Exhaust labor cost?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering how much you all paid in labor to get your exhaust installed. I'd do it myself but i'm in West Africa so its impossible. I'm getting B&B headers without cats and B&B exhaust with the O2 simms. :usa:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a complete system, headers,hi-flows (welded) and catback fitted on a sunday afternoon, about 5-6 hours total, with ramps, right tools and a great mechanic available.

I was just helping/holding where I could, cost a bottle of Jack Daniels and a few hundred quid, but he was a friend

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $30/hr in 2001 for the Belanger installation...Headers,Belanger 3" exhaust,4 Race Bullet Dynomax mufflers. It took 4 hours start to finish. He's now at $45 hour.

Steve

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to 'just' any regular shop to get it installed, then they will probably be at $50hr or more. I have seen some going at $65hr right now.

4-5hr seems about right for a full header/exhaust install.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shop I use is a custom bending shop and has done lots of work for me the last 12 years. All of it done exceptionally well. The big difference is......we aren't in the city. Still the small town flavor. I am fortunate to have such a place one mile away from here.

Steve

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed my headers and the local exhaust shop (a good one) welded up my new cats and Borla mufflers for 200.00.
This is on a gen 1 sidepipe car. Took several hours and I thought the charges were reasonable. Depending on the type of header the install can be a little difficult. Mine are SVSI and were fairly difficult to install with the "learning curve". Much easier the second time.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd do it myself but i'm in West Africa so its impossible.
Hey you're not the guy who wants to buy everything for sale on e-bay with a cashiers check for more than the cost item and you want a wire transfer of the difference are you? :D

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope not the guy, just a US Marine guarding our embassy over here. I have been talking with DC performance and they charge 95$ an hour. Exhaust labor is going to cost 665$ should i get it done there? Or just ship it home and get it done at an exhaust shop in Southern Illinois/ St.louis area? They also want 380$ for labor to install smooth tubes and filters. Now i know how to work on cars and those dont look the least bit challenging? Anyone want to chime in and give me their opinions? I mean i'm not in a hurry because i won't be able to drive the car for another 8 months unless i get to come back for a few days in the end of july.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also know that DC performance is an awesome performance shop, but do you think its worth an extra 400$?? I'm not sure if there are many performance shops that work on Vipers in sothern illinois.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak to the B&B header install, but the Belanger headers/exhaust was a 4 hour job start to finish. The O2 simms are a plug and play thing. 5-10 minutes per side(the connectors can be knuckle busters). Any good muffler shop can do this work. Actually, they may do it better because it's what they do....all day long.

As for tubes and filters, Anyone can do this as well. I don't think it took me a 1/2 hour altogether to put them in.
Very simple job to do.

DC Performance is a very reputable shop, but IMO this is not work that requires that level of expertise.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$120 dollars in 2001. Today he would be at $180 for the same job. As stated above, I live in a rural area where costs are less, but even so, you should be able to find a good muffler shop in Il. Again, I can't speak to the fit up of the B&Bs. Mine are Belangers which were a perfect fit.

Steve

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to be near the Chicago area, you might want to call Bill Samp., the Pres of the Il Region. He will install perfectly, and I would think much cheaper.

Isn't DC performance in Cali?
Is the car there waiting for transport or something?

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah the car is in Cali, because thats where i bought it from and its getting some warranty work done at DC performance. Thats why i was thinking about just having them do it, because its less of a hassle and then from there it is being shipped in a closed trailer with reliable shipping to Southern Illinois.