best facilities in North America, the speedway uses a purpose-built infield road course for select Racing School programs.
Three-Day Racing School, May 6-8
Three-Day Racing School, May 13-15
Three-Day Racing School, June 3-5
Three-Day Racing School, July 8-10
* You must be present at the booth to take advantage of this offer.

1-800-221-1131
www.skipbarber.com
:usa:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sound is always a personal thing, but Corsa is the only company we could get to actually send us published hp gains. Everyone else claimed numbers, but never could come up with documentation. Corsa is a Ohio based company, the systems are hand built , and I would wager they have the most extensive R&D in the country on the Viper. I have had three different systems on my Snakes, and they all have their pluses, but the Corsa will not drone at highway speed, so you can talk with your passenger. Under full throttle or idling,it sounds good, but the end product for me has always been their quality and dedication to increase power for your Viper. Good luck and enjoy, 98s are strong cars!!

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! I have the Random Tech Catback. The tips look exactly like the corsa but the sound is a low growling rumble. The sound awesome and are cheaper than some of the other catbacks. Call John B at Partsrack and ask him what he thinks. I believe he will agree they are great! Jon also has the best price, better than buying direct from Random Tech!

Rich

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound is always a personal thing, but Corsa is the only company we could get to actually send us published hp gains. Everyone else claimed numbers, but never could come up with documentation. Corsa is a Ohio based company, the systems are hand built , and I would wager they have the most extensive R&D in the country on the Viper. I have had three different systems on my Snakes, and they all have their pluses, but the Corsa will not drone at highway speed, so you can talk with your passenger. Under full throttle or idling,it sounds good, but the end product for me has always been their quality and dedication to increase power for your Viper. Good luck and enjoy, 98s are strong cars!!

What Bill said! AND Add a set of Belanger Headers and your car will sound AWESOME and you will gain some nice mid to top end power.

Dave :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy - every little exhaust mod you do creates a different sound - for example, cats / no cats, headers / no headers, corsa / borla, etc. And to complicate things even more, some people like some things, and others hate the same things for different reasons. My suggestion before you do anything is to listen to as many Vipers as you can to see which one fits your tastes, then invest your exhaust money in what appeals to you. CONGRATS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss