Having a ***** of a time matching my Viper Blue paint! Any Info?

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I am getting my front bumper, side sills, and wing painted blue to renew my old paint job and make the car look new, but my painter is having a hard time getting the color blue to match. It's either too dark, or when he trys to lighten it up, it's too cloudy. I have a 1997 GTS. Also the maker of his paint is Dupont. Also, if anyone has any info on where to get the exact paint, let me know. Thanks. I'm getting the car painted near Hershey, Pa.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the original paint is Sikkens(sp?), and I have heard/read that the blues did differ slightly. Can't your painted get it photo matched at a local paint supply?

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has the photo camera thing but it's still off a little bit. It seems like it needs to be a little bit purpler.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Original paint...Akzo Nobel.
(Sikkens is the retail equivalent of Akzo).

1997 Viper GTS Blue P.C. is: Chrysler paint code...SBE

Akzo/Sikkiens paint code CHA96:SBE

PPG......................19282

BASF.....................26100

DuPONT...................B9638

Above per 1997 Viper Service Manual

TopGear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it the same paint for the side sills or do you need something else for the high temps from the exhaust?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my '96.

Sikkens in the only paint that would match. Turns out that the metallic flake is unique to Sikkens. We shot lots of test panels with PPG to no avail. My shop got a perfect match with the Sikkens.

If memory serves me, the painter said that the Sikkens flake was more three dimensional that the other brands.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it the same paint for the side sills or do you need something else for the high temps from the exhaust?

You need to remove your cats or go to hi flow cats to reduce the heat in your sills. That is the best solution.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ha...another guy trying to match the "viper blue"....we posted one of this matchin color before...on all 96-97 GTS, blue/white color....we have tryed almost every brand paint you can find out there...if you want 100% match, you will have to find a Sikkens dealer near you...and trust me, you are gonna spend $$$$$$$ on just little paint....now if you are NOT that picky, then you got one more option you can live with....NAPA auto store near you, stop in there, they offer 2 type of paint, techbase($$) & crossfire(cheap), if you go with techbase, your color will match up almost 100%, put this way, you can't tell the difference by lookin at it, so about 95% matched....we have done that blue color many many times, dupont or PPG are all way off....NAPA paint is the way to go...good luck

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want give me a call and I'll turn you on to my paint guy. There are three shades of the blue on 96-97's from DC :eek: and we have painted all of the shades.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want give me a call and I'll turn you on to my paint guy. There are three shades of the blue on 96-97's from DC :eek: and we have painted all of the shades.

NOW, there's an answer you can take to the Bank!!!

Chuck, you ROCK!!!

Dave :2tu:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint doesn't match perfect on the fascia/bumper and side sills from the factory.

The front fascia and rear fascia have flex additive in them and the side sills are made of aluminum. Even if you sprayed all panels on a Viper with the same paint, the color will not match perfect.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Steve said, Sikkens. Factory paint, factory match. Don't waste your time with anything else. Same paint for sills. No issue with normal stock cat heat.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with the heat, just the color matching.